Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TODD RUNDGREN Global Tour, Anyone saw this. Share your thoughts, reviews, I am going

TODD RUNDGREN Global Tour, Anyone saw this. Share your thoughts, reviews, I am going

I am going to see him next weekend. Just wondering what to expect?? I know that this is a loaded question because one never knows what to expect when seeing Todd. He is always re-inventing his art but with that being said you just don't know. Please share your experience and what I may be able to expect.
    Thanks in advance,

Dave

It's a techno based show with canned backing tracks that Todd sings to along with a couple chick backup singers. He does some sort of forced techno versions of his hits towards the end where he basically works the vocal melody over the repetitive techno beats. Not the most satisfying TR experience but if you have never seen him GO regardless, he is a wonder to see live. He will play some guitar too.

Thanks Sean, I have seen him several time in the past including the UTOPIA reunion tour a few years ago, which was probably one of the best show I have ever seen, and that is saying a lot!! But knowing Todd this could be 'Something,Anything' so to speak. So this is mostly a modern techno show with him using his latest and best gadgets I assume. Ya I am going either way, but I had a feeling it would be like this. I am sure it is good but not great, but not a bad way to spend $25.00 and a Saturday night here in Southwest Florida! . Thanks again Sean. Has anyone else seen this??

I'd probably pay 25.00 to see TR fart the phone book, so that's a steal you have there!

I've never seen Todd but am a new big fan so I'm going to see him in Philly Wednesday night.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Saw him last night in Tarrytown. Not for everyone I guess (LOTS of empty seats) but I loved it. I'd only seen more conventional Todd shows so I was glad to see one of the more inventive shows. Those back up singers/dancers were great, and worked well with Todd.

^^^^^ Thanks for the encouraging words., I trust your opinion
    Ya he is playing at a tiny almost gym like place. The difference between the $25 seats and the $60 seats is maybe 4 rows of folding chairs; saw Carl Palmer there last month, it was great. So I look forward to it. It is a TODD show for crying out loud.....

Saw the show a few weeks ago in Annapolis, MD. Not a techno fan and I don't have "Global", but I thoroughly enjoyed the show. Especially enjoyed the encore, where Todd shreds through some of his classics, they were almost unrecognizable, but I really had fun!

Yeah, the techno-fication was the only thing that made the medleys interesting to me, as Todd's hits are almost all among my least favorite of his songs. This set list was pretty good. One song I was surprised he didn't technofy because it screams for it, is "Bang On The Drum All Day."

One of the worst concerts I have ever seen. Just god awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    One of the worst concerts I have ever seen. Just god awful.
    Don't like electronic music? Or were you expecting something different?

Is he still touring with Dam-Funk??
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

I thoroughly enjoyed the show I saw and will be attending another this week. If you are accepting of Todd's experimentation, it's a very enjoyable evening. The light show and singers/dancers are great, and Todd is in fine voice. As Todd often says, if you don't like what he's doing now, wait a year and he'll be doing something totally different. I wasn't expecting a traditional show with a band, so I knew what I was getting into. There were some people there who didn't know any of his stuff past 1974 that were disappointed and very vocal about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    Is he still touring with Dam-Funk??
    it's a new DJ can't think of his name at the moment.

I have actually seen the show twice my first in napa was seated at a bunch of tables and I enjoyed it but didn't like hte atmosphere my second was in a tiny little theater in Grass valley standing near the front and I feel like that is they way to experience this.

and yes even if you aren't liking it much stick through for the encore cause it gets pretty rocking there.

Only saw the live stream of this when Yahoo broadcast it; visually stunning of course. Different, but all Todd shows are.

"Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Saw the Global show 2 weeks ago in Oshkosh Wi. and in April in Milwaukee. It's Todd doing his own thing and that's fine with me. I'm really worn out from hearing the "hits" for 35+ years. I know there were lots of people in the audience who looked like deer in the headlights about halfway though thinking "what the hell is this noise" but i loved it. The Global Girls are lots of fun to watch and both pretty hot, his voice is still strong and how does an old guy move like that? BTW I seriously lost count of how may times i have seen Todd at around 60 shows. When he comes to town we just go.

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    Don't like electronic music? Or were you expecting something different?
    Have no problem with electronic music.

The entire concert was a total cheese fest.

To each is own.

To those that have seen TR on this current leg of the tour, is there an opening band and approximately what time does Todd hit the stage?

no opener though the DJ does one song to set the mood.

I thought it was a great and very acceptable way for Todd to interpret and reinterpret some of his catalog these days and obviously worked with the style of Global. Better this than yet another incarnation of his live band.

As much as I love Todd, he is an odd one to figure out, one of my worst concert experiences was the "With A Twist" tour, where he did lounge/cocktail versions of his songs. He spent more time on his stupid web cam than the audience in front of him. Absolutely horrible, I walked out, and I can honestly say I have only walked out of one other concert, and it was one I didnt want to be at in the first place. He came around a few years ago, played the Egg in Albany, and it was a great show, but very poor attendance. Also saw him back in the late 80's / early 90's for the "Second Wind" tour and it was amazing. Can't say this one holds any interest for me.

we love TODD, really dig the Global record! Seeing this show was quite the experience but many casuals fled for the turnstiles!!!

We covered the show at the bergenPAC for SoundPress.net >>> review is at >>>

http://www.soundpress.net/files-feat...odd-global.php
    Last edited by lwpmedia; 08-17-2015 at 08:17 PM. Reason: more added

Seeing him here in Richmond, tomorrow night. Not a huge fan of his last couple of albums and don't like the sound of this show - cheesefest sounds about right! -but loyalty demands - I keep telling myself, you just have to go along with the funny stuff and listen - Todd is actually quite good at doing music. And if he rips out a good guitar solo or two I'll be happy. I've been a fan since '73 - wish I could have caught him on the Utopia/AWATS/Todd-Healing tours instead! fml
    Everything is easy, yeah?!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    EDM? Pass. I think I'll just sit at home and enjoy my copy of the newly-released Utopia Live at the Fox (Atlanta) '73 disc. We did see Todd twice in recent years, prior to the Arena release (Calvin Theater, Northampton) and then at a great club date at the Iron Horse, also right here in 'Hamp. Both were great shows.

I did see a show during the Utopia reunion tour a few years ago which was flipping amazing. I am not expecting anything like that but it should be a fun and interesting evening anyway. Like I said for $25.00 I cannot think of a better way to spend a Saturday evening. The venue is only a half hour away so this is a no brainer for me. Will let you guys know what I thought after the show!....