Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Jam Band Thread

The Jam Band Thread

Once every few years I start a thread to discuss/get recommendations for jam bands. So, recommend to me more bands similar to these:

"Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Suspended
    What's a "jam band"?

Listen to the above...

Phish and Umphrey's McGee would fall under this banner. Basically, bands that tend to stretch out their songs through improvisational jams; usually not-too-complicated one-chord varieties, which draws derision from PE's prog illuminati.

Since the videos you posted aren't of any of the big name Jam Bands I will post one of the local (Ventura, CA) Jam Bands

I'm interested in any band that would have professional sounding music for sale through the likes of Bandcamp; be it live or studio material. I prefer studio output to 30 minutes of noodling per song.

Yonder Mountain String Band
    Leftover Salmon
    Umphrey's McGee
    Widespread Panic
    Smokin' Grannies
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Listen to the above...

Phish and Umphrey's McGee would fall under this banner. Basically, bands that tend to stretch out their songs through improvisational jams; usually not-too-complicated one-chord varieties, which draws derision from PE's prog illuminati.
    Well, it would draw derision from me too, if on a studio album. It's fine though in a live context.
    On the other hand, if they do it with nearly every song, that could become rather tiring.

The jam band phenomenon is more about live performances than studio recordings. Most of these bands don't even release studio recordings but make their shows available for download. I am interested in those bands that do release studio material though, as you get more concise songs.

Suspended
    The jam band phenomenon is more about live performances than studio recordings. Most of these bands don't even release studio recordings but make their shows available for download. I am interested in those bands that do release studio material though, as you get more concise songs.
    Does that mean that if Yes had been a jam band, we could have expected a 3-hour jam rendition of "Close To the Edge"?As opposed to the concise 18-minute version?

Isn't a Yes show merely that? 3 hours of CTTE?

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Widespread Panic
    I've never heard them, but I know Jimmy Herring (Aquarium Rescue Unit) joined at some point and he's a great guitar player! Probably worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Widespread Panic
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I've never heard them, but I know Jimmy Herring (Aquarium Rescue Unit) joined at some point and he's a great guitar player! Probably worth checking out.
    They were actually the first band I thought of when I saw the Thread Title....I do not own anything by them, but I have watched YT videos from time to time......I think they're good; certainly 'above average'

Suspended
    OK, now this is a genuine question, from one who has not heard the term "jam bands" referred to before, as though it were a genre:

Why would you specifically seek out a "jam band"? the term does not seem to be saying anything about the type of music, other than that it featurees long improvisations. Someone who likes a symphonic progressive jam might not be so keen on a dub jam or a rockabilly jam, or a jazz jam (if that's not a tautology). Does the music from jam bands tend to be of a particular style?

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Does the music from jam bands tend to be of a particular style?
    I'd say The Grateful Dead provided the template, if that helps at all.

But are not the best by far.

I'm interested in any band that would have professional sounding music for sale through the likes of Bandcamp; be it live or studio material. I prefer studio output to 30 minutes of noodling per song.
    Here's the link to Shaky Feelings studio release if you are so inclined

http://shakyfeelin.bandcamp.com/album/the-real-picture

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar

For me, The Allman Brothers.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 08-04-2015 at 06:51 PM.

<sig out of order>

OK, now this is a genuine question, from one who has not heard the term "jam bands" referred to before, as though it were a genre:

Why would you specifically seek out a "jam band"? the term does not seem to be saying anything about the type of music, other than that it featurees long improvisations. Someone who likes a symphonic progressive jam might not be so keen on a dub jam or a rockabilly jam, or a jazz jam (if that's not a tautology). Does the music from jam bands tend to be of a particular style?
    Kinda like "prog" doesn't really tell you the style either...
    <sig out of order>

Once every few years I start a thread to discuss/get recommendations for jam bands. So, recommend to me more bands similar to these:

I'm enjoying both of these.
    <sig out of order>

in order for jam bands to reach that "making it sound rehearsed while totally improvising", usually the framework is simple while the players all lock into each other via "telegraphing" (telegraphing is using the instrument to dictate the next chord such as a bassline walk-up, or certain chord changes- like 'I' to 'I7' usually always means 'IV' is next, etc) or eye contact for dynamics cues. This is why "the jam" portions of a song are either kept to a few chord changes OR utilizing chord strings that dictate themselves like Cycle of Fourths, Cycle of Fifths, ii - V - I, combos of vi - V -IV - I, pre-written changes, a vamp of the original chord pattern, or they may call out the changes of a different song they all may be familiar with ("Hey, lets do the chord changes to Blue Bossa "). etc....With this in mind, you will usually see jam bands incorporate styles that conform to what I said above such as blues, blues-rock, funk, reggae, rock, jazz or any combination of those, BUT any style of music can be incorporated (and sometimes does in some fashion depending where the jam may be going and the skillz of the players)

EDIT: I can easily make an argument that this type of playing when executed correctly IS most certainly "Prog" but, first, we all have to be on the same page about what defines Prog and I havent seen that happen on this board yet
    Last edited by klothos; 08-04-2015 at 10:12 PM.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    EDIT: I can easily make an argument that this type of playing when executed correctly IS most certainly "Prog" but, first, we all have to be on the same page about what defines Prog and I havent seen that happen on this board yet
    When and if that happens, the PE forum will crumble to dust and the universe will disappear in a puff of smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I'm enjoying both of these.
    Aqueous I just recently discovered on Bandcamp, but The Breakfast I have been enjoying for a decade now; ever since I reviewed their studio release "Real Radio" for SOT. I strongly recommend that album as it's actual, crafted songs, and not just a bunch of jams.

Aqueous I just recently discovered on Bandcamp, but The Breakfast I have been enjoying for a decade now; ever since I reviewed their studio release "Real Radio" for SOT. I strongly recommend that album as it's actual, crafted songs, and not just a bunch of jams.
    I'll check that out. I'm really not a fan of super long jams and that's one reason why I was never bothered by the perennial claim that Phish's music "didn't translate well to the studio". I just took the studio albums for what they were - which was more concise than their long-winded live shows.
    Last edited by Plasmatopia; 08-05-2015 at 05:00 PM.
    <sig out of order>

I like the longer stuff, from Phish and String Cheese...
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.