Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Artists that have released the same song with both group and solo?

Shapes of Things-- Yardbirds & Jeff Beck Group

Wolfgang Niedecken, with the WDR Big Band Köln on Niedecken Koeln
    Für 'ne Moment on Bap - Comics & Pin-ups
    Met Wolke schwaade on Bap - Pik Sibbe
    Chippendale Desch on Bap - Af un zo
    Amerika on Bap - Amerika
    Nix wie bessher on Bap - Amerika
    Stadt em Niemandstand on Bap - Da Capo
    Unger Krahnebäume on Bap - Sonx
    Hück ess sing Band en der Stadt on Bap - Comics & Pin-ups
    Queen von dä Ihrenströös on Bap - Pik Sibbe

Robert Lamm "Skinny Boy" also released by Chicago. In fact, the Chicago version is the same recording, but a different mix with Chicago's horns overdubbed.

Jim Pembroke: "Grass for Blades", "No New Games" and "Hard Top Lincoln" were recorded both solo and for Wigwam's studio albums.

Lou Reed's first solo album was almost all new arrangements of previously recorded Velvet Underground songs.

Greetings,

How about "Labyrinth" by Kit Watkins? It appeared as a title track of his solo album as well on Happy the Man's 3rd: Better Late​ ... release. One my favorite tunes of all time, in fact!

Cheers,

Alan

Ian Gillan (and his) Band reworked Purple's 'Child in Time' for their first album.

Dog Me Bitch by Tony McPhee on The Two Sides of Tony TS McPhee, which was performed live by The Groundhogs, around the time of Solid, and released as a BBC In Concert by Windsong. The group version is best imo.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Quote Originally Posted by AdventAlan View Post
    How about "Labyrinth" by Kit Watkins? It appeared as a title track of his solo album as well on Happy the Man's 3rd: Better Late​ ... release. One my favorite tunes of all time, in fact!
    Agreed - wonderful piece. As is, of course, "While Crome Yellow Shine", which is also on both, albeit with some parts missing in the solo KW version.

Since you mention "Better Late...", it also includes "Eye Of The Storm" which Kit re-did with Camel on their "I Can See Your House From Here" album.

Actually Watkins used these pieces on non-HTM albums because "Better Late..." only came out in 1983, four years after it had been recorded. When he re-did them solo or with Camel, they were previously unreleased material.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Midnight Rider by both Allman Brothers Band and Gregg Allman
    Gregg's done many of his songs solo that were recorded by the ABB.

Rick Derringer - "R&RHK" with Winter and solo
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Lemmy recorded Motorhead with Hawkwind and then Motorhead. The same is true for Lost Johnny.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Hey Now Princess, Weird of Hermiston , and The Clearout were recorded by Cream and were done later by Jack Bruce on his solo albums, and the Cream versions were never released until the big box came out.

'Desiree' from The Left Banke album Too. Michael Brown then helped form Montage and Desiree was also on that album as well, almost identical.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    "Sentimental Lady", by Fleetwood Mac and later on by Bob Welch solo.
    He redid “Future Games” on one of his solo albums as well.

How about "Labyrinth" by Kit Watkins? It appeared as a title track of his solo album as well on Happy the Man's 3rd: Better Late​ ... release.
    Labyrinth also features “Mt. St. Helens,” which is Kit’s solo rendition of [I think] “Docks” off of Camel’s Nude album.

I agree that “Labyrinth” is one of Kit’s finest compositions. I adore both versions, though neither is especially distinct from one another.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

On the latest Ton Scherpenzeel solo album 'The lion's dream', there are some old Kayak songs
    Woe and alas
    Relics from a distant age
    Dead bird flies forever

On the Stips album Egotrip, there are old songs from:
    Supersister:
    She was naked
    A girl named you
    Memories are new 1
    Radio
    Corporating combo boys

Sweet d'Buster:
    No more cricket
    Smash the mirror

Nits:
    Think it over
    Memories are new 3
    Springtime coming soon

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Huw Lloyd Langton-"Candle Burning" and "Waiting for Tomorrow", both with Hawkwind and Lloyd Langton Group
    Dave Brock-several, but "Bosnia" as a solo and "Death of War" with Hawkwind; "Some People Never Die" with Hawkwind and as a solo as "Assassination"...
    Last edited by Rune Blackwings; 08-13-2015 at 09:59 AM. Reason: It hasn't been the same since the Roachy Mart stopped selling pizza sandwiches
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Suspended
    Hang On Sloopy - released by The McCoys, and years later by Rick Derringer as a solo artist.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Not sure if "Raven Night" would qualify, even though it was released under Hagalaz' Runedance and then as a solo by Nebelhexe, since Hagalaz' Runedance was never really a band per se as it was Nebelhexe with a changing collection of musicians
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Greetings,

Good call; great tune!

Good topic and it seems like I should know a few but I'm drawing blanks right now...
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Turn To Stone - Barnstorm and then Joe Walsh
    Behind The Lines - Phil with and without his backup band

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Speaking of Kit and Camel..."Docks" from "Nude" also shows up on Kit's Labyrinth as "Mt. St. Helens" albeit in somewhat different form, yes? Both were released in '80...I think Kit's version came first, correct?

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Let Me Love You Tonight - Pure Prairie League/ Vince Gill solo

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Speaking of Kit and Camel..."Docks" from "Nude" also shows up on Kit's Labyrinth as "Mt. St. Helens" albeit in somewhat different form, yes? Both were released in '80...I think Kit's version came first, correct?
    It first appears on Post #40.

Speaking of Camel: it doesn’t really count, as it wasn’t recorded (to my knowledge), but the bridge section to “Summer Lightning” that Richard Sinclair wrote later resurfaced in scat-sung form in an untitled improvisational piece he played live.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...