Thread: The Mute Gods (Beggs, Minnemann, King)

The Mute Gods (Beggs, Minnemann, King)

Inside Out Music is pleased to announce the signing of The Mute Gods, a brand new band from the mind of renowned bassist, chapman stick player & vocalist Nick Beggs. Joining him will be his colleague in Steven Wilson’s band, drummer Marco Minnemann, and long-time Steve Hackett collaborator & keyboardist Roger King.

Nick had this to say:

"I wanted to put a band together as an outlet for the material I’ve written during the past two years, whilst touring with Steven Wilson and Steve Hackett. I'm excited to be working with Inside Out on this very dynamic project."

Album due out in January

Could be mighty tasty!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

That sounds pretty damn cool.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

80's retro pop?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

All Kajagoogoo songs, re imagined

Roger King's heavy production and "too many keys instead of real instruments" approach on Hackett's last album were not to my taste (though I'm guessing nothing happened without Hackett's approval), but I'm hopeful for this. I mean, Beggs/Minnemann? Yeah, I'm in.
    Last edited by polmico; 08-12-2015 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Clarify my position on King.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

This sounds very exciting--especially since I'm not a Yes fan any more and looking for some great music from great talents.
    Love all 3 of these guys.

Slow down Marco.....geeez. January? Ok, that's still far enough away.

The new one is on its way!

Tardigrades Will Inherit The Earth

http://themutegods.com/tmg/tardigrad...february-2017/

Excellent news
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

For the people who are interested, my review of their latest album Tardigrades Will Inherit The Earth is now available: https://permanentmusicdamage.com/201...he-earth-2017/

I Just bought the CD at the Steve Hackett show tonight. Half way through, it will need more time. The debut was just so effing mind blowing, it'll be hard to top. In interviews he said its like a pissed off rattlesnake or something to that effect, and I'd have to agree. Its harder than the debut, and that is NOT a bad thing in my book!
    He really is a fantastic writer, he never ceases to impress me with his writing ability. He has it all.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    I Just bought the CD at the Steve Hackett show tonight. Half way through, it will need more time. The debut was just so effing mind blowing, it'll be hard to top. In interviews he said its like a pissed off rattlesnake or something to that effect, and I'd have to agree. Its harder than the debut, and that is NOT a bad thing in my book!
    He really is a fantastic writer, he never ceases to impress me with his writing ability. He has it all.
    Which one is "he?"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Which one is "he?"
    Nick Beggs

I've listened to it five times through and it kills!! A very worthy follow-up to a stellar debut for sure.

I wish I liked this, I tried....3 great musicians, but weak music to my ears I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I wish I liked this, I tried....3 great musicians, but weak music to my ears I'm afraid.
    Im honestly interested in what your take is on this being weak? I find the complete opposite.
    And I ask this knowing how things can rapidly spiral out of control, or have comments taken to task by someone. Its happened to me personally by a musician of a band I was asked to elaborate on a comment I had posted. So if you'd like to have a private conversation about this I'm open to a private one?

I like parts of the first cd so I wasn't expecting much from the second but pleasantly surprised. The new Mute Gods is darker than the first one but heavier and loaded with lots of catchy melodies. A total improvement over the debut!

AOL's Progressive Rock station plays THE MUTE GODS and FEED THE TROLL regularly/ sort on rotation. That's how i came across them. AOL has introduced me to a lot of new prog bands - mostly on the modern side of prog. I was really impressed with both the vox and vox melodies. Had these songs as earworms for days. Was totally surprised it was Nick and Roger behind it. Haven't listened to the new one yet, but will in the next few days. Mark me impressed.

Oh man, I was listening to 'Do Nothing Till You Hear From Me' this morning....SO good!!

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Morow is playing the hell out of The Singing Fish Of Batticaloa and I'm the one that is hooked by this monster earworm. Already lodged in my mind even when the music is off, the melody making is so impressive.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Love both Mute Gods albums, and this shuffled up on my iPod yesterday - a little stick solo from the last Kajagoogoo album - when Beggs was still fronting, prior to them reuniting with Limahl.

If you like the Mute Gods and can handle a little pop in your rock, Gone to the Moon is a fun album.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Morow is playing the hell out of The Singing Fish Of Batticaloa and I'm the one that is hooked by this monster earworm. Already lodged in my mind even when the music is off, the melody making is so impressive.
    Ok, listening to this now. It sounds very good. I somehow hadn't realized that Roger King was a member of The Mute Gods, but I can definitely hear those synth sounds that I now associate with Hackett.

Thanks, I had checked this album out before, but I'm now inclined to give it (and their others) more time.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Ok, listening to this now. It sounds very good. I somehow hadn't realized that Roger King was a member of The Mute Gods, but I can definitely hear those synth sounds that I now associate with Hackett.

Thanks, I had checked this album out before, but I'm now inclined to give it (and their others) more time.
    The Singing Fish is my intro to this cd, so the rest of it is all new to me. I knew about Beggs after seeing him with Wilson, and of course I know Marco. King is new to me, although I like Hackett not that into him to know his band.

I heard Beggs refer to this album as a "hissing rattlesnake". Parts of it maybe, but the Singing Fish is anything but rattlesnake hiss. Bonus information gained is The Singing Fish of Batticaloa actually do exist...

Morow also featuring Early Warning. Really unique sounding bass solo/lead on Early Warning OMG , the melody making is awesome again there. Another song without any evident rattlesnake hiss.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson