Thread: Krautrock Book "Future Days"

Krautrock Book "Future Days"

David Stubbs has just put out a book called Future Days about Krautrock. Just getting into it, although I was a little put off that he misspelled Eloy as Eloi several times while also dismissing them out of hand. I put the misspelling off to an editor who thought he was referring to the H.G. Wells Time Machine beings, the Eloi, and not the band named after them who misspelled it in the first place. (Maybe in the German translation?) http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...2194745/echoes

On the same amazon-page there's also this one: Krautrock, Cosmick Rock And Its Legacy, which is the book I have.

I have another book, which is mentioned at the end of the book
    Henning Dedekind - Krautrock

I read Future Days earlier this year and found it to be pretty good, if not quite the definitive book it claims to be. The usual suspects are the focus of the book with a handful of fellow travellers for each major band. There is some good info but the book seems to get bogged down, particularly towards the end, trying to place the movement into the greater German mindset. Unsurprisingly, it does have a bit of the anti-prog bias that's typical of so many UK post-punk critics that some may find a hindrance. (I didn't) If you're looking to find out about some lost classic or something you didn't know you'll probably be disappointed. If you are more interested in what Stubbs thinks it all meant then you'll probably enjoy it.
    Last edited by frippster; 08-17-2015 at 03:56 PM.