Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TODD RUNDGREN Global Tour, Anyone saw this. Share your thoughts, reviews, I am going

Quote Originally Posted by HONDO View Post
    I did see a show during the Utopia reunion tour a few years ago which was flipping amazing. I am not expecting anything like that but it should be a fun and interesting evening anyway. Like I said for $25.00 I cannot think of a better way to spend a Saturday evening. The venue is only a half hour away so this is a no brainer for me. Will let you guys know what I thought after the show!....
    I saw Todd last night. He's a great performer and it was a fun show. The Global Girls did a good job and Todd was clearly into it. With that said, I hope he comes back around soon with a regular band and plays more guitar. I think it's a sin that such a great rock guitarist is doing what is primarily an EDM show, but I respect that he's one of those true artists follows his own muse.

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    I saw Todd last night. He's a great performer and it was a fun show. The Global Girls did a good job and Todd was clearly into it. With that said, I hope he comes back around soon with a regular band and plays more guitar. I think it's a sin that such a great rock guitarist is doing what is primarily an EDM show, but I respect that he's one of those true artists follows his own muse.
    Hear hear! And especially the bit about More Guitar.
    Everything is easy, yeah?!

Anymore reviews on this show? He is playing here on Sunday, but charging $35. Not sure if it is worth it yet.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Romerovm View Post
    Anymore reviews on this show? He is playing here on Sunday, but charging $35. Not sure if it is worth it yet.
    Dude, I paid $70 for my ticket for Tarrytown (granted, it was a "preferred" seat or whatever in the fifth row) but go - it's worth it.

^^^^ Yes take Dr Z's advice and do go. I went last Saturday night here in Florida and my tix were only $25.00 per person. It was a great show. Do not be put off by the 'Techno' label! Todd delivers and does it strong. It was way better than I expected. It was funny the DJ opened with some crap and I told my buddies that the good thing about this is that it can only get better, and boy was I right. It was a fun and very entertaining evening. DO NOT pass on this, you wont be disappointed. It is TODD for crying out loud!!!

Thanks for the feedback guys. What does he play from the classic stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Romerovm View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys. What does he play from the classic stuff?
    Utopia - Secret Society
    Just One Victory
    International Feel
    Medley: Can We Still Be Friends/I Saw The Light/Hello It's Me

I finally realized there were nice, deluxe 2-disk editions of both State and Global and realized I had to have them. State includes a live CD, and Global a live DVD. I haven't even hear State yet - not sure why I was skipping that one, but I'd actually skipped the one before that too for some reason, but am loving Global so much I realized I needed to get these (I had a download of Global). It's such a great album. While the "techno-y" sound is a bit different, the songwriting is actually just as good as ever, IMO. The song Blind is one of the best songs about Global Warming I've heard, and there are several. Rundgren's "Gaia's Crying" from Second Wind is one, before we knew about it really.

Anyway, I'd like to thank Vicki (Vicky? Why can't I remember?) and Esoteric Antenna for including bonus concerts that have good, varied setlists with plenty of what I consider latter-day Todd, as opposed to the hit-heavy shows he did last year. I really don't care for his hits, they're his least interesting songs, IMO. The one song on Global I don't care for is Soothe You, which is more like Can We Still Be Friends than anything else. I would have left it off.

Anyway, overall Todd is still God. I'm hoping for a DVD or BR from his Global shows, because the show I saw was a hell of a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I finally realized there were nice, deluxe 2-disk editions of both State and Global and realized I had to have them. State includes a live CD, and Global a live DVD. I haven't even hear State yet - not sure why I was skipping that one, but I'd actually skipped the one before that too for some reason, but am loving Global so much I realized I needed to get these (I had a download of Global). It's such a great album. While the "techno-y" sound is a bit different, the songwriting is actually just as good as ever, IMO. The song Blind is one of the best songs about Global Warming I've heard, and there are several. Rundgren's "Gaia's Crying" from Second Wind is one, before we knew about it really.

Anyway, I'd like to thank Vicki (Vicky? Why can't I remember?) and Esoteric Antenna for including bonus concerts that have good, varied setlists with plenty of what I consider latter-day Todd, as opposed to the hit-heavy shows he did last year. I really don't care for his hits, they're his least interesting songs, IMO. The one song on Global I don't care for is Soothe You, which is more like Can We Still Be Friends than anything else. I would have left it off.
    Yeah, I enjoyed Global quite a bit. More so than State, which did wind up growing on me. Neither one quite reaches the heights of Liars, which for me is his masterpiece. But even strange ones like Arena or Re-Production have some gems on them.

Also, I rather love Soothe. It's a beautiful, simple little tune.

Glad you're enjoying the album!
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    Utopia - Secret Society
    Just One Victory
    International Feel
    Medley: Can We Still Be Friends/I Saw The Light/Hello It's Me
    one world was also played if we are saying oldies is pre 90s, though I guess it is too late to help anyone make a decision...

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Yeah, I enjoyed Global quite a bit. More so than State, which did wind up growing on me. Neither one quite reaches the heights of Liars, which for me is his masterpiece. But even strange ones like Arena or Re-Production have some gems on them.

Also, I rather love Soothe. It's a beautiful, simple little tune.

Glad you're enjoying the album!
    "Liars" is an amazing album, isn't it?

I bought it about 5 months ago and still am mining its riches.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post

Look for the Liars Live DVD from 2004 in Albany. Excellent show, 2:40 running time. Saw this show in Milwaukee, fantastic.

Believe it or not I've never heard Liars, I've also barely heard One Long Year - just a few songs. I used to be a big Rundgren fan, then I felt a bit alienated when he seemed to totally stop communicating with his fan base, and started only releasing stuff in Japan - I guess that was short lived. But there used to be a great, monthly fan-run newsletter that he fed info to, that folded, and his website was stagnant. I just lost touch because he lost touch. I still can't tell if he has a website. Maybe he has an active FB page? That was my take anyway. But I'm glad he's so active again.

He still writes great songs.

This is a fave from Liars-

This is another

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    This is a fave from Liars-

Possibly my favorite song from Liars, and easily a Top Ten Rundgren song for me. Simply lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post

Definitely! It came along at a very special time, and to this day those opening bars of Truth still evoke great memories.

For me, it is his most consistent -- I can listen to it from beginning to end, and that's uncommon for me. Even his best records have one or two tracks that don't do much for me, but Liars is completely solid IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Believe it or not I've never heard Liars, I've also barely heard One Long Year - just a few songs. I used to be a big Rundgren fan, then I felt a bit alienated when he seemed to totally stop communicating with his fan base, and started only releasing stuff in Japan - I guess that was short lived. But there used to be a great, monthly fan-run newsletter that he fed info to, that folded, and his website was stagnant. I just lost touch because he lost touch. I still can't tell if he has a website. Maybe he has an active FB page? That was my take anyway. But I'm glad he's so active again.

He still writes great songs.
    If you like Global (or State, for that matter), you owe it to yourself to check out Liars at the earliest opportunity.

Liars is great. If you like Global or State then Liars is a must.

Totally agree that Liars is a must have Todd release. I enjoy it totally.

I saw TR last year playing with the recent version of Ringo's All-Starr Band...............I'm sad to tell you he was the weakest player on the stage.
    However I have seen him in the past perform very well.
    One night in particular when I saw him and his band perform at an outdoor festival and they did a knockout performance of BLACK MARIA................wow.

For something that was so lauded at the time, Liars seems to have fallen through the cracks since. Unlike all his other stuff (including a fair amount of compilation dross), it's never been on Spotify.