Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Thieves' Kitchen, 'The Clockwork Universe'

Listening to Knifeworld's The Unraveling for perhaps only the second time. Holy cow... I think I may have to get this one on vinyl.

Actually, I may have to get both these albums on vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Hmmm, you see I don't agree. I found this stuff to be exceptionally disappointing [...] I guess it comes down to the fact that the symphonic stuff has never done much of anything for me.
    Well, TK still are a so-called 'symphonic' rock band, give or take the obvious Canterbury infection, so I can perfectly see why you wouldn't necessarily feel totally at home in their world if you don't appreciate such aesthetic to begin with. However, being someone whose fancy for (or belief in the continued artistic validity of) 'symph' progressive more or less disintegrated 10-15 years ago, I can tell you that TK are one of very few acts who reassess my past interests and bring promise of a rewarding future for this specific approach to songwriting, arrangements and performance.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Hmmm, you see I don't agree. I found this stuff to be exceptionally disappointing where as Knifeworld and just about anything Kavus does never fails to engage and result in further and further plays. I guess it comes down to the fact that the symphonic stuff has never done much of anything for me.
    Give their latest another chance, it's a beautiful work.

I do agree that Kavus is an engaging chap and I find many interesting corners to explore in his music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TK have given themselves a difficult task. Canterbury composition with a symphonic palette. Keyboard-wise, it's a little like Dave Stewart taking over Tony Banks' keyboard rig. And in the case of the new album, Richard Sinclair playing Chris Squire's bass rig.

Canterbury fans are probably wondering why one needs all the melodramatic cinematic sounds. Symphonic fans are foiled by the cerebral, deliberate compositional flow, wondering where the theatrical gestures and whiddly synth went.

Meanwhile, Phil is just doing what sounds beautiful to him. I hope they continue down this road and accumulate an audience.

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post
    TK have given themselves a difficult task. Canterbury composition with a symphonic palette. Keyboard-wise, it's a little like Dave Stewart taking over Tony Banks' keyboard rig. And in the case of the new album, Richard Sinclair playing Chris Squire's bass rig.

Canterbury fans are probably wondering why one needs all the melodramatic cinematic sounds. Symphonic fans are foiled by the cerebral, deliberate compositional flow, wondering where the theatrical gestures and whiddly synth went.

Meanwhile, Phil is just doing what sounds beautiful to him. I hope they continue down this road and accumulate an audience.
    Interesting points. I hadn't thought of it that way, but I'm largely in agreement with you. They're merging two schools of music that don't always jive together, but if The Clockwork Universe is any indication, it's a musical vein well worth mining.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    [...] However, being someone whose fancy for (or belief in the continued artistic validity of) 'symph' progressive more or less disintegrated 10-15 years ago, I can tell you that TK are one of very few acts who reassess my past interests and bring promise of a rewarding future for this specific approach to songwriting, arrangements and performance.
    SS, knowing you and your musical preferences from my time spent here, that says quite a lot about Thieves' Kitchen that they're able to elicit such a response. It's quite a compliment.

I liked them before they were cool.

Very glad Phil is still going .

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    I liked them before they were cool.

Very glad Phil is still going .
    Oh, and here I thought they were always cool. But then, I can never figure out what cool is

Jefferson James
    "Library Song" is the first music I've heard by this band (although I have seen the band name floating around for quite some years now). Damn, this is really hitting me in a very nice place (somewhere between the elbow and the forefinger). Thanks to TK for having The Clockwork Universe streaming in full for my sampling delight, it's a delicious respite this chilly mountain morning.

Based on past descriptions of this band I expected the music to sound way more atonal and flat-out weird, perhaps a Thinking Plague kind of overall vibe. Rather I am reminded more of '80s jazz/rock fusion sprinkled liberally with wisps of Mike Keneally augmented with approx. 6 rounded tablespoons of Kimara Sajn.

These lead vocals -- is there a term for this kind of singing? Very "on the beat", not much glissading or sliding between notes, but sung more as if played on a keyboard. More worked-out rather than just letting the melodies rip with everything they've got. Thinking Plague and Cirrus Bay's vocalists seem more "boxed-in" than TK's vocalist but fall within the same general vocal stylings to my ears. I think it's a Canterbury thing but then again, I don't even know what Canterbury is.

Is there a connection betwixt Kavus/Knifeworld and Thieves Kitchen? I guess Google is my acquaintance, but seeing Kavus' name come up in this thread has me wondering.

A cursory comparison between the two bands: Knifeworld are more energetic and rawk with succinct, intricate "pop" songwriting stretched to near-breaking point whereas Thieves Kitchen feel more languid, atmospheric (although I am gratefully hearing none of the "atmospheric" cliches ie. long-ass single note held forever crap), with more of a "floaty" approach to the chord changes.

