Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Jam Band Thread

Two that I like probably don't qualify, but I pick them up from the "stoner rock" category - Earthless and Tia Carrera. Both are instrumental and feature long 3-piece guitar/bass/drum 70's-style hard rock/psychedelic jamming.
    Last edited by Garden Dreamer; 08-07-2015 at 10:33 AM.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I'd say The Grateful Dead provided the template, if that helps at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    For me, The Allman Brothers.
    Remember those Certs commercials?

"It's a breath mint."
    "It's a candy mint."
    "Stop, you're both right!"

And we are.

Fareed Haque - Garaj Mahal.

"In 2001 Haque’s interest in jam bands and the jam scene led him to co-found the jam super-group Garaj Mahal featuring Kai Eckhardt, Eric Levy and Alan Hertz. This began 10 years of extensive touring across the US, performing in excess of 200 shows per year!"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fareed_Haque

Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Anyone familiar with a 90s Jam Band called Lo Faber? Never heard of them before.

I saw this kid live last week. Really talented and a jam band in the Allmans / Gov't Mule style.

In my opinion....the best jam band of them all, Umphrey's Mcgee.

Another up and coming band that might appeal to prog fans: Tauk

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Anyone familiar with a 90s Jam Band called Lo Faber? Never heard of them before.

Faber was part of Westchester County based God Street Wine, a second generation jam band of the early 90s. Wetlands regulars who were signed to both Geffen and Mercury, they were unique in that they were one of the few jambands with a clear Steely Dan influence, particularly on ‘$1.99 Romances’ which they recorded for Geffen circa 93/94. Lots of live shows available at archive.org. The Arch St. Show from Oct 94 is worth hearing.
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only British fan of jambands in the entire world - in particular I just LOVE The Breakfast and Umphrey's McGee. I posted a thread about them a while ago, and made a particular point of mentioning the fact that guitarist Tim Palmieri might just be the best practitioner of his instrument that nobody's ever heard of. For me, it's the improvisational aspect that appeals - it may not always be over the most spectacularly difficult chord changes, but when done well there's a certain musical exuberance there that I find very difficult to resist. And certainly bands like the aforementioned Breakfast and especially Umphrey's McGee have taken the art of rock improvisation to a level far beyond that of the likes of the Dead or the Allmans - and I say that as someone who is quite partial to the former when they weren't being a shambling, drug-addled mess.

KC - Wetton era.
    And many other bands that were active late 60'ties early 70'ties.

Lots of 'jazz' bands...

I've always been a huge fan of Umphrey's McGee, but recently have discovered a few younger bands carrying on the tradition of the prog/jam style. Here's one:

One of the common complaints of jam bands (and prog bands) is the inability to write a decent 5-minute tune. IMHO, Twiddle gets it right more than most:

Here's another one with a nice 4-5 minute tune embedded in a longer, proggier piece:

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Sometimes I feel like I'm the only British fan of jambands in the entire world - in particular I just LOVE The Breakfast and Umphrey's McGee. I posted a thread about them a while ago, and made a particular point of mentioning the fact that guitarist Tim Palmieri might just be the best practitioner of his instrument that nobody's ever heard of. For me, it's the improvisational aspect that appeals - it may not always be over the most spectacularly difficult chord changes, but when done well there's a certain musical exuberance there that I find very difficult to resist. And certainly bands like the aforementioned Breakfast and especially Umphrey's McGee have taken the art of rock improvisation to a level far beyond that of the likes of the Dead or the Allmans - and I say that as someone who is quite partial to the former when they weren't being a shambling, drug-addled mess.
    Just noticed you mentioned Tim Palmieri. He's played with Twiddle many times. Here's a decent clip:

Haven't seen Dopapod mentioned yet...

Quote Originally Posted by ProgPic View Post
    Haven't seen Dopapod mentioned yet...

deo]
    I saw these guys open for Umphrey's a few years ago. Not sure why, but they didn't really click with me. Maybe I will have to give them another chance.

I love The Jam. Oops, wrong thread.
    The Prog Corner

Anyone interested in a 4 day Jam band festival check out our local festival LOCKN'. For me personally I can handle just so much "noodling" then it gets boring. Locknfestival.com

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Anyone interested in a 4 day Jam band festival check out our local festival LOCKN'. For me personally I can handle just so much "noodling" then it gets boring. Locknfestival.com
    Umphrey's typically headlines and plays multiple sets at this one.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Another up and coming band that might appeal to prog fans: Tauk
    Will investigate more. I was a little apprehensive when I saw a guy with a flat-brim baseball cap near a microphone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Will investigate more. I was a little apprehensive when I saw a guy with a flat-brim baseball cap near a microphone.
    I saw them open for Umphrey's a few years ago and was quite impressed with these guys. I picked up several of their albums and they are all good. I think they would fit right in on a prog festival stage.

Not to worry, the microphone must be there just for show. They are all instrumental, at least what I've heard from them. Extremely talented band!!

Here's a Twiddle acoustic side project. The soloing between 44:30-48:15 is sure to please any prog fans.

Not to worry, the microphone must be there just for show. They are all instrumental, at least what I've heard from them. Extremely talented band!!
    Yup, all instrumental.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    The mic was used for speaking to the crowd at the end of the clip.

.....but at least he didn't have it on backwards? Nothing makes me cringe more....lol