Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dregs Reunion!

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I've seen them four times and one of those times was with Mark. One (of many) of the cool things about having him there is that he can play a second guitar part when needed.
    It's too bad Mark O'Connor gave up the guitar. He was a great player. In fact, he is pretty great on any instrument he picks up.

I can't believe I've never seen Morse live. He's one of my favorites, and one of the most identifiable guitarists around. Definitely a bummer about no Andy. LaRue is awesome, but it's just not the same vibe. Plus his bass looks like a toilet seat.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    I can't believe I've never seen Morse live. He's one of my favorites, and one of the most identifiable guitarists around. Definitely a bummer about no Andy. LaRue is awesome, but it's just not the same vibe. Plus his bass looks like a toilet seat.
    He is definitely a monster. I saw the DD's in 1979 at the University of Arizona and then saw Steve be the warm-up act for DeLucia/DiMeola/McGlaughlin the next year. (Steve played an encore with the three boys...superb!) Steve is also very nice and mingled with the crowd before the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I do too. And I like Dave's tone better.
    I've seen Dave both with the Dregs and with SMB, and I can't disagree about LaRue+Dregs = . Then again, I've seen the Dregs with T (and T opening for the SMB), and with Jordan Rudess. The one time the Dregs rolled thru Phx with Andy West, the gig was cancelled. Already mentioned the fiddlin' lineups with Mark and Allen.

Variety is the spice of life.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Don't you mean the PUMPKIN Spice of life? Fall is right around the corner!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Don't you mean the PUMPKIN Spice of life? Fall is right around the corner!
    does this work for you? http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2171/13838/
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Saw T open for the SMB back in '92 or so. He was on crutches and had to be helped up on stage. Was that injury or disease?

Great encore with him and the SMB, Mississippi Queen and a whole host of other classic rock tunes in a medley. Funny, I spelled Queen wrong and got Mississippi right.

If the Dregs come here I'll be there. Probably won't, as it's shitty Las Vegas, but I'll wish for the best. I'm also wishing to see Flying Colors, Neal Morse, Spock's Beard and a whole host of other bands that ain't ever going to happen while living here so my wishes are kind of like spitting in the hand. That don't stop me from hoping but my hopes are admittedly slim.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by killmymusic View Post
    Better than a Genesis w.G. reunion!!
    way better IMO

I'm psyched!!!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Yes, and as I said so do I and I don't care. I want a fat guy with an Alembic, shorts and sunglasses.

Wait, that didn't come out right.
    I love Dave's playing, as I said, and am perfectly happy with him playing with The Dregs, but I'd love to see Andy with them.
    I've seen both, separately and together. I met Andy after a gig he played with Joaquin Lievano in Oakland, Ca. He was staying in Marin with
    some friends. He said he was doing lessons for $40 an hour. I had little money, but so wish I'd done it. He said I could record it too.
    One of life's regrets. Maybe 83 or so, I'm guessing. I bought my Alembic Spoiler in 85. Not a single regret there. Sorry about Mark Parrish.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    I love Dave's playing, as I said, and am perfectly happy with him playing with The Dregs, but I'd love to see Andy with them.
    I've seen both, separately and together. I met Andy after a gig he played with Joaquin Lievano in Oakland, Ca. He was staying in Marin with
    some friends. He said he was doing lessons for $40 an hour. I had little money, but so wish I'd done it. He said I could record it too.
    One of life's regrets. Maybe 83 or so, I'm guessing. I bought my Alembic Spoiler in 85. Not a single regret there. Sorry about Mark Parrish.
    Wow! You saw Joaquin Lievano? I always wanted to catch him solo. I saw him Ponty a few times in the "dueling guitarist" tours of the 70's and I really like a few of his solo CDs.

As much as I love DLaR's playing, I've never warmed to his tone. Not being a musician, I can only say it's too "sparkly." I think that's one reason Steve's tone has become so thick and "syrupy."