Both bands? Excellent to these jangle-jaded ears.

Very gratified to be listening to The Clockwork Universe today, thank you Prog Ears. This is going to sit nicely between my Cirrus Bay (with their more Genesis kind of pastoral songwriting vibe) and Thinking Plague (with their more angular, orchestrated approach) albums.

Edit: Also hearing some Allan Holdsworth musical influence, chord-change-wise, in the excellent and personal favorite "The Scientist's Wife". This is so worth having, I need this in the car.
    Last edited by Jefferson James; 02-24-2016 at 01:38 PM.

There's no connection with Kavus as far as I am aware Kerry, I think the comparison was in how their respective media profiles differ. There's room for both in my own progressive world. I enjoyed what you wrote above, and am in full agreement, this is indeed music to sooth "jangle-jaded ears".

Incidentally the impending Knifeworld release threatens to be excellent, judging from a Facebook post from Sid Smith the other day, I'm chomping at the bit to hear it.

Yeah, not sure how Kavus Torabi got thrown into this. He's wonderful, but apples and oranges.

Besides certain compositional characteristics, the Canterbury perception might be helped on by the way Amy Darby's voice is used a little like Amanda Parsons' was in National Health. I think anybody who enjoys highly structured Canterbury (Hatfield, National Health, even Bruford) as well as pastoral English symphonic prog is likely to find recent Thieves Kitchen very, very enjoyable after a few listens.

Very glad to hear you're enjoying it, Kerry! I know what you mean about the vocals, although I think they are a perfect fit with this type of music.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    "Library Song" is the first music I've heard by this band (although I have seen the band name floating around for quite some years now). Damn, this is really hitting me in a very nice place (somewhere between the elbow and the forefinger). Thanks to TK for having The Clockwork Universe streaming in full for my sampling delight, it's a delicious respite this chilly mountain morning.

Based on past descriptions of this band I expected the music to sound way more atonal and flat-out weird, perhaps a Thinking Plague kind of overall vibe. Rather I am reminded more of '80s jazz/rock fusion sprinkled liberally with wisps of Mike Keneally augmented with approx. 6 rounded tablespoons of Kimara Sajn.

These lead vocals -- is there a term for this kind of singing? Very "on the beat", not much glissading or sliding between notes, but sung more as if played on a keyboard. More worked-out rather than just letting the melodies rip with everything they've got. Thinking Plague and Cirrus Bay's vocalists seem more "boxed-in" than TK's vocalist but fall within the same general vocal stylings to my ears. I think it's a Canterbury thing but then again, I don't even know what Canterbury is.

Is there a connection betwixt Kavus/Knifeworld and Thieves Kitchen? I guess Google is my acquaintance, but seeing Kavus' name come up in this thread has me wondering.

A cursory comparison between the two bands: Knifeworld are more energetic and rawk with succinct, intricate "pop" songwriting stretched to near-breaking point whereas Thieves Kitchen feel more languid, atmospheric (although I am gratefully hearing none of the "atmospheric" cliches ie. long-ass single note held forever crap), with more of a "floaty" approach to the chord changes.

Both bands? Excellent to these jangle-jaded ears.

Very gratified to be listening to The Clockwork Universe today, thank you Prog Ears. This is going to sit nicely between my Cirrus Bay (with their more Genesis kind of pastoral songwriting vibe) and Thinking Plague (with their more angular, orchestrated approach) albums.

Edit: Also hearing some Allan Holdsworth musical influence, chord-change-wise, in the excellent and personal favorite "The Scientist's Wife". This is so worth having, I need this in the car.
    I definitely have always heard a bit of Holdsworth in Phil Mercy's playing. As to connections, not with Knifeworld, but Anglagard of course. And since you kindly mentioned Cirrus Bay () Phil and Amy did perform on our previous cd, much to our delight.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    Very gratified to be listening to The Clockwork Universe today, thank you Prog Ears. This is going to sit nicely between my Cirrus Bay (with their more Genesis kind of pastoral songwriting vibe) and Thinking Plague (with their more angular, orchestrated approach) albums
    That's funny, because in my collection Thieves' Kitchen is also right next to Thinking Plague.

Of course, my cds are in alphabetical order

I have to say that now, today while drinking, this is an absolutely amazing album.

Wow! Guess I didn't really listen closely enough; I mean, I dug it . but this is plain awesome! Jesus!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I have to say that now, today while drinking, this is an absolutely amazing album.

Wow! Guess I didn't really listen closely enough; I mean, I dug it . but this is plain awesome! Jesus!
    Glad you're enjoying it so much. I'm quite inclined to agree with your assessment.