Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The GREATEST Drum and Synthesizer albums

The GREATEST Drum and Synthesizer albums

I mean albums where the Drums and Synthesizers (not just Piano or Organ) are the main attraction. No vocals, perhaps some Bass Guitar and/or some Guitar for flavor but not as a focal point.

stuff like
    Cybotron (yes, I know there was some Sax, but it wasn't a focal point)
    SFF
    Space Art

I know Niacin is great, but I tire of the 'just Organ' sound. I want some deep Synthesizer sounds, but also some excellent acoustic Drums. No programmed Drums, even though Fonya does a pretty great job with them.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Wolfgang Bock: Cycles
    Ocean: Melody
    Tangerine Dream: Force Majeure
    Wavemaker: Where Are We Captain?
    Zodiaks: Music in the Universe
    Zombi: Surface to Air

also the Jonathan album, trio of keys/keys/drums:

Maybe also Lem: Machines, although that one’s pretty cheesy.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Zombi are great.

Then there's Francois Breant - both of his albums are cool. And Bernard Szajner's stuff, including what he did with Zed. Another French obscurity is Didier Paquette's Le Souffle Noir from 1982; a very dark and peculiar take on motifs from 'Lord of the Rings' of all things.

Didn't Tonto's Expanding Head Band and Mother Mallard both use drums at some point?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Pythagoras, a Dutch synthesizer and drum duo?

The cover with the bird was done by a schoolmate of mine.

Does Bruford/Moraz: Flags count?
    Klaus Schulze had drums on some of his albums.

Probably outside the scope of the OP's parameters but synthesizer player(and pianist) Richard Teitelbaum(MEV/duets with Anthony Braxton) recorded an album with jazz drummer supreme Andrew Cyrille,titled Double Clutch,just Moog and drums/percussion.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

"I want some deep Synthesizer sounds, but also some excellent acoustic Drums."

COMPUTERCHEMIST Signatures I & II (w. Zsolt Galàntai on drums) will perfectly suit your request. Both are excellent.

And there are MANY Old School / Electronic / Berlin School synth based albums from the 70ies including real acoustic drums. Too much to remember all of them but you should check a.o: ASHRA (Correlations & Belle Alliance), TANGERINE DREAM (Cyclone, Force Majeure), HELDON (Interface, Agneta, Un rève...)
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 08-14-2015 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Tangerine Dream: Force Majeure
    One of the best albums ever.

Zombi: Surface to Air
    I love everything these guys do, as Zombi, Moore, Majeure (Paterra's solo moniker), etc.

Jonathan album, trio of keys/keys/drums
    Just listened to the whole album. Great!

Ocean:
    I've always avoided this because I'd see it described as being a predominantly piano based album. Maybe time to reconsider.

Speaking of Zombi, they have a new album due in the Fall:

https://zombi.bandcamp.com/track/pillars-of-the-dawn

that Jonathan album is cool... rare as hen's teeth I imagine...

I have Stardrive, Wavemaker, TD and a few others mentioned.
    Havent listened to them in forever but isnt the Bruf Moraz thing just Piano?
    I have Ash Ra and Heldon too but they are more Guitar oriented IIRC

hafta get me some Computer Chemist, Pythagoras and Zombi as well as the Jonathan

THANX!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Yeah, that Jonathan is neat. I listened to a couple tracks from Lem's Machines. One was pretty cool and the other one I stopped as soon as the vox started.

LP, you're not already into Zombi?! Check this out:

One powerful groove. Michael Mann should get these guys to be the "new TD" for his film scores.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I've always avoided this because I'd see it described as being a predominantly piano based album. Maybe time to reconsider.
    Melody is an excellent album. Probably comparable to the Blue Motion album, but with more synths and less organ. I have still not heard the second album, which I understand uses a drum machine instead of a live drummer. Maybe there’s a reason I’ve never heard it...

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    that Jonathan album is cool... rare as hen's teeth I imagine...
    It’s on an indie label named Aar, so...yes, quite rare. I understand there is a connection with Eulenspygel.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I listened to a couple tracks from Lem's Machines. One was pretty cool and the other one I stopped as soon as the vox started.
    Yeah, the lyrics are all kinds of cheesy on that one (all about guys getting laid by alien chicks, robots and cyborgs gettin’ it on, etc.). I saw it at one of my local record stores sitting there for ages and ages, and finally my curiosity got the better of me (it was only $4, and I couldn’t say no to all that custom Serge and Polyfusion modular gear). The guy behind Lem is an L.A. resident by the name of Alex Cima, who’s done a few electronic albums under various names (Lem was a one-off). “Wah Wah” Watson plays guitar on a couple of tracks on Machines.

LP, you're not already into Zombi?! Check this out:
    I was a bit disappointed by Escape Velocity, but maybe I need more time with it. Surface to Air is probably the one to start with. I like Spirit Animal lots, too, but they kind of go bonkers with the Mellotron on that one.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

This came to mind...

I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

The guy behind Lem is an L.A. resident by the name of Alex Cima, who’s done a few electronic albums under various names (Lem was a one-off). “Wah Wah” Watson plays guitar on a couple of tracks on Machines.
    That's Cima? Interesting. A name that used to float around Keyboard Magazine quite a bit back in the day.

I was a bit disappointed by Escape Velocity, but maybe I need more time with it. Surface to Air is probably the one to start with. I like Spirit Animal lots, too, but they kind of go bonkers with the Mellotron on that one.
    Surface To Air is a real winner. I love Escape Velocity because of its soundtracky feel owing to their return to a stripped-down sound of analog synths — no 'Tron — and drums, and little else, though you can always count on Moore to pick up his bass. EV is like a sequel to Cosmos. "It's all good shit!"

IL BARICENTRO
    Refugee
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Forgot about this guy (and I actually own the OOP 2-fer CD). Brian's on drums, Francis Monkman's on keys.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    IL BARICENTRO
    Refugee
    IB is a full band
    and Refugee has vocals

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Not a full-time instrumentals band, but NewOrder could pull off a good instrumental tune from time to time.

IB is a full band
    and Refugee has vocals
    I think IB has keys bass and drums. I'm sure some of the bands mentioned do bass through the keys. Doesn't Refugee just have one vocal song.

I dunno Ed, perhaps I'm mistaken, but I think I have 2 Il Baricentro albums and I thought they had Guitar and possibly Sax too???

Shpongle, give em a try.
    Last edited by MJBrady; 08-14-2015 at 10:52 PM.

I dunno Ed, perhaps I'm mistaken, but I think I have 2 Il Baricentro albums and I thought they had Guitar and possibly Sax too???
    No guitar or sax as far as I can remember.

I'm a big fan of the self-titled album by Cosmic Debris. As far as I know it was self-released and never on CD; vinyl only. There's some guitar on it but synth and drums dominate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o574bPimFeM