Thread: Coheed and Cambria - The Color Before The Sun

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Coheed and Cambria - The Color Before The Sun

Preorder started today for the bigass deluxe set. Preorder ends Aug 11. And if you don't order soon they might not be able to put your name in the bigass book!

Preordered! Fairly decent price too.

Very cool. They are an amazing live band; I've seen them every time they've come to DC.

This is released Friday. Not sure when preorders are shipping...

This is my all-time favorite band. Unfortunately, I am not a fan of their new album. Not nearly proggy enough. I guess I'll have to marathon "Good Apollo Volumes I and II" all week instead...

Has it leaked?

It's on Pandora as of today. Released Friday though.

Very pop to these ears. Pleasant enough but very little Prog to be had. After a while I almost forgot I was listening to C&C as the songs are kind of nondescript.

Not essential but not bad either. Shame really as breaking away from the Amory War story could have been a masterstroke.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by crashandridemusic View Post
    It's on Pandora as of today. Released Friday though.
    Pretty annoying that Pandora users get it today but people who preordered the deluxe edition have to wait. F*ck Pandora.

Coheed's website sucks - zero info.

Went through it once...absolutely nothing grabbed me...liked the last two fairly well.

Still only heard two songs from the album - Here to Mars and You Got Spirit, Kid, but at midnight I can download the whole album, and the deluxe edition ships tomorrow.

IMO, Coheed's progressiveness, such as it is, comes more from the weird and unafraid style of the vocals, and the interaction between the instruments, even if the playing and composition aren't especially challenging. They're more prog by being "out there" than anything else. Also, they're able to be aggressive while still sounding pleasing to my ears. I never did really think of them as very prog, but definitely unconventional. My son's first reaction to Claudio's vocals was "ewww!" but I love his vocals. I kind of like that.

That said, I was never really able to get into most of their first few albums, and prefer the last two, so I think I'll like this album. But I can definitely see how they're not many people's thing.

Oh, a set of demos will become available for download at noon tomorrow - apparently they really want people to download their downloads, because it counts for album sales for the charts. So if you preordered the deluxe edition, get your downloads tonight and/or tomorrow.

BTW, while the website isn't helpful, I found my receipt from when I ordered, and when you click on the link for the Live version of your receipt, it contains all the current info. Also, they did send out an email with all the info today. Whew!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Oh, a set of demos will become available for download at noon tomorrow - apparently they really want people to download their downloads, because it counts for album sales for the charts. So if you preordered the deluxe edition, get your downloads tonight and/or tomorrow.
    I bought the super-deluxe on something of a whim; I like C&C but not really enough to splash out this much on a box this expensive but, hey, sometimes the heart wants what it wants. I must say, the communication from the site has been pretty good and, despite the delay to this set, I've quite enjoyed the experience of ordering from them because you get a real sense of joining a sort of "Fan Club" atmosphere.

That's the good news ... the bad news is that the little I've heard of this so far is way too Poppy for my taste. I'm starting to think that the demos may have some of the roughness that would have helped with the released album, but we'll see about that.

I think the album is great, but I admit it's pushing it to call it prog. But whatever, I really like it.

About the demos - and they've done this before - there's one file that has a : instead of a / in the tag for the album name, so when I loaded it onto my iPhone it shows up as being on a different album. Annoying - I had to find the one difference. Same thing happened with one of the sets of demos from the last album! I just now found the difference too! Someone's head should roll!! First World Screw-up!

i keep giving this and the new gazpacho a chance, the latter is a grower but overall these are definitely both really disappointing releases.

I'm sort of surprised if you've ever liked any Coheed & Cambria - I wouldn't think they were ever your thing.

They've written some pretty kick-ass songs here and there...i think The Willing Well I is the best thing they've done...i mean they're pretty bubble gum/cheerleader vocally but there's some good melodies.

My deluxe edition hasn't even shipped yet - what's...uh...the deal?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    My deluxe edition hasn't even shipped yet - what's...uh...the deal?
    They fell behind, like every other physical set this year. You should have had an email offering your downloads.

Coming back to my earlier comments: hearing the demos is pretty much essential for this album. In some respects it feels like a more natural-sounding and dynamic album without the full band, so hearing it in both configurations is highly recommended.

Thanks, yeah, I've had the downloads since they activated them. I got my shipping email yesterday - it's supposed arrive Monday.

Oh, there was a presale today for 2016 tickets - I snagged a nice one for the Theater at MSG in March. I've never seen the band before, but this was a good opportunity.

My copy of the deluxe came today. WTF is the deal with the list of people who preordered? There's like 1000 names in the smallest type imaginable, and they're not in alphabetical order! There's little hope of ever finding my name. I saw this done somewhere else recently, but not as long a list or type as all. But still - alphabetizing is the least they can do. Otherwise, the set looks nice.

I see they've released The Color Before the Sun - Deconstructed. Anyone know if this is different from the demos that came with the deluxe edition of the album?

^^ Thanks - I guess it's the last 10 tracks listed that aren't on the deluxe edition.