Thread: FEATURED CD - High Wheel : Back From The Void

FEATURED CD - High Wheel : Back From The Void

Per SoT dude:
    Here's a great band that unfortunately I had never heard before, and probably most people hadn't for that matter. With the release of Back From the Void, I am sure that Germany's High Wheel will no longer have that problem. This is the bands fourth release, and it is indeed a fine one, combining complex Gentle Giant inspired prog-rock with atmospheric keyboard induced soundscapes.

The Gentle Giant reference is especially refreshing in a world where many bands mimic Yes, ELP or Genesis. Combining quirky, intricate instrumentation (keyboards, guitar, bass, drums, flute, violin) and intelligent multi-part vocal harmonies, High Wheel have taken the Gentle Giant formula into the new millenium and added lots of symphonic textures to that complex strategy. The 32-minute "Blind Archer" is an awesome piece broken down into eleven parts, the highlights being the rampaging guitar/keyboard arsenal of "Arrows", the fantastic interplay of "Strings", and the majestic "Harvest." Keyboard player Andreas Lobinger pushes all the right buttons with layers of synthesizers, including many hot duels with guitarist Wolfgang Hierl. Vocals are shared by most of the band, and are quite pleasant. "Try and Error" is a organ-driven churning rocker with dark lyrics of the rigors of an uncertain life, while "The Screamer" is a somber 12-minute epic containing gentle vocals, atmospheric keys, and wonderful acoustic guitars. There is even some nice poppier material, such as the acoustic "Sleepless", which helps balance out some of the more darker material. There is a hot synth solo on this track which just cuts through the lush acoustic guitars like a knife!

Back From the Void is a must for any contemporary prog fan, as well as those who appreciate the greats of the 70's. High Wheel have put together the perfect balance of complex, virtuoso progressive rock with dark lyrical material and atmospheric tapestries. If you are clamoring for the Gentle Giant reunion that will never happen, check this band out. While no copy band, High Wheel uses the GG influence, adds some muscle, and presents a fresh updated sound that prog lovers will no doubt enjoy.
    http://www.seaoftranquility.org/revi...content&id=423

Regards,

Duncan

This was their supposed "breakthrough" album, yet it's the one album in their discography that I got the least mileage out of. I was always more partial to "There" and its predecessor "Remember The Colours". When I first joined PE, Wolfgang Hierl was a member. IIRC they released a live album after this one and basically disappeared.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I saw this CD cover and for a brief moment was super excited .... lo and behold the featured CD is not Name - Internet Killed the Audio Star, https://name.bandcamp.com/album/inte...the-audio-star

a4100371171_16.jpg
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Wow. I'm digging this a lot. I totally missed these guys. Pretty great stuff that warrants further exploration, I think!
    The Prog Corner

This one was more available than their back catalogue.

You may also want to check out their concept record "There", from 1996. Here's a cample (the only one I could find on Youtube)

They played NEARFest around the time this CD came out. I like There a little better, but all their albums are worth checking out. The live album is good too. Not sure what happened to them.

I also thought "There" was the better album. Saw them at NEARfest and they were enjoyable.

High Wheel played at the first Nearfest that I went to. This was my re-entry into the world of prog. I didn't know about much music going on between 1982-2002, that was "prog." In fact they were the opening band I believe. So thanks to High Wheel for helping me to explore music again. I have not listened to the CD in years, but I will find it and give it a spin.

Good pull for discussion.

I got to NF that year a bit late and missed them, only to get into them a few years later. Good band.

Whatever happened to them anyway?
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

I liked this when I bought it. Liked their set at NF. Pulled it out maybe last year and couldn't make it through. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood. I should give it a spin again and see if it just hasn't aged well with me. I never bought There.

I have this one and "There" and love 'em both.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Just listened to this about a week ago. Well composed, good melodies, variety, I like it a lot. They were at the first NEARfest that I attended, but I got stuck in traffic on the New Jersey turn pike and never saw their set!

neil

I came across this band way back in '94. They had just released "Remember The Colours"; which is still my favorite of theirs. I believe their first two (1910 being their debut) might be hard to find these days?

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Just listened to this about a week ago. Well composed, good melodies, variety, I like it a lot. They were at the first NEARfest that I attended, but I got stuck in traffic on the New Jersey turn pike and never saw their set!

neil
    Sort of like:

My machine she's a dud out stuck in the mud. Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey.

A pretty good album that has it's moments, can't say the vocals do much for me though. I'm kind of luke warm towards it overall.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I don't own this album anymore as it always was their least rewarding for me. I prefer the two that preceeded, with "There" being the best i.m.o.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

They were one of a handful German bands from that period who took the obvious "neo" thing much further into challenging terrain, like Scythe and Versus X. Quite good at that, although I play neither of them very often. And these groups should have applied lyrics in their native tongue - that would actually have been intriguing.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

pulled it off the shelf for the first time in nigh a decade. I still liked it. Ambitious neo prog.

Liked this band a lot. I have all their albums in my iPod so it comes around every so often. Wish they hadn't disappeared so completely because I wouldn't mind another record out of this group.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet