Thread: Thrift shop, find of the month.

Thrift shop, find of the month.

Today, I nearly fell over when amongst all the classical, country, jazz, schlager and compilations on vinyl I found SIMPLE MINDS second album Real to Real Cacaphony from 1979, I've already played it, and not a single crackle, it plays perfectly......AND ...here's the thing, that is the first time I have ever heard that album! And it is fantastic! I only paid 1 Euro for it.

Good score - that's a great album. I bought the X5 box a while back to flesh out my Simple Minds CD collection and I had forgotten how good Real to Real was. It's hard to believe it came out in the same year as their debut. It really set the tone for their next few releases up to Sparkle In The Rain.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Suspended
    How does Real to Real compare with Sons and Fascination/Sister Feelings Call? I have that one and enjoy it, but lost interest in them over their subsequent few releases.

It's their most experimental album, especially on side 1. When they played it to stunned record company execs the reaction was "Jesus Christ, where's the 'Chelsea Girl'?" (referring to the catchy single from the first album). Side 2 is more straightforward and has two of their best songs - 'Changeling' and 'Premonition'. Combine that style with the more rhythmic stuff (like 'I Travel') from the next album, 'Empires and Dance', and you arrive at 'Sons and Fascination'.

Two weeks ago at a Mennonite thrift store that had at most 50 CDs I found "Clutching At Straws" by Marillion. My best find ever was Discipline's "Unfolded Like Staircase".
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Unfortunately, they've been a wasteland for me. Tons of Mantovani type stuff, and reams of religious music, mostly Country Gospel.

Way back in the early 80's I was at a Goodwill and found Esperanto's "Danse Macabre"...other than that it's always been a swing and a miss
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Unfortunately, they've been a wasteland for me. Tons of Mantovani type stuff, and reams of religious music, mostly Country Gospel.
    in my neck of the woods it's Tijuana Brass and Sing Along With Mitch.

My best find was at a Northern Kentucky Goodwill: A "like new" copy of the Eric Tamm Robert Fripp book: 53 cents (including tax!)... Some people have no idea what they're getting rid of...

Suspended
    I never bought any music at a "thrift shop". I did pick up a CD copy of "Lives In the Balance" by Jackson Browne for $2 at an outdoor charity sale; plays like new.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    How does Real to Real compare with Sons and Fascination/Sister Feelings Call? I have that one and enjoy it, but lost interest in them over their subsequent few releases.
    Halmyre nailed it with his response, but I would urge you to listen to the albums up to New Gold Dream, that is admittedly more polished than what had been before, but it is a high water mark. After this release I lost them little by little album by album, but their recent efforts have been pretty good and in the old spirit, especially Graffiti Soul.

Found the "Buckingham/Nicks" LP at a yardsale for $2 and sold it on Amazon for $28.00. It was bought within a day of my posting it.

I just picked up Seconds Out, and Three Sides Live, both Remasters, and the original Three Sides Live for a buck each.They even gave me 25% senior citizens discount. Five disks under $2.50

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    Found the "Buckingham/Nicks" LP at a yardsale for $2 and sold it on Amazon for $28.00. It was bought within a day of my posting it.
    Buckingham and Nicks are not exactly struggling poverty-stricken artists- but nevertheless I don't think I could ever bring myself to sell an album for more than I had paid for it. It just feels wrong.

Perhaps my best ever find was at a car boot sale about 2 months ago when I found an excellent condition first pressing of Amon Duul II - Lemmingmania, their 1975 compo LP, for the ridiculous price of 3 euros.

My thrift shop find of the month:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Real to Real Cacophony is the best thing they ever did, IMHO. Their influx from krautrock is really prominent here.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

R2RC is really good, though I personally prefer Empires & Dance as well as Sister Feelings/Sons & Fascination. The x5 box is neat-o, since it includes some very cool b-sides.

Past Sparkle in the Rain, which is a bit patchy but still enjoyable, it's pretty much a wasteland of bombast IMO.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Real to Real Cacophony is the best thing they ever did, IMHO. Their influx from krautrock is really prominent here.
    I agree with both points.