Thread: THE MERCURY TREE at ProgDay 2015!

THE MERCURY TREE at ProgDay 2015!

THE MERCURY TREE at ProgDay 2015!

“‘Countenance’ doesn't really sound like anything else being made today, and that alone makes it remarkable. It doesn't hurt that the songwriting, arrangements, and performances are top notch too. Really, albums like this demonstrate how special music still can be. I'm often very critical of how mundane, repetitious, uninspired, and just plain useless most popular music is, and so bands like The Mercury Tree feel like a true breath of fresh air.”
    - John Nicholson, PROGARCHIVES

“The fact is that there are not so many progressive rock bands on the current scene that actually understand the term progressive, and that offer music that is colourful and inventive. Portland based The Mercury Tree have been around for eight years and so far they produced three records. Their latest is titled “Countenance.” Long story short, this album is a masterpiece.”
    - PROGARCHY

THE MERCURY TREE is a progressive rock trio from Portland, Oregon that began life as a solo project of Ben Spees (guitar, keyboards, vocals, loops). The project morphed into a full band by 2006, and released it’s first album in 2011. Comparisons to King Crimson, Porcupine Tree, The Mars Volta and Tool often come up when trying to describe the music’s eclectic mix of math-rock, post-rock, jazz, and metal. The band’s third release, Countenance, has been applauded for its inventive and effortless blend of styles, resulting in an elegantly rich and original musical experience. In addition to established material, the band will also be performing new tunes from the upcoming album scheduled to be released in the fall, 2015.

THE MERCURY TREE (US) joins QUANTUM FANTAY (Belgium), MARBIN (Israel/US), PASCAL GUTMAN TRIO (France/Mexico), TRYO (Chile), JACK O’ THE CLOCK (US), ECCENTRIC ORBIT (US) and UT GRET (US) at ProgDay, the longest running progressive rock festival in the world. ProgDay 2015 will take place on Saturday, September 5th, and Sunday, September 6th, at Storybook Farm in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. For more information, and to hear music from this year's bands, please visit us at www.progday.net.

Thanks!

Michael

---------------

www.progday.net
    www.michaelbennett.com
    Last edited by Miciah; 08-08-2015 at 12:28 PM.

Amazing band! Great, inspired pick. Countenance was one of the best albums of 2014, to these ears, and they have a bunch of new songs ready to go.

Well done, Michael!!!

neil

Reading about them ... post rock? Yes please!

Banned
    Superb!

Banned
    The schedule:

Schedule: Saturday, September 5th
    Eccentric Orbit (US) • 10:15am
    A great instrumental symphonic rock quartet from Massachusetts with a focus on vintage keyboard sounds and influences ranging from ELP
    to King Crimson.

Ut Gret (US) • 12:30pm
    Music that embraces rock, jazz, world music, classical music and the spirit of adventure found in the avant-garde.

The Mercury Tree (US) • 3:00pm
    The progressive rock trio from Portland brings its creative and original mix of math-rock, post-rock, metal and jazz to Storybook Farm.

TRYO (Chile) • 5:30pm
    Named "The best Chilean band of 2014" by Rockaxis (Chile's premier rock publication), TRYO's range encompasses rock, metal, jazz, Chilean and Latin American folklore, classical and world music.

Schedule: Sunday, September 6th

Pascal Gutman Trio • 10:30am
    with Ramsés Luna & Kiko King (France/Mexico)
    Three great musicians from different geographical and musical origins merge jazz-rock, world music, ambient and experimental elements to explore new musical territories.

Jack O' The Clock (US) • 12:30pm
    The San Francisco area quintet presents its innovative and eclectic blend of Americana, progressive rock and the avant.

Marbin (Israel/US) • 3:00pm
    One of the most gigging bands in the business, this Chicago quartet brings it's fast-flying, hard-hitting fusion to the Storybook stage.

Quantum Fantay (Belgium) • 5:30pm
    The great space rock band from Belgium performs it's renown mix of psyche, prog, electronic, groove and world music.
    Last edited by Firth; 08-09-2015 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Reading about them ... post rock? Yes please!
    Post Rock?! Well, I wouldn't say that. Awesome prog/metal/jazz/math rock, is more like it. But, labels.....only useful to a point.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Post Rock?! Well, I wouldn't say that. Awesome prog/metal/jazz/math rock, is more like it. But, labels.....only useful to a point.

neil

"The progressive rock trio from Portland brings its creative and original mix of math-rock, post-rock, metal and jazz to Storybook Farm."

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I didn't hear much post rock when i streamed their album this afternoon, reminded me more of Pineapple Thief
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

very cool as they are a band I've been into for a little over a year. Countenance is excellent.

Now only if ProgDay would also get Brice Plays Drums, who are actually playing with The Mercury Tree for the 2nd consecutive year in Minneapolis on August 26th.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    "The progressive rock trio from Portland brings its creative and original mix of math-rock, post-rock, metal and jazz to Storybook Farm."

Or, 'post-prog', since that is a tag on their bandcamp page. Going to be awesome, regardless.

neil
    Last edited by boilk; 08-09-2015 at 12:03 PM.

I just saw them with Brice Plays Drums last night in Minneapolis.

They played almost all new songs, that are expected to come out on a new album in the next few months. They said they only have like 3 songs left to record.

The new stuff is pretty technical and heavy, and actually rather dark and atmospheric. There was 1 section of a new track, I was reminded of Cynic actually.

I'm definitely excited to hear their next record. And the ProgDay folks are in for a treat, as they blew me away last night.
    Last edited by mnprogger; 08-28-2015 at 06:46 AM.

^Woohoo! Seeing them Saturday night in Chicago!

neil

WOOHOO!! Saw them last night with Neil & others at a house concert at Rich Poston's (Sonus Umbra) in Chicago. If the Progday crowd doesn't think this band has talent and isn't interesting, I may have to boycott prog for a bit.

For a trio (with 2 of the 3 members under age 25!), the judicious and timely use of loops gives them a much bigger sound.

After their set, we all hung out into the wee hours. These guys are great people.

Their drummer (24 but looks 17), ah, you'll see for yourself.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the drummer.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    WOOHOO!! Saw them last night with Neil & others at a house concert at Rich Poston's (Sonus Umbra) in Chicago. If the Progday crowd doesn't think this band has talent and isn't interesting, I may have to boycott prog for a bit.

For a trio (with 2 of the 3 members under age 25!), the judicious and timely use of loops gives them a much bigger sound.

After their set, we all hung out into the wee hours. These guys are great people.

Their drummer (24 but looks 17), ah, you'll see for yourself.
    Tell it like it is, Geezer! A smoking set, featuring mainly killer new tunes. A very original, creative band. It is going to be an amazing Progday this year.

neil
    Last edited by boilk; 08-31-2015 at 04:50 PM.

Great band. The Fire Note featured them today.
    The Prog Corner

Excellent band and fine people to boot
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

A good set at Progday.
    The drummer was good, although he sometimes looked like he was hearing different music through his headphones.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

POST PROG

I think I like that,
    The Prog Corner