Andy West has a really unique style of playing which helped make the Dreg's music as interesting as it is on all layers. LaRue is a wonderful player and does the job well, but his style is nothing like Andy West's. I would be surprised if Andy was back on board for this reunion though.

This is great news. I saw The Dregs when they came to town a number of years back and it was an incredible show, and I was also surprised at how much I liked the SMB as the opener. I regretted not inviting a bunch of friends who would have also appreciated it. Hopefully they'll come back to Salt Lake and I can make up for it.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Saw them back in '78 (or whenever it was) touring for Dregs of the Earth and that still ranks in my top 10 shows.

Never saw them live, but I have this fine DVD:

Although a reunion is very good news, it would even be better news if they recorded new material.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    I bought my Alembic Spoiler in 85. Not a single regret there.

I picked up a '86 Distillate that had been custom ordered as long scale (most are medium, like Spoilers) about a year ago. Great bass!

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post

I picked up a '86 Distillate that had been custom ordered as long scale (most are medium, like Spoilers) about a year ago. Great bass!
    I discovered medium scale basses are perfect for me when I played and then bought my Spoiler. I bought this Scottish, hand made bass and received it in April.
    I'll be happy to get it onto a stage Sep. 27. Eve IONA: http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2014/11...ces-iona-bass/
    I have no problem with LaRue's tone, personally, though Andy on his Alembic is sublime, no doubt!

I saw them at a small rock club in Ft. Liquordale about 10 years ago or so. I'd seen Steve Morse with Deep Purple before seeing the Dregs and was really blown away by that experience. When I saw The Dregs I was equally impressed. Jerry Goodman was in the band (who I didn't know played with Mahavishnu), T. Lavits, Rod Morgenstein, and Dave LaRue. Rod's drumming was the highlight for me that night. Normally I don't watch drummers or pay that much attention to them, but I was really impressed with Rod at that show. He did a great solo spot with a drum machine and his usual, acoustic kit. Agree about Dave LaRue, killer bassist. I caught Dave LaRue at the one G3 show I attended back in 2001. He played with Petrucci and Portnoy. Of the three big acts I saw that night, Petrucci, Portnoy, LaRue played and sounded the best. The other 2 acts were just a little too gonzo, shreddy for me.

I only have one Dregs album (What If.....?). Been years since I've played it. I was introduced to Steve Morse about 30 years ago when a friend played me "The Introduction." I was gobsmacked by that album. Steve just sounded so classy, playing that over-the-top, Southern Rock, instrumental, fusion. Loved that mongrel guitar he played. I'd love to see Steve play that thing live and take a break from playing those Music Man guitars he always plays. He just doesn't have the same bite.

Banned
    [emoji322][emoji106]🏿[emoji291][emoji560][emoji172]

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Never saw them live, but I have this fine DVD:
    I have it too; it's the same show that's on the live portion (side 2) of "Night of the Living Dregs." It's really good, aside from the camera work.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Although a reunion is very good news, it would even be better news if they recorded new material.
    Now THAT would be the bee's knees!

BTW, my (former) band, Bad Dog U opened for The Dregs at Chicago's Park West. It was one of the most memorable highlights of my life. Steve Morse told me that we had some "neat tunes."

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    What's the most well known Dregs song? If there is one.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What's the most well known Dregs song? If there is one.
    Well known by who? They never had a single, at least not to my knowledge and if they did, I'd be surprised. They only did two vocal songs in their entire career, both on the "Industry Standard" album, but I doubt those got much if any airplay. I suppose if we took a poll, we could come up with a most popular Dregs tune among the fans, but that doesn't exactly qualify as "well known."

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    As stated here before, I saw the Dixie Dregs in the late 70s outside at NC State. Blew me away. Brownies were good too.

I think Take it Off The Top actually got a little airplay when it came out but in a sense Kat Food may be there best known song even if people don't know what it is because I hear classic rock stations using it a lot as background music for concert reports and that kind of thing.