Thread: What the fuck is Cheesewave?

The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Nostalgia for crappy music, apparently.

Ugh! Not "the best music ever released" -- how could anyone think that? Anyone who thinks that I feel sorry for. They are truly dead inside

I'm totally on board with this guy. Look, it's incontrovertible that everyone likes at least one ABBA song. Therefore, everyone likes cheese. It's like masturbating. Don't pretend you don't do it.

Suspended
    "Cheese" is stuff you don't like - or, in the ironic sense that this guy uses it, stuff he likes but which he believes is widely disliked.

Calling something "cheese" is a way of trying to close off meaningful discussion. You're not suppose to like "cheese" as that makes you cheesy.

I once read a music journalist referring, in all seriousness, to Burt Bacharach as the "king of cheese". Elvis Costello, to, his credit, called him out on it. I hate that kind of lazy journalism.

Camembert Electrique is Cheese Rock, strong and streamin' mate

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I'm totally on board with this guy. Look, it's incontrovertible that everyone likes at least one ABBA song. Therefore, everyone likes cheese. It's like masturbating. Don't pretend you don't do it.
    Although I masturbate whenever I can, I don't really care for Abba and haven't even heard that much. When Marillion covered Money, I had never heard it before.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    someone was discussing this under another name on one of the XM channels. It's a subgenre of some other subgenre that nobody in the day it came out ever called "Cheesewave". It's some sort of early disco or offbeat hybrid of disco and wimpy white guy music, from what it sounded like to me.

And wtf-the 80's had the best music??? Frankly, most of the 80's music was horrible-it was like processed cheese food of music.
    Last edited by Rune Blackwings; 08-07-2015 at 09:03 AM. Reason: we won't get into what music after the 80's is cheesewise
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

I had a friend who had a record label that put out dark ambient stuff, Rapoon, Muslimgauze, but he listened to 50s "cheesey" records for fun, because it could not be taken seriously; purely for entertainment. Way ahead of his time...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    I had a friend who had a record label that put out dark ambient stuff, Rapoon, Muslimgauze, but he listened to 50s "cheesey" records for fun, because it could not be taken seriously; purely for entertainment. Way ahead of his time...
    I like cheesy stuff, actually. I traded most of the cheesy stuff I had at record stores though over the years (Bathory picture discs! How can you pass that up???) But back to another comment-I love ABBA. And once you get past all the "cheesy" stuff, there are some pretty dark songs to be found. The band was two married couples, both marriages ending in divorce. They wrote about the disintegration of these marriages in their music. Two of the more popular of these-"Knowing Me Knowing You" and "The Winner Takes It All"
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    It's like masturbating. Don't pretend you don't do it.
    Actually, it's a LOT like masturbating.

@Jen - yeah, ABBA were amazing. It is arguable whether what they did was worth doing, but they did it so well that it made it art.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I always hope that prog-rockers can appreciate lighter or lit music... I mean sometimes I just can't do Relayer!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Blessed are the cheese makers.
    <sig out of order>

To everything there is a season.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    I always hope that prog-rockers can appreciate lighter or lit music... I mean sometimes I just can't do Relayer!
    Its certainly possibly to go "light" without going "cheesy." To me cheese is crossing the line. Bands (like the B-52s) who are intentionally crap earn nothing but scorn from me.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 08-08-2015 at 10:53 AM.

Cheesewave? Hmm, maybe the newest ProgArchives subgenre?

I really hate 98% of the music that came out of the eighties.

Exceptions: XTC, Minutemen, REM, Minor Threat, IQ, New Order, The Smiths, Iron Maiden, The Replacements, Sonic Youth, Talk Talk, Pixies.

As for ABBA...I know it's cool and ironic to like them but I can't go there.
    The Prog Corner

Suspended
    I like ABBA, though even a fan probably only needs one or two of their albums.

I also thought the 80's were a musical wasteland by comparison with the 1960's and 1970's; however on the home front it represents perhaps the golden era of Australian rock. Very few Australian acts got sucked into the trap of exploiting all the features of these wonderful new synthesiser toys instead of actually writing songs. Those who did embrace synthesisers, eg. Icehouse, did so to good effect.