Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steve Howe: The pivotal role in ABWH album

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Howe View Post
    The first Asia record reeks of me being there
    Interesting choice of words!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I had the impression most of that album was written by Sherwood and Squire in the early 90's, and were supposed to form the core of a solo album that Squire was working on. The story I remember hearing was when they signed to whichever label it was that released Open Your Eyes, the label chieftans insisted on the band developing the songs that Squire had intended for his solo album.

So is this sort of like Union, where even the stuff that sounds like Steve is actually the studio rat deputy, or are the solos at least actually Steve or what?
    That's a common misconception about OYE. Only two songs, the title track and "Man in the Moon", originated from the Chris Squire Experiment sessions, which later formed the bulk of the first Conspiracy album. The rest of the album was written anew, mostly by Sherwood but with contributions from Squire and Anderson and a small contribution at the end by Howe/Anderson ("From the Balcony").

The guitar situation is somewhat different from Union, in that many (but not all) of the solos on OYE were played and written by Howe during a short period at the end of the OYE sessions after he flew out to L.A., while the rest of the OYE guitar parts are all Sherwood. The two sound nothing alike on guitar, so it's pretty easy to tell who's playing what, actually. This was nothing like Union where Jimi Haun imitated Howe, who's almost not on that album at all.

It appears that the lead guitar chair was in flux at some point during the OYE sessions, and it wasn't certain that Howe would be involved.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    That's a common misconception about OYE. Only two songs, the title track and "Man in the Moon", originated from the Chris Squire Experiment sessions, which later formed the bulk of the first Conspiracy album. The rest of the album was written anew, mostly by Sherwood but with contributions from Squire and Anderson and a small contribution at the end by Howe/Anderson ("From the Balcony").

The guitar situation is somewhat different from Union, in that many (but not all) of the solos on OYE were played and written by Howe during a short period at the end of the OYE sessions after he flew out to L.A., while the rest of the OYE guitar parts are all Sherwood. The two sound nothing alike on guitar, so it's pretty easy to tell who's playing what, actually. This was nothing like Union where Jimi Haun imitated Howe, who's almost not on that album at all.

It appears that the lead guitar chair was in flux at some point during the OYE sessions, and it wasn't certain that Howe would be involved.
    Misconception or not--either way it sucks as a Yes album---most fans think this---Yes went thru lazy periods where it let outsiders run the show---VERY unusual for a prog super group. And they suffered for it. I have OYE and listened to it several times---I listened to again recently--it's just not Yes. ANd it's not music I'm much interested in.

I like the way Steve Howe writes. That lengthened intro to Quartet in the demo is gorgeous. I see ABWH could have been better than it was with more Howe input in the end, but that's probably always the case with later Yes.

And, as to 'Australia', since the guitar and song itself are so amazing, I can forgive the imperfect vocals. I find that track, and 'Pleasure Stole The Night' pretty outstanding, actually. It's 'Lost Symphony' I just cant get into.

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    Misconception or not--either way it sucks as a Yes album---most fans think this---Yes went thru lazy periods where it let outsiders run the show---VERY unusual for a prog super group. And they suffered for it. I have OYE and listened to it several times---I listened to again recently--it's just not Yes. ANd it's not music I'm much interested in.
    Considering you think Yes ended around 1978, why did you bother to pick up OYE? To me, OYE isn't a Yes album (yeah, I know it is Yes) , but I like half of it as late 90s music.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I like the way Steve Howe writes. That lengthened intro to Quartet in the demo is gorgeous. I see ABWH could have been better than it was with more Howe input in the end, but that's probably always the case with later Yes.
    Well... he probably had a very good chance to give input on last Yes album. It did not work out so well.

I had this album. I really wanted to like it. I put it in the same pile as 9012? and Magnification, and got rid of it. I'll take 80s Genesis over 80s Yes (not counting Drama, which I really like a lot).

It had some nice moments and agree that Howe is pivotal on this! I still give it a spin! Yes in whatever carnation always gave me more listening leasure than Genesis. Anything post Duke I just find sugary sickly. For all their hit singles nothing is remembered critically as a pop classic.
    Last edited by Rufus; 08-22-2015 at 01:29 PM.

I vastly prefer pop Yes to pop Genesis.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

ABWH was more of an event then an album. these guys haven't played together for over 10 years..... ABWH/Union is what shouldn't have happened. too many cooks spoiled the soup.

it's not a perfect album, but i'll take it over anything that doesn't have Jon Anderson on it.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    I had no idea anyone in Yes sang that poorly.
    This has provided me with yet another opportunity to post this! Sorry folks, I find it impossible to resist.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Ever heard Steve's first solo album... "Australia"... ouch..
    "Will O' The Wisp" is the most cringeworthy example IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    And, as to 'Australia', since the guitar and song itself are so amazing, I can forgive the imperfect vocals. I find that track, and 'Pleasure Stole The Night' pretty outstanding, actually. It's 'Lost Symphony' I just cant get into.
    You pretty much have to forgive the vocals on this album ('imperfect' is a kind term), which otherwise is excellent IMO. I love "Lost Symphony" btw! That and "Beginnings" are probably my two favourites.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    This has provided me with yet another opportunity to post this! Sorry folks, I find it impossible to resist.

"Will O' The Wisp" is the most cringeworthy example IMO.

You pretty much have to forgive the vocals on this album ('imperfect' is a kind term), which otherwise is excellent IMO. I love "Lost Symphony" btw! That and "Beginnings" are probably my two favourites.
    Overall I'm a huge fan of his first album.. Just wish in hindsight he had found a different vocalist.. Jon perhaps? They were certainly on good terms at that point.. With his second album he did find someone to sing.. Claire Hamill I believe..