Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEATURED CD - Geddy Lee : My Favorite Headache

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Want to hear something scary? Next time you hear an early song by the band No Doubt, check out how much Gwen Stefani sounds a little bit like Geddy Lee back then....its scary...and funny, too, if its a song like "Im Just A Girl" lol

and Claudio Sanchez from Coheed and Cambria almost sounds exactly like him
    In a way, maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    And Alex impersonates Led Zep's "Four Sticks" quite well on the riff...
    True too!
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

I think it definetly filled the void why we waited to see what Rush was going to do next. I love Matt Cameron so it was great to hear him on this. I agree that the the tempo of the songs can be a bit too similar which hurts how memorable they are. I consider it a solid release and I,m glad it happened.
    Don Cassidy
    President, Interviewer, DJ, Artist Promo contact
    Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio
    www.deliciousagony.com

I recall reading that Geddy was going to get David Gilmour to guest on MFH initially but then decided to focus on playing most of the parts himself. Now that would have been interesting!

This gives me a headache. And it is not my favourite one.

Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post
    You mean Lisa Dal Bello? She impersonates Geddy's original vocal style better than Geddy himself after MP
    A little bit of trivia about Lisa Dalbello: She's the original artist for "Gonna Get Close To You", which Queensryche probably made more well known in the states when they covered it on Rage For Order. Personally, I would have preferred if she would have sung most of the songs on Victor, rather than "I Mother Earth"'s Edwin.

As for Geddy's solo effort, it was solid and a decent fill in for the then non-existent Rush. I still like listening to the album.

Lisa Dal Bello aka Dalbello might be the single greatest unknown vocalist on the landscape. Talk about power.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
    Personally, I would have preferred if she would have sung most of the songs on Victor, rather than "I Mother Earth"'s Edwin.
    That would've been cool. I still like Victor as is, though.

The opening song would have been a whole different thing if she had sung it

A pretty good album but I could take or leave it. My daughter knew the DJ at the local radio station, I think he was a teacher at the high school. Anyway he was throwing out a bunch of promo cds and he asked her if she wanted any of it, so she grabbed the promo cd for "Home On The Strange" which had that song on it plus 42 seconds of Geddy talking about it. He said it was the last song that was recorded for the album and he used the drummer for Our Lady Peace(great band) who grew up a couple of hours north of Toronto.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

A little bit of trivia about Lisa Dalbello: She's the original artist for "Gonna Get Close To You", which Queensryche probably made more well known in the states when they covered it on Rage For Order. Personally, I would have preferred if she would have sung most of the songs on Victor, rather than "I Mother Earth"'s Edwin.

As for Geddy's solo effort, it was solid and a decent fill in for the then non-existent Rush. I still like listening to the album.
    Wow, thanks for that. I heard it BITD but hadn't since then. Just looked at the video she did and my gods that song is so creepy. Interesting that QR were very faithful to the original.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Personally, I would have preferred if she would have sung most of the songs on Victor, rather than "I Mother Earth"'s Edwin..
    Maybe, but that odd guttural thing she does on "Start Today" is really off-putting. When she wails at the end of the song, she's top notch.
    Chad

I have victor in my cd player now for the last month, I LOVE that album, Edwins vocals, the whole band, are nothing like Rush, except for Lifesons amazing guitar work, so bloody good. He's HORRIBLY underrated....too bad Geddy wanted none of it on a Rush album, it might have made the the last three worth owning. I haven't heard this one, in fact, I was just wondering listening to how different Victor was, if MFH would sound too much like Rush just by the vocals alone...i guess I'll find out now won't I?

Absolutely adore both My Favorite Headache (I REALLY wish the lyrics were included) and Victor. Never get sick of listening to either.

Perhaps now their could be a tour.

Obviously Geddy's album is a lot more accessible but I think Victor is also every bit a work of genius. Not a fan of Edwin of I Mother Earth though.

It was awesome for Geddy to do signings for the album when it came out. It was fun to meet him for the very brief period that it ended up being.

Oddly enough, I didn't have him sign his album. I had him sign the insert to Different Stages which is just hilarious and a handbill from the early 1970s which at the time I thought was the band but later discovered it was a different band Rush that played in Michigan in 1972.

i remember standing in the rain 4 hours to get my copy autographed on the day it was released. the security guards shuffled us through like a high speed conveyor belt not even enough time to say hello. anyway, i liked the album because it gave to an alternative side of Geddy. of course Ben Mink in the mix gave it a more commercial feel unlike Rush. the title track & Grace To Grace were as close to Rush as you can get. but i actually liked the slower songs like Slipping, Still & Windows To The World. the lyrics are great, not symbolistic psycho mumbo jumble like Peart. but the lyrics were effective and sometimes funny. as a fan of 80's Rush the most, i appreciated this cd because it brought back that 80's feel. i would like to see Geddy do another album.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    i remember standing in the rain 4 hours to get my copy autographed on the day it was released. the security guards shuffled us through like a high speed conveyor belt not even enough time to say hello. anyway, i liked the album because it gave to an alternative side of Geddy. of course Ben Mink in the mix gave it a more commercial feel unlike Rush. the title track & Grace To Grace were as close to Rush as you can get. but i actually liked the slower songs like Slipping, Still & Windows To The World. the lyrics are great, not symbolistic psycho mumbo jumble like Peart. but the lyrics were effective and sometimes funny. as a fan of 80's Rush the most, i appreciated this cd because it brought back that 80's feel. i would like to see Geddy do another album.
    I don't remember it raining outside CD World that day, but maybe it did. I agree. I thought the staff was ridiculous that day. I wish the lyrics were printed somewhere. That's the only thing I don't like about. They went minimalist on the liner notes. That's for sure.

Finally gave this a virtual spin on iTunes...the best Rush album in many a year! Totally surprised by it honestly. Not as great as Victor, but I would listen to this far more than the last three Rush albums without question.
    I find it so interesting that Lee and Lifeson did such great solos albums and yet as a band made such lack luster Rush albums. MY OPINION! Just my opinion!