Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 8 Great Psychedelic albums

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    It would't make my top 10 of the style, but an overlooked excellent psychedelic album (because most of their stuff was outside the psych realm) IMO is the self-titled Funkadelic album.

A funky psychedelic treat, if you've never heard it.
    Fantastic!

It would't make my top 10 of the style, but an overlooked excellent psychedelic album (because most of their stuff was outside the psych realm) IMO is the self-titled Funkadelic album.

The same can almost be said for Parliament's 1970 album as well (reissued as "Osmium" in 90s)

For the record, Wikipedia cites the first ZZ Top lineup as Billy Gibbons, organist Lanier Grieg, and a drummer named Dan Mitchell. This lineup actually recorded a single, but immediately afterwards, Grieg and Mitchell left, with Mitchell being replaced by Frank Beard and bassist Billy Etheridge joining. Etheridge was unwilling to sign a deal with London Records, so he was replaced by Dusty Hill. This all apparently happened within the first year of the band's existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Here's what I found out about Head (I only have a download, not the incredibly rare LP on the Buddah label, which included an 8-page coloring book): This is not exactly what you expect from the Buddah label. What you have here is strange and trippy electronic music played on Moog by Nik Raicevic. Three extended cuts, all with drug-oriented themes: "Cannabis Sativa," "Methedrine," and "Lysergic Acid Diethylamide." "Cannabis Sativa" consists of strange droning and sound effects. He revisited this piece on his final album, Zero Gravity by including extra sound effects. "Methedrine" has some really strange sounds I can't explain, while "Lysergic Acid Diethylamide" is actually "Cannabis Sativa" played at twice the speed. All the same sound effects are there, just twice as fast.
    Yes, this is the HEAD album he is referring to and it is a one-man-project of no other than Nik Raicevic (aka Nik Pascal) who established his private Narco label to release more obscure and trippy electronic stuff in the 70s.

Finding the book with the record, or a copy without much ringware, is almost impossible. I had to swap three copies of "Head" (starting from the 80s) before I ended on a decent one with EX cover condition + book.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

If I limited myself to just 10, my list would have been:

1. LOVE Forever Changes

---
    2. PINK FLOYD Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    3. INCREDIBLE STRING BAND The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter
    4. BRAINTICKET Brainticket
    5. GROUP 1850 Agemo's Trip to Mother Earth
    6. PEARLS BEFORE SWINE Balaklava
    7. GREATFUL DEAD Anthem of the Sun
    8. KALEIDOSCOPE (UK) Tangerine Dream
    9. CARAVAN Caravan
    10. PEOPLE Ceremony: Buddha Meet Rock
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Ironically, of their early albums, the much heralded (and admittedly great) Maggot Brain is actually the LEAST psychedelic. The s/t and Free Your Mind are completely stoned, of course.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Ironically, of their early albums, the much heralded (and admittedly great) Maggot Brain is actually the LEAST psychedelic. The s/t and Free Your Mind are completely stoned, of course.
    The awesome Maggot Brain title track is in that mold, but the rest of it presages the band's middle period.