Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking Plague Kickstarter

Thinking Plague Kickstarter

Ah... cool. Didn't go to that forum. Thanks oilersfan! Either way --- more exposure!

I'm comin' with some moneys.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Mike -

I hope you're monitoring this thread. On Friday, I'm planning on coming to see you guys, and just wanted to give you a heads-up. While I did try to get in touch with Elaine, my contact information on her is somewhat out-of-date, and I suspect my message didn't reach her. And although I do have your e-mail, I don't have it on this laptop. So, anyway, hope you get this, although since I'm on the move it may take me a couple of days to respond.

- JH

Thanks for the info. I pushed them over the $2000 mark and hope others will help support
    this great band. Good luck TP

Cheeseburger Tuesday Everyone!

Have been receiving the updates from Mike Johnson and it seems as if the ongoing campaign response has pleased him! Good...

For those on the economic fence - and also those unfamiliar (but curious) about Thinking Plague, I've recently come to the conclusion that for many of the artists we might enjoy listening to...these campaigns are here to stay and a worthwhile place to give support.

Please do so!

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

I tossed a hundred in the pot.

Looking forward to this

Even though my cash situation sucks right now, for the Plague I absolutely cannot not pledge! Now up to $3429.

All Aboard!
    (supporter #67)

I saw them the other night, and it was probably the best performance I've caught from Thinking Plague.

The addition of Bill Pohl turns out to be absolutely crucial: While I mean no knock on Kimara and the many other fine keyboardists who've passed through the Plague, the sheer harmonic density of Mike's material seems best served by an additional guitarist. His music is so thick with opposing and sometimes clashing notes, that a keyboard's thickness of sound - even very good sounds like Kimara's - can fill up too much space, adding yet another element of confusion to music that can already be fairly "difficult". But Bill's clean, jazzy tone, his comprehensive knowledge of the fretboard, and his instrument's inability to play more than six notes at once all bring a clarity to the proceedings. Now, even heavily piled-up chordal textures ring out clear and true, counterpoint in the most extended of extended tonalities can be heard in all its interwoven glory, and neither Elaine's voice nor Mark's sax and clarinet had to struggle for a place in the mix. Even with a house soundman new to the band, everything came out right where it should be.

This is in some ways a new band, and deserves support.

I'm in for the CD option. Supporter 72. $4249 with 20 days left.

Gonna keep bumping although most here already know anyway - but I've managed to grab a few new fans over the last week - it would be a tremendous loss if this isnt funded. If I find more money in my back yard I'll contribute more!

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    I saw them the other night, and it was probably the best performance I've caught from Thinking Plague.
    I am looking forward to seeing the current line-up somehow, sometime (are the festival gods listening?)
    Last edited by Steve F.; 08-24-2015 at 11:30 AM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I am looking forward to seeing the current line-up somehow, sometime (are the festival gods listening?)
    I'm with you Steve, would love to see these guys again. This line-up looks killer.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'm with you Steve, would love to see these guys again. This line-up looks killer.

Well, all you guys need is $500 apiece and a couple of tickets to somewhere within a 5 hour drive of Denver to make that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Yes. And?
    "And?"

Well, I guess you'd only need $333.33 if you wanna road trip with me!

I wish I got my work bonus sooner... I'd just do it and drive up there in person. ARGGG.

It's over 60% funded now, which - according to kickstarter - means that there is a 98% chance of success.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    I saw them the other night, and it was probably the best performance I've caught from Thinking Plague. [...] The addition of Bill Pohl turns out to be absolutely crucial: fretboard, and his instrument's inability to play more than six notes at once all bring a clarity to the proceedings. [...] This is in some ways a new band, and deserves support.
    Wow, this sounds exciting as heck! I actually didn't realise that adding Bill P. meant abstaining from keys altogether, but now that I hear the news I'm getting quite intrigued by it. I'm awaiting my paycheck to contribute.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Wow, this sounds exciting as heck! I actually didn't realise that adding Bill P. meant abstaining from keys altogether, but now that I hear the news I'm getting quite intrigued by it. I'm awaiting my paycheck to contribute.
    FYI - your card isn't charged until the drop-dead date (16 days from now). Right now, it's just a pledge - fully revocable by you at no penalty, at any time before the end date.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Wow, this sounds exciting as heck! I actually didn't realise that adding Bill P. meant abstaining from keys altogether....
    Not entirely. Bill plays simple chordal parts on a keyboard during portions of a few songs - during the middle section of "Rapture of the Deep" and on one or two other tunes. Elaine plays accordion on one or two tunes as well. And Mike or Bill could switch to bass if they really needed highly technical keyboard chops, because Dave Willey could handle almost any keyboard part Mike could write.

Getting close!

Done.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Excellent, congrats to the band, terrific news, looks like someone threw in another $500, wonder who is having the house concert?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.