Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Thieves' Kitchen, 'The Clockwork Universe'

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Well. Received my copy in the mail and have listened to it through. I have no doubts this is their finest album to date. I was pretty much blown away by every song. Normally I reserve opinions until I've allowed something to sink in, and the initial emotion to wear off, but this... this is really, really good. I remember when Dave Stewart wrote music like this...
    I'm just now seeing this pop up in the domestic vendors sites, I'll put this on my next order for sure. Hope I like it as much as you do!

Just ordered (also just back from Republica Dominica).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I'm just now seeing this pop up in the domestic vendors sites, I'll put this on my next order for sure. Hope I like it as much as you do!
    I hope so too. I actually listened twice today, and appreciated it even more on 2nd listen. Definitely a Hatfield & The North vibe in there at times.

Had time to give a few spins now and everyone involved should be rightfully pleased and proud with this beautiful and elegant album. The mix of shifting time signatures and twisting, lovely chord sequences give TK music a brooding feeling of searching for 'something' in the great unknown which I find really compelling. Terrific performances and sound too.

Well on seeing a few favourable opinions from people I respect, I have jumped in and ordered this too! Looking forwards to giving it a spin.

Well, I've listened to this about 6 times now, and have to say I am really really liking this one. I'd say this and Advent are runaways for my favorite of the year (Rounding out my top 5 would also include 'Hooffoot' and 'Steven Wilson', and maybe 'Glass Hammer') The timing was good for me as its hard to not be a little distracted during a 'writing' phase of a new album. That was out of the way when this arrived in my mailbox, so I've been able to really dive in and enjoy the different feel, the jazzy/canterbury type chords. All 6 tracks are really excellent. Wondering how those who have now received the album and have been able to listen are feeling about it.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Really enjoying this!

Exquisite as expected.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Thanks for the links, I will check out TK's music.

Frustratingly I am still waiting for my copy, it's been a few days longer than hoped.

Got this a couple of days ago from Laser's Edge and just tonight had a chance to listen to it. First reaction ... Fantastic!

To my ears, this one rocks a bit more than the previous album. I wasn't in view of the player so I didn't catch the song titles or track numbers, but there's a point around the middle of the record (after the piano/guitar piece) where the album picks up steam and basically doesn't let go until the very end. Everybody sounds great, as usual, but I really, really like what Johan Brand brings to the table on bass here. For me, it's a nice little "tweak" to the TK sound.

I'd also say this is a really beautiful package. I like the "slipcase," and the feel of the paper in the booklet. Very nicely done.

I'm definitely going to enjoy digging into this one.

Bill

Just checked out the trailer, finally, and was quite floored by the snippets contained. I have The Water Road, but haven't listened to it in years (shameful, I know...). This stuff sounds really nice!

I'm putting it on the wishlist.

Edit: Just listened to Library Song on Bandcamp, and I am floored. This is top-notch stuff for sure. Why haven't I been following this band more closely?!

So many great things on this album. I've really been enjoying it. Everyone sounds wonderful. Bravo
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Just placed an order for this through Wayside Music, along with the new Oranges And Lemons CD/Blu-ray. Can't wait to hear them.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Just placed an order for this through Wayside Music, along with the new Oranges And Lemons CD/Blu-ray. Can't wait to hear them.
    I think for some reason 'Thieves' Kitchen' has been flying under many peoples radar for some reason, which seems odd to me given their Anglagard connection, and their level of talent. Glad you liked what you heard!

Been listening to this one quite a bit lately, and still hearing new things in these songs. There's some really great music on this disc. Love the jazz and Canterbury influences. Library Song is a killer opener too.

Wonderful album from a wonderful band - delightfully quirky, distinct and fresh. I really wish that TK were achieving the kind of attention that the likes of Knifeworld and Kavus Torabi's other projects get (nothing against him or his work, I think they're consistently excellent) - they're every bit as good, imho.

I think Kavus is a little more out there in presenting, connecting and posting and chatting, so that helps his profile, and he comes across as a cool and laid back chap. The TK people seem very quiet in comparison and let the music do their talking, which does not seem to garner attention from the prog "multitude". Shame because this is a terrific album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have three albums by this band I don't quite understand why because their music always leaves me completely cold when I actually listen to it.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I have three albums by this band I don't quite understand why because their music always leaves me completely cold when I actually listen to it.
    With The Water Road I find myself listening to those lengthy opening and closing tracks and that short one with vox+rhodes, though pretty much skipping what's between there. With this new one I'm quite convinced throughout the whole thing. I suppose it's the all-the-more pronounced Canterbury influx which totally won me over.

A great artistic achievement and statement for the band and a most pleasurable listening experience for us good folks.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    With The Water Road I find myself listening to those lengthy opening and closing tracks and that short one with vox+rhodes, though pretty much skipping what's between there. With this new one I'm quite convinced throughout the whole thing. I suppose it's the all-the-more pronounced Canterbury influx which totally won me over.
    I love Canterbury music and kind of understand Thieves' Kitchens' connection to that sound but I just don't feel the love. Sorry

(I own the three most recent albums. I haven't heard earlier stuff.)
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

It's all good. I've been really enjoying The Clockwork Universe. A lot. What a cool band. I need to get more of their stuff, methinks. They were recommended to me right here on PE. Along with Advent, they have been my best finds of late.
    The Prog Corner

The last three Thieves Kitchen albums are essential for anybody who enjoys symphonic prog with serious musical sophistication. Some of this music can make me blubber tears when it hits me right.

Kcrimso, I say listen to it even if you don't like it. It's good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I think Kavus is a little more out there in presenting, connecting and posting and chatting, so that helps his profile, and he comes across as a cool and laid back chap. The TK people seem very quiet in comparison and let the music do their talking, which does not seem to garner attention from the prog "multitude". Shame because this is a terrific album.
    Hmmm, you see I don't agree. I found this stuff to be exceptionally disappointing where as Knifeworld and just about anything Kavus does never fails to engage and result in further and further plays. I guess it comes down to the fact that the symphonic stuff has never done much of anything for me.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Hmmm, you see I don't agree. I found this stuff to be exceptionally disappointing where as Knifeworld and just about anything Kavus does never fails to engage and result in further and further plays. I guess it comes down to the fact that the symphonic stuff has never done much of anything for me.
    Apples and oranges, IMO. Personally, the strong Canterbury influences make me keep coming back to The Clockwork Universe. It's classy stuff.

There's room for both Thieves' Kitchen and Knifeworld in my record collection. They reach different areas of my brain.