Thread: Bill Bruford interview from 12/4/1984

Bill Bruford interview from 12/4/1984

Outstanding interview with Bill Bruford from 12/4/1984. He touches on early Yes, UK, King Crimson, etc. Some 'interesting' comments concerning UK that might make you chuckle.

"Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    "I'll be playing drums when I'm Sixty."

Missed it by 1 year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    "I'll be playing drums when I'm Sixty."

Missed it by 1 year.
    Japanese Bootleg Tie...Ha Ha.

Cool! Thanks for the link. Missed this one somehow.

Having watch this and the Steve howe interview from the same year, what a huge difference in perspective.

Bill talks again and again about being a student of music and doing things for of the artistic aspect, always learning and developing.

Steve talks about hit records, chart success, and playing in front of tens of thousands of people.

That was a great interview. It's always a pleasure to listen to Bruford talk about music.

To be honest I feel what he says about UK is somewhat borne out on the album. I've always preferred both 'Danger Money' and Bruford's own work with Holdsworth in this period.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Having watch this and the Steve howe interview from the same year, what a huge difference in perspective.

Bill talks again and again about being a student of music and doing things for of the artistic aspect, always learning and developing.

Steve talks about hit records, chart success, and playing in front of tens of thousands of people.
    This is exactly why I chuckle when people trash Trevor Rabin as the awful AOR hit guy compared to Steve Howe being some shining caretaker of true Prog. People are quick to dismiss the fact that Howe was a key member at the start of Asia and founder member of GTR. Methinks Howe wouldn't have minded another helping of that Asia success.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

I liked the Steve Howe interview too, very honest about Asia peaking early and his fondest memories of Yes being from their earlier days. Also to hear him talking about The Big Three!

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    This is exactly why I chuckle when people trash Trevor Rabin as the awful AOR hit guy compared to Steve Howe being some shining caretaker of true Prog. People are quick to dismiss the fact that Howe was a key member at the start of Asia and founder member of GTR. Methinks Howe wouldn't have minded another helping of that Asia success.
    90125 has held up pretty well as far as songs go. And there is good stuff on big generator as well.

And I say this is probably the person who most despises AOR on this board

I love that he likes All Right Now by Free. Any time I get to "jam" with other people, that's one of the tunes I'll suggest that we might all be able to fake. Love it.

Its always interesting to read or hear interviews with Bill Bruford. Broadminded, intelligent, fun!

I have always thought it could be interesting what he thought of Keith Moons drumming. I can imagine he didnt like it, but still ...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I have always thought it could be interesting what he thought of Keith Moons drumming. I can imagine he didnt like it, but still ...
    He didn't. Around the time of the first Yes album, Bruford had written "Moon" on one shoe and "Go Home" on the other (this according to Peter Banks in the Classic Artists DVD interview)!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    To be honest I feel what he says about UK is somewhat borne out on the album. I've always preferred both 'Danger Money' and Bruford's own work with Holdsworth in this period.
    Danger Money is about 80% as good as UK, and the 1st 2 Bruford ones are 100% as good, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Danger Money is about 80% as good as UK, and the 1st 2 Bruford ones are 100% as good, IMO.
    Nothing produced by those Popstars Eddie Jobson and John Wetton was remotely as catchy -earworm wise--as the synth intro to "Hells bells "
    Da da da da da da da-da da-da Da!!

Popstars Eddie Jobson and John Wetton
    Weren't they on the cover of Tiger Beat like every other week?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Bruford once said in an interview that Moon would have been the perfect drummer for the Crimson track, "Indiscipline".
    It sounded like he meant it favorably.

I didn't get that Steve was purely in it for the chart success and $$. He was really appreciative of success and was surprised that Yes had success right after he joined and totally taken aback by Asia's quick success. He always wanted to make interesting music and give people who came to a concert a great show. I mean, who makes Relayer and Topographic and thinks that is the golden ticket to pop chart success.

What I took from the Bruford interview was that he has been and always will be a student of music, but understood it is a "music business" and in order to get your music heard, you have to balance the musical integrity with commercial acceptance. That's why he did ABWH and Union - to fund his other musical projects. Now, while I understand his reasoning, Ithought that sort of lacked the musical integrity that he has always been known for.

In any case, I did like that Bruford and Howe both didn't dismiss the 70's progressive movement (like certain other bands did) and both respected the competition.

I

Thanks. I always love to hear Bill Bruford talk about anything.

90125 has held up pretty well as far as songs go. And there is good stuff on big generator as well.

And I say this is probably the person who most despises AOR on this board
    well I'd rather hear a good pop song than AOR but even though 90125 and BG are okay---I never listen to them but maybe once or twice a year---not too fond of the 80's---while classic Yes is every week.