Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The James Gang

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    Here are the tunes that were played (in order):

01 Intro / Funk # 49
    02 Ashton Park
    03 Stop (included on the album)
    04 You're Gonna Need Me (on the album)
    05 Take A Look Around (on the album) / Tend My Garden (on the album)
    06 White Man Black Man
    07 Thanks
    08 Garden Gate
    09 Again / Tuning
    10 Ashes, The Rain and I (on the album)
    11 Walk Away (on the album)
    12 Woman
    13 Lost Woman (on the album)
    14 Johnny B. Goode
    15 The Bomber
    Where did you get this info from? Is there a blog site with the full concert on it? Wow!

Banned
    What do people think of Bang? I've had it for a while, but haven't played it in a while. I also have Deep Purple's Come Taste The Band, which also featured Tommy Bolin. Btw, for those who thought that The Eagles were too soft have obviously never heard Last In The Fast Lane, Victim Of Love, Those Shoes, or Get Over It.

Thirds,with its Abbey Road type orchestrations, was closer to Barnstorm and Smoker than the rest. A must have in my book.

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    Here are the tunes that were played (in order):

01 Intro / Funk # 49
    02 Ashton Park
    03 Stop (included on the album)
    04 You're Gonna Need Me (on the album)
    05 Take A Look Around (on the album) / Tend My Garden (on the album)
    06 White Man Black Man
    07 Thanks
    08 Garden Gate
    09 Again / Tuning
    10 Ashes, The Rain and I (on the album)
    11 Walk Away (on the album)
    12 Woman
    13 Lost Woman (on the album)
    14 Johnny B. Goode
    15 The Bomber
    I have this. It's labeled NYC 5.15.71. 16 tracks (Take A Look Around and Tend My Garden are separated). True, it's a poor quality audience recording, but the performance is so fucking good that an untouched soundboard would blow your face right off! I pray to the rock and roll gods that there's still a complete master in existence.

I also have other ROIO's (including video) of more recent reunion shows as well as a top notch quality pre-FM of their 1976 lineup at the Cleveland Agora. Ironically, their final album featured returning original member & keyboardist Phil Giallombardo as well as singer/guitarist Bob Webb, who had earlier contributed to JW's Barnstorm album.

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Btw, for those who thought that The Eagles were too soft have obviously never heard Last In The Fast Lane, Victim Of Love, Those Shoes, or Get Over It.
    You mean that there are actually people who have not heard those songs?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    You mean that there are actually people who have not heard those songs?
    Obviously not, if there are people on these thread that said that The Eagles never rocked. See also On The Border, The Disco Strangler, and The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks.

as far as musicianship, i thought Dale Peters was a great bassist (he was darn right Squire like on From Another Time) and probably underrated for his time. Fox was no slouch on the drums either. he even used the jazz grip.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    Fox was no slouch on the drums either. he even used the jazz grip.
    Still does.

one of these bands that never struck a chord with me... I tried them a few times, though...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    What do people think of Bang? I've had it for a while, but haven't played it in a while. I also have Deep Purple's Come Taste The Band, which also featured Tommy Bolin. Btw, for those who thought that The Eagles were too soft have obviously never heard Last In The Fast Lane, Victim Of Love, Those Shoes, or Get Over It.
    I've heard 'em. I think these were all done once Joe had joined (but then again, so was Heartache Tonight... Urgh). Even in "rocking out" mode, the Eagles are too controlled and bland for my tastes; the Eagles rocking out and the James Gang rocking out are just two completely different things to my ears. Just a way different vibe. But I respect that millions love the Eagles and they certainly made Joe a millionaire, so what do I know.

I haven't heard all of Bang in years but I remember Standing in the Rain & Ride the Wind being great tunes.

