Thread: FEATURED CD - Nik Turner's Sphynx : Xintoday

FEATURED CD - Nik Turner's Sphynx : Xintoday

Per Allmusic:
    Now here's something you don't hear everyday -- a space rock saxophonist, stripping down to near acoustic basics, and dedicating not just an album, but an entire band and stage show to the spirits of ancient Egypt. Nine tracks recorded with a veritable space rock supergroup (sundry ex-Hawkwind and Gong members, Steve Hillage, Morris Pert, and more) should, if track records are anything to go by, have delivered an album of almost unrelenting heaviness and weirdness. Instead, released today Xitintoday would be categorized "mystic new age" and praised (or buried) accordingly -- thank goodness such meaningless terms didn't exist in 1978, and this magical, mysterious, and, most of all, moody album was greeted on its own terms. Songs as such do not exist; rather, lyrics and arrangements follow an atmosphere-licked destiny of their own making, to take the listener deep inside some forgotten pyramid, to witness the spectral rituals being enacted therein. Liberal use of a vocoder adds to the listener's dislocation, and the only caveat is -- don't buy the 1994 CD. It's an almost completely different record!
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/xitintoday-mw0000561619

Regards,

Duncan

It took me a long time find this one on vinyl. Very mellow album...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Aren't the flute parts supposed to have been recorded inside a pyramid?

Quote Originally Posted by helicase View Post
    Aren't the flute parts supposed to have been recorded inside a pyramid?
    Yeah the review above misses some of the most important stuff in my opinion.
    The sheik at the local village near the great pyramid closed the pyramid so Nik could record his flute parts along with vocal and banging sounds all done by Nik and the sheik. Nik had previously gone into that pyramid with his flute, playing in various areas and noticed the sound affects were amazing so he phoned a buddy who brought in some recording equipment.
    A pretty cool album, quite unique i'd say. I like when Nik describes sitting way up in the pyramid at night looking down on the street lights below while playing his flute when he first got there.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

^ if you believe the story...

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    It took me a long time find this one on vinyl. Very mellow album...
    I mus thave gotten lucky. I didn't even know the record existed when I found it at Wax Stax back in 1993. I don't think I paid very much for it, either, just a few bucks. When I got home, this little booklet fell out of the album cover as I was getting the record out to listen to it. It turned out to be the thing with various bits of artwork, the musician credits for each track, I think there might hvae been song lyrics in there too.

The best Nik Turner album in my opinion.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

The Inner City Unit stuff - albeit different - is pretty darn good.