Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    http://www.classicshell.net/

Try this. I use it on my Win 8 OS and it makes my life easier.

I hate Win 8 never mind Win 10.

DtB
    Just installed it yesterday - it's great! Made a few other changes, and I'm much happier. I do remember in Windows 7 having something where you could see all the options available in Settings in a long menu, and I found that useful instead of doing a search or hunting around in Settings. Forget how I got that. Anyone know?

The windows 10 settings have some unique features unavailable from the old control panel.
    but, if you type 'control' in the search ( cortana [retch]) you will get Control Panel desktop app. choosing view by small icons is kind of close.

I use classic shell on my win 8.1 machine, but Win 10 demanded that I uninstall it ( and did without asking ) during one of the feature version updates.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I cleaned off 18gb off my laptop doing this but you have to be sure the version of Windows you have is quite stable.

https://www.howtogeek.com/264534/how...of-windows-10/
    Last edited by Jerjo; 05-26-2018 at 04:56 PM.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I have installed Linux Mint on 2 laptops, still learning but they run better than Windows. I'm done with Windows, been suffering with it for decades.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Any guesses what I need to change to get my W10 laptop visible again on my wifi? I used to be able to see it from my other devices but something changed in the last couple of months--automatically; it wasn't something I did. I tried a system restore but whatever changed happened before my oldest available restore point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    http://www.classicshell.net/

Try this. I use it on my Win 8 OS and it makes my life easier.

I hate Win 8 never mind Win 10.

DtB
    I'm still on Win7, but looking to get a new laptop with Win10. Good to know.

I'm thinking of hiring some computer tech guy to do a clean install and put just my essential apps with Norton Ghost (do they still make that?) so that if an auto-update screws things up I can reinstate a previous image of my system.

Is Win10 like modern day smartphones? I hate the auto-update stuff and can't seem to know how to turn off apps that I don't even use (Instagram, Uber, etc). I just want a clean install on my phone, don't know of there are techy types that can do that, never checked into GeekSquad.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is there a way to prevent it from ever showing up, and having a more “classic” Windows 7 type Start menu?
    Win10 Start Menu with all the apps sorted alphabetically is pure shit.

Download the external freeware application "Classic Shell" and you 'll get your Win7 menu + customisation possibilities back.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Sorry to post this here. It ain't really related, but:

Anyone else struggling with family members (teens, spouses, etc) who are very into using social media, streaming, (and possibly PC games), but have pretty much zero knowledge of how technology works? It's driving me up the wall! My son in college wanted to watch something on Showtime. We get showtime via our cable provider, so I told him "Go to www.showtime.anytime, and enter this id and password. He texts me back and asks "Outlook or email?" WTF?

Then there's the classic "The internet's not working!"

I don't blame them, because this crap HAS gotten more cumbersome (have to log in again over and over, etc). Actually I do blame my wife, who still doesn't understand what a "window" is, despite using Windows for years. But they sometimes have this idea that everyone else has zero problems with their internet service, connections, etc., the internet is perfect, Windows or Apple's OS are perfect, and if there's a problem it's somehow MY fault. It's a constant Desktop Support job, just for my family.

Flashbacks to my parents not knowing how to program the VCR. Why is there such a small slice of the population who knows how this stuff works, or how it doesn't work, and can deal with it?

But I remember working with people who didn't understand what a mouse was for. I guess you had to be born at the right time for some of this shit.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 11-16-2018 at 04:14 PM.

Banned
    ^^^

Man, don't get me started. Microsoft has made millions stealing tech from others, f**king that up and producing shite software. There is no reason that you shouldn't be able to leave your computer on and have it stay stable, but MS historically has not been able to manage it's memory despite VMS, UNIX and others being able to do that and guarantee no memory leaks or overwrites at least since the eary 80's. I've programmed in a windows environment and DOS before that so I know that garbage first-hand, and I've seen UNIX and VMS machines that have literally run fine for YEARS with having never been shut down or re-booted.

I've also run into techies who really don't know what a window is - is is actually a handle to a structure in memory... and yes if people are going to depend on this technology they should learn to solve their own basic problems and not bug Daddy Orangutan every five f**king minutes....

Sory

I heard a dude on the radio talking to another young'un and acting like desktops were some relic of ancient history.

Say what?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I heard a dude on the radio talking to another young'un and acting like desktops were some relic of ancient history.