Never really been into The James Gang, but I remember the first time I heard "Funk 49." I loved (and still do) that song. The other radio hit I really love is "Walk Away." The guitar solo at the end is such a scorcher. The only thing I have by the James Gang is this:

It's not bad at all.

that didn't really surprise me. the one thing i didn't like about Walsh was that he was more of a soft rock ballad guy than a rock guy.
    Yeah, that's what frustrates me about Joe Walsh. The guy has to be one of the best guitarists in rock. I'm sure he's on a few "best guitarist of ....." lists. A few years ago I found one of his solo albums:

I only liked "Life's Been Good." The rest was forgettable, and boring. Got rid of it.

Yeah, that's what frustrates me about Jimi Hendrix. The guy has to be one of the best guitarists in rock. I'm sure he's on a few "best guitarist of ....." lists. A few years ago I found one of his solo albums: The Cry of Love.

I only liked 'In from The Storm'. The rest like Driftin', Angel, Belly Button Window, forgotten the others, boring. Got rid of it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Galactic Bulldozer View Post
    Yeah, that's what frustrates me about Jimi Hendrix. The guy has to be one of the best guitarists in rock. I'm sure he's on a few "best guitarist of ....." lists. A few years ago I found one of his solo albums: The Cry of Love.

I only liked 'In from The Storm'. The rest like Driftin', Angel, Belly Button Window, forgotten the others, boring. Got rid of it.
    Huh? Are you making fun of the poster above? There are other Hendrix tunes that rock. Also, better albums like Are You Experienced?, Axis:Bold As Love, and Electric Ladyland.

I can't stand Life's Been Good. Pedestrian from start to finish.
    Absolutely love Driftin, Belly Button Window and Angel. Damn, it's Jimi!

I can't defend But Seriously Folks... Vic2012 likes Life's Been Good from that album and that's one more than I like. To answer JIF, I think Galactic Bulldozer was just making the point that judging Walsh as a whole by this one lame album (and ignoring The Bomber, Funk 48 & 49, the Carnegie live album, etc) is a bit like judging Jimi just based on Cry of Love.

> I can't stand Life's Been Good. Pedestrian from start to finish. <

Really? Okay, quick, count in that intro with the drumbeat. You missed the one?

Pedestrian in that it makes me want to walk while I'm listening to it? Okay....

Banned
    Just got done listening to Yer Album. Bought it used many years ago at an FYE Superstore. Saw both a new and used copy of the 2000 MCA remaster, so I bought the used copy. I love it!! It's got a nice atmosphere; rather trippy. Jim Fox seems to be channeling Keith Moon on the cover of The Yardbirds' Lost Woman. The James Gang at their most rocking.

I've got just the two albums that Tommy Bolin played on, which I think are fantastic. I've played a few different songs on Journey Of The Sorcerer's Apprentice, notably Alexis, Standing In The Rain, and Praylude/Red Skies.

I like Dale Peters bass playing, but always loved Tom Kriss playing even more. Yer Album, Rides Again
    and Live in Concert (which I saw) are my favorites, with Thirds close behind. Hoping for a James Gang
    tour this year.

they really rock on this live version of Walk Away..

Unevensong - Camel

I don't really listen to the studio albums, but I sure do love that Carnegie Hall live album!

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I don't really listen to the studio albums, but I sure do love that Carnegie Hall live album!
    Stop on the live album is also a scorcher but i couldn't find a YT for it.

Unevensong - Camel

as far as musicianship, i thought Dale Peters was a great bassist (he was darn right Squire like on From Another Time) and probably underrated for his time. Fox was no slouch on the drums either. he even used the jazz grip.
    That's actually the "marching grip" or "traditional grip". It comes from the snare hanging at an angle so that matched grip would have you hitting the rim with the left hand. So they changed the left hand grip to get over the rim.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

loved the james gang with walsh and i also am a huge tommy bolin fan. i could listen to anything with him on it. he was awesome with billy cobham's spectrum. i though both bang and miami were excellent. sucks that he died so young. joe walsh's new album has some good songs but jeff lynne sucks as a producer. it sounds like it was recorded in a box with a blanket over it. terrible sound!

Another of my faves in my early record collecting years. The first two and the live album are still essentials of my album listening! Yer' Album in particular is great, very adventurous for its time. Great stuff!