Thread: For Steppenwolf Fans (like me)

For Steppenwolf Fans (like me)

From the official newsletter:

The ABC/Dunhill Singles Collection

What was the hardest-rocking band ever to notch three Top Ten hits? For our money, it s Steppenwolf! Formed from the Canadian band The Sparrow (including Dennis Edmonton a.k.a. Mars Bonfire), and led by vocalist John Kay, Steppenwolf scored with Born to Be Wild, Magic Carpet Ride and Rock Me in the space of nine months back in 1968-1969, and hit the charts eleven more times up though the mid- 70s. Often tagged as a biker band mostly due to their prominent presence on the soundtrack to Easy Rider, Steppenwolf was actually a socially-conscious, highly political outfit, never more so than on their controversial LP Monster, one of 14 charting albums released by the band over a 20-year period. This ability to enjoy commercial success on both the single and album fronts puts them in a very rare category in the annals of rock and roll; and, unsurprisingly, their albums have been well represented in the CD reissue era. Their singles, however, have largely been unavailable on CD in their original 45 mixes, as the tapes for the singles have long been missing (legend has it Dunhill label chief Jay Lasker discarded all the labels multi-track tapes and mono masters after having deemed them too expensive to store). But, just like on our critically-acclaimed Grass Roots singles set, engineer Aaron Kannowski has, after a worldwide search, rounded up the best sources available and put together a two-CD set that doesn't just include the A and B-side of every Steppenwolf single on the ABC/Dunhill label (including, for the first time ever, a decent-sounding Magic Carpet Ride), but of every John Kay solo single as well! And, speaking of John Kay, he sat down with co-producer Ed Osborne for a thorough, track-by-track review for the liner notes (John also requested that we use the album version of Monster rather than the single version, because the single is such a pieced-together Frankenstein job...pun intended). At 38 tracks, and featuring photos by long-time band photographers Henry Diltz and Tom O Neal nee Gundelfinger, this is the ultimate Steppenwolf collection one long dreamed of by the band s fans and it s finally yours after years of preparation from Real Gone Music!

Disc: 1
    1. A Girl I Knew
    2. The Ostrich
    3. Sookie Sookie
    4. Take What You Need
    5. Born to Be Wild
    6. Everybody s Next One
    7. Magic Carpet Ride
    8. Rock Me
    9. Jupiter s Child
    10. The Pusher
    11. It s Never Too Late
    12. Happy Birthday
    13. Move Over
    14. Power Play
    15. Monster (Album Version)
    16. Berry Rides Again
    17. Hey Lawdy Mama
    18. Twisted
    19. Screaming Night Hog
    20. Spiritual Fantasy
    21. Corina, Corina

Disc: 2
    1. Who Needs Ya
    2. Earschplittenloudenboomer
    3. Snow Blind Friend
    4. Hippo Stomp
    5. Ride with Me
    6. For Madmen Only
    7. Black Pit
    8. For Ladies Only
    9. Sparkle Eyes
    10. I m Movin On (John Kay)
    11. Walk Beside Me (John Kay)
    12. Somebody (John Kay)
    13. You Win Again (John Kay)
    14. Moonshine (Friend of Mine) (John Kay)
    15. Nobody Lives Here Anymore (John Kay)
    16. Easy Evil (John Kay)
    17. Dance to My Song (John Kay)

This double CD package can be ordered now and will ship in time for it to arrive in your mail box on or around Aug 14th!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I liked them a lot ! The drummer is highly underated me thinks.

This looks interesting

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Great news, Ron! Thanks for the heads-up.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I'd be interested in the sound of this. I have all of the steppenwolf I need on cd, but if this is a much improved sound I may go for it. Thanks for the update. Steppenwolf was one of my early favorite bands back in the 60's. I don't think I knew what Don't Step on the Grass Sam meant back then though.

My second fave band (after VdGG), at least the classic era ('68 - '72). Criminally under-rated. Steppenwolf 7 and Monster are both stone cold classics, but every other album from that period (Steppenwolf; Steppenwolf The Second; At Your Birthday Party; For Ladies Only) has enough great songs to make a purchase worthwhile. They're one of those bands whose greatest hits collections can't contain all the goodness (i.e., Ball Crusher, Foggy Mental Breakdown, Renegade, etc, from the '7' album are as good as Born To Be Wild, Magic Carpet Ride, etc, in my book)