Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Thieves' Kitchen, 'The Clockwork Universe'

New Thieves' Kitchen, 'The Clockwork Universe'

The new Thieves' Kitchen album, 'The Clockwork Universe' is available for preorder Sunday 23rd of August, and will be released 23rd of September. Here is the official announcement from their website: https://thieveskitchen.wordpress.com/ I see they've added Anglagard bassist Johan Brand, further deepening their Anglagard connection. I'm thinking this one just might make a whole lot of top ten lists for 2015.

Yippee! I love this band (and Phil M. knows it).

Amy Darby's singing is beautifully ethereal.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Yippee! I love this band (and Phil M. knows it).

Amy Darby's singing is beautifully ethereal.
    Yep me too. (including the part about Phil knowing it) And yes Amy's voice is pure magic.

I'm surprised at the lack of response here, as these guys are really good! The music is very tight, compositions very well written, with hints of symph, Canterbury and fusion, and the musicianship is impeccable. Here is a taste of part one of an older track for those uninitiated:

Yeah I loved "The Water Road" when it came out, but the last one never really clicked for me.... I'll likely buy.. :-)

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

Very exciting announcement. I listened to the last one many, many times.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I'm surprised at the lack of response here, as these guys are really good!
    ... but good enough to compete with endless chatter about the latest Yes line-up

I loved The Water Road, and will be looking out for this one with some excitement.

Great news - really looking forward to hearing this.

Richard

Thanks for the comments, guys

..... a taste of things to come for you

Phil.

Can't wait! Loved TK from the beginning - always remember Mark Robotham posting his drum charts and howling in despair!

It's also been great to hear a genuine evolution as line-ups change and musical ideas take shape so, if the trailer's anything to go by, it's still ongoing - hooray!
    What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Kanukisbrave View Post
    Yeah I loved "The Water Road" when it came out, but the last one never really clicked for me.... I'll likely buy.. :-)
    Also my feelings. Absolutely loved Water Road, and really like Shibboleth, but the last one, One For Sorrow, Two For Joy, didn't totally click with me. I kept it and spun it recently, and it's certainly listenable, but not as compelling as their prior two releases for me.

I still plan to get this new one when it comes out. I really like the band and respect what they do. If their muse takes them in a different direction from my tastes, then that's fine, though I'm hoping for a bit more of the balance of delicate and muscular sections they had on Water Road and Shibboleth.

Bill

Very fine band. I didn't hear their previous one, but this new one sounds solid.

The Water Road is excellent and still gets regular spins at my house, although this "type" of progressive isn't fully my thing anymore. They're really ace at what they do.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 08-26-2015 at 03:42 PM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I liked the Water Road a lot (the title track, WOW), but found One for Sorrow more fulfilling. So many powerful moments, and the last track can be just emotionally overwhelming to me at the right time and mood. Naysayers, give One for Sorrow 3 or 4 listens in a row. 2013 was a great year for prog releases and you might not have given this one enough time and attention.

A little sad Brad Waissman won't be on the new one. I appreciated his understated but harmonically deft bass playing.

So, as a 'vendor', I was allowed to hear the new one so I knew what we were buying.

I thought it was great. Really great. Fans of their more recent stuff, as well as Canterbury fans who might not know them, but should know them will certainly enjoy it.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm a fan. Looking forward to the new release.

I only have their last two, "The Water Road" and "One for the Sorrow, Two for the Joy" and thoroughly enjoyed both.

I will get this when it is released. No doubt.

I also have to start working backwards for the 3 disks I don't own.

Just listened to the trailer above. I'm definitely in, sounds really promising.

Bill

Old man of prog
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Just listened to the trailer above. I'm definitely in, sounds really promising.

Bill

Sounds great. I hope the band will consider selling it on bandcamp.

Between working, writing and recording haven't had a chance til now to check out the trailer. Wow, the clips for 'Library Song' and 'Railway Time' blew me away, as did something tight and canterburyish later in the clip. Actually it all sounds really, really good!

after watching that trailer I wonder if they couldn't make a DVD of the new recording to go with the CD..

That trailer was very well done :-)

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Canterbury fans who might not know them, but should know them will certainly enjoy it.
    Interestingly, the teaser displays an impression of a band moving even further into 'Canterburian harmonics' - which is a damn good thing by me. Seems like there are several contemporary British progressive groups taking this direction, albeit with different emphasis; Sanguine Hum, Syd Arthur, Trojan Horse, Schnauser and so on. A good thing!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Liked the last one a lot. Drummer Paul reliably informs me that this one is even better

Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Interestingly, the teaser displays an impression of a band moving even further into 'Canterburian harmonics' - which is a damn good thing by me. Seems like there are several contemporary British progressive groups taking this direction, albeit with different emphasis; Sanguine Hum, Syd Arthur, Trojan Horse, Schnauser and so on. A good thing!
    A good thing it sure is!

Ah! Ordered!

Well. Received my copy in the mail and have listened to it through. I have no doubts this is their finest album to date. I was pretty much blown away by every song. Normally I reserve opinions until I've allowed something to sink in, and the initial emotion to wear off, but this... this is really, really good. I remember when Dave Stewart wrote music like this...