Say what?
    Possibly gamers. Laptops generally dont have the power, RAM, graphic card, etc. needed.
    My son has a MAC laptop (not cheap, 2000 $ ) and he is complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post

Say what?
    60% of all digital time is spent on mobile devices

65% of all web searches are mobile.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

And each app is a 'desktop', all you need is a 'launcher' to organize your apps
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    60% of all digital time is spent on mobile devices

65% of all web searches are mobile.
    I'm doing a market research project on a particular type of web sites, working through a list of about 1500 URLs. The number of sites that do not have a responsive web design (something that will fold up and display nicely on a phone or tablet) is still ridiculous.

And because I'm working I've spent a lot of time on the new PC. With the bigger RAM and the SSD, Windows 10 works flawlessly. The only thing I am disappointed in is how bugged up Microsuck has made Windows Media Player. And now they're pushing this Groove Music media player which is a piece of shit. I had to go into settings to disable any W10 updates from touching any other Microsuck software because every update makes Windows Media Player forget the genre/artist name/album art/etc for about 2000 songs (that is not an exaggeration).

I am not an IT wizard but somehow among friends, family, and spouse I have become "the guy" when it comes to figuring out what they've fucked up now. I have a friend who bought an Apple laptop and iPad, then ignored every update for three years. Took a while to get those up to date. My wife uses wrong terms all the time, gets frustrated at little flaws in Facebook but thinks those are from her computer, and hates tabs so there is always fifteen separate windows of Chrome up. Sigh.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I'm doing a market research project on a particular type of web sites, working through a list of about 1500 URLs. The number of sites that do not have a responsive web design (something that will fold up and display nicely on a phone or tablet) is still ridiculous.
    Beyond ridiculous. I am a member of my local Chamber of Commerce (I'm still trying to figure out why) and it's amazing how many people have shitty websites. I'm also stunned at how many legal firms have no website at all. The biggest problem is how many hacks are out there building websites who shouldn't be. They all think that if it looks good, it's good. One firm I know (whose turds I've had to polish after-the-fact) is building one of my client's site. The home page photo, which should have a file size no larger than 100kb is 4.6MB!! That's 46 times larger than it should be. Page-load problems?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Anyone have any idea where to turn off One Drive the windows 10 cloud thing? My machine came preloaded with I and it keeps either taking my photos etc or telling me I ran out of space. I have no desire to store any files in a cloud.

Something like this should do it.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to...drive-3664769/

Thank you. Do you know if when One Drive takes a file and stores it in the cloud , is there still a version of that file on the computer hard drive?

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Thank you. Do you know if when One Drive takes a file and stores it in the cloud , is there still a version of that file on the computer hard drive?
    Maybe. The 1809 version of w10 has a cute thing where it "cleans up" unneeded files on you local drive if they are in the cloud.
    One Drive Files On-Demand will put a link ( or list in Recents ) in explorer and get the file from the cloud if opened in office or explorer.
    A blue cloud icon next to a OneDrive file or folder indicates that the file is only available online.
    There was some concern when 1809 came out last year when some people reported loosing all of their locally stored files because of this feature.
    It has been fixed, but the mechanism to clean up still exists. I am not sure where the controls are.
    I won't use it unless forced to, at work. They are all about force feeding the kool-aid.
    -- Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Maybe. The 1809 version of w10 has a cute thing where it "cleans up" unneeded files on you local drive if they are in the cloud.
    One Drive Files On-Demand will put a link ( or list in Recents ) in explorer and get the file from the cloud if opened in office or explorer.
    A blue cloud icon next to a OneDrive file or folder indicates that the file is only available online.
    There was some concern when 1809 came out last year when some people reported loosing all of their locally stored files because of this feature.
    It has been fixed, but the mechanism to clean up still exists. I am not sure where the controls are.
    I won't use it unless forced to, at work. They are all about force feeding the kool-aid.
    What were they thinking? Exactly why Im wary and want out.

What were they thinking?
    They weren't. They rarely seem to be, do they?

Yes, you still have all your files locally on your hard drive. One drive "copies" a backup to the cloud, it doesn't "move" them.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

They weren't. They rarely seem to be, do they?
    They have a long history of lack of vision. Bill Gates never saw a PC as being anything more than an autonomous box sitting on desktops. DOS and Windows were therefore built from the ground up as inherently insecure operating systems. I used to joke that "Microsoft security" was an oxymoron like jumbo shrimp, or military inteligance.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    They have a long history of lack of vision. Bill Gates never saw a PC as being anything more than an autonomous box sitting on desktops. DOS and Windows were therefore built from the ground up as inherently insecure operating systems. I used to joke that "Microsoft security" was an oxymoron like jumbo shrimp, or military inteligance.
    His smart move was in licensing it.

His smart move was in licensing it.
    The real kicker is the original MS-DOS licensed to IBM was essentially CP/M, with a few modifications.