Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Atomic Rooster

The Enemy God

Atomic Rooster

A flying visit to Wood Green , North London today saw me cycling past a historic venue image.jpgvenue which hosted Atomic Roosters debut gig , August 22 , 1969. I believe it also hosted Led Zeps first London gig, though probably as the. New Yardbirds.

It's been a Met Police sub station subsequently and by the looks of things is being developed into flats.

Beautiful building. Love the name - Fishmongers Arms.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I've only kept the first three Rooster albums, but still hold them in some esteem. Solid and edgy vintage hard rock with personality and class. The stoner generation should take more notice of them.

And yupz; great looking building too!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

While Death and In Hearing of are my favs, I still like the fourth album, something sinister about Chris Farlowe's singing I like.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Debut and Hearing are fine albums

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Death Walks, In The Hearing my favorites, great band.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

My favourites are the first album self-titled album (probably because it was the first one I acquired) and Headline News. I've always found Headline News to have a really nice 'feel' to it, and the 'guest' guitarists seem to work well.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Death Walks, In The Hearing my favorites, great band.
    Love the RoOoster debut, In Hearing Of (my fave) and Made In England (despite much criticism, I find it excellent).

I tend to fail understanding the hoopla about death walks ... and N&G is definitely not a VG album... Don't care for what came after 73.
    Last edited by Trane; 08-12-2015 at 09:58 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Their first 5 are all listenable. In Hearing my favorite, always has been and remains. Two Farlow's albums I found inconsistent, but some stuff there is impressive. (Made in England though is thrice better than Nice n' Greasy) There are some good stuff on 6th album, called simply Atomic Rooster.

I think Farlowe was a complete badass singer with Colosseum, and his input on their classic Live is one of the most powerful rock vocalist deliveries I ever heard - BUT; I honestly couldn't really figure him as fitting in AR.

As for Hugues and not understanding 'hoopla about Death'; I think this tends to be regarded as their definitive statement because it sums up all of their parts, including the underlaying touch of soul in "Nobody Else" (gorgeous song!) and "Tomorrow Night". Playing is great, they stretch out with ease and dedication; to me, this is an album Deep Purple and the likes could never have hoped to make. I love the atmosphere of sheer vitality and enthusiasm and adventure throughout the whole thing. And that album cover!

If there ever was a tragic fate in vintage progressive rock, btw - Vincent Crane was probably it. They should have made a film about the guy.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I would agree that 'Death Walks...' is the peak, but the debut and 'In Hearing Of' aren't too far behind. They had a couple of sizeable hits in the UK at the time with 'Tomorrow Night' and the non-album 'Devil's Answer'.

I've never heard the Chris Farlowe ones, beyond a few songs. I rate Farlowe though- love his Immediate stuff in the 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I think Farlowe was a complete badass singer with Colosseum, and his input on their classic Live is one of the most powerful rock vocalist deliveries I ever heard - BUT; I honestly couldn't really figure him as fitting in AR.
    Actually, I thought Farlowe was often very good, but also often "only good" in Colosseum (I much preferred Litherland's vocals for their music)

Farlowe's power is nowhere greater than in Made In England, IMHO

A1 Time Take My Life 5:59
    A2 Stand by Me 3:48
    B2 Breathless 4:50
    B4 People You Can't Trust 3:52
    B5 All in Satan's Name 4:44

are all excellent , withFarlowe not taking away a single ounce of AR's power away, but adding even lmore to the whole.

As for Hugues and not understanding 'hoopla about Death'; I think this tends to be regarded as their definitive statement because it sums up all of their parts, including the underlaying touch of soul in "Nobody Else" (gorgeous song!) and "Tomorrow Night". Playing is great, they stretch out with ease and dedication; to me, this is an album Deep Purple and the likes could never have hoped to make. I love the atmosphere of sheer vitality and enthusiasm and adventure throughout the whole thing. And that album cover.
    Well, I had the North am cover (with the Rooster)... and I still prefer it to the rest of the world cover.

don't worry, I get the raw power of DWBY, but I think IHO is a much better statement (if only a little less noisy and more crafted)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

First two LPs, for me. I can't abide the execrable Farlowe. Caught them in a club in '71.
    Last edited by mogrooves; 08-12-2015 at 11:51 AM.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

The debut seems a bit unfocussed to me, Death is and will remain in my collection, easily their definitive statement IMO.

In Hearing just sounds like they have been completely emasculated.

Like the poster above, I love Farlowe in Colosseum but found him a total spare part in Rooster....though the bands compositional abilities seem to have taken a bit of a tumble at this point too.

I like Farlowe solo, his Jagger / Richards tracks are great, I always hated him in Rooster, probably because I don't like he versions of songs he didn't originally sing, he butchers what I consider classics.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

If there ever was a tragic fate in vintage progressive rock, btw - Vincent Crane was probably it. They should have made a film about the guy.
    I dunno, Patto has a pretty sad tale.........

I like Farlowe solo, his Jagger / Richards tracks are great, I always hated him in Rooster, probably because I don't like he versions of songs he didn't originally sing, he butchers what I consider classics.
    unless you caught them live in 71 to 73, you wouldn't have had a chance to witness "CF butchering older AR songs", methinks.

I happen to think CF does a rather good job on the Belgian TV session (master of the vaults collection), or on the BBC live session (almost the same set list) on the older tracks. if CF might not be that much of an improvement on Pete French (IHO), he's a major one on DuCann (DWBY) and Grabham (RoOoster).

I clearly talking YouTube clips.
    Ian

I clearly talking YouTube clips.
    my bad

any links, please??

Ian

I'm not sure this is the Belgian TV Pop 2 session..; It could be, but I don't recognise it.

I don't mind CF's enlargement of these AR classics

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

I don't mind CF's enlargement of these AR classics
    Nor do I. I think they might be improvements, actually. Didn't Crane originally sing "Black Snake," anyhow?

And, man, did Crane get some great bass tones from his organ? Is it all left hand and organ pedals or did he use some sort of bass pedal, too?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

All I really know is that he committed suicide in the late '80s. I suppose it's human nature to want to know more. Any websites more info on his life?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Nor do I. I think they might be improvements, actually. Didn't Crane originally sing "Black Snake," anyhow?

And, man, did Crane get some great bass tones from his organ? Is it all left hand and organ pedals or did he use some sort of bass pedal, too?
    Yep Crane sang it.

I love Farlowe eating a sandwich during one of the numbers...!

I like Chris. voice not matter what he's singing, though I do prefer him as a soul shouter than as a prog vocalist.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.