Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easter Eggs

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar

Easter Eggs

Not songs about Easter eggs, but things that were done for people to find.

I just learned of one on a CD I have, from Wikipedia on the Arcturus album La Masquerade Infernale:

"Track 6 is subdivided into 66 parts. At the end of the track, the subtrack counter has increased to 66, making the display show 666."
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

That whole Tool Lateralus Fibonacci Sequence thing is pretty cool.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    That whole Tool Lateralus Fibonacci Sequence thing is pretty cool.

had to look that up-that's a crazy one!

Suspended
    Apparently there's a "bonus" track on the first Tame Impala CD, that you only get to access if you play it on a PC. I keep meaning to check it out sometime.

This might be common knowledge, but I just found out recently that it's possible to hide a track on a CD before track 1, so the only way to hear it is to hit rewind just as the disc starts playing. Most CD ripping software doesn't even acknowledge the hidden track.

Wikipedia's got a big list of CDs where people have found such a track: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._in_the_pregap

The only one on the list that I could confirm was Cheap Trick's self-titled release from 1997. They list a hidden track for ELO's "Face the Music", but I tried my copies of both the original CD release and the remaster, and neither had a hidden track.
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post
    This might be common knowledge, but I just found out recently that it's possible to hide a track on a CD before track 1, so the only way to hear it is to hit rewind just as the disc starts playing. Most CD ripping software doesn't even acknowledge the hidden track.

Wikipedia's got a big list of CDs where people have found such a track: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._in_the_pregap

The only one on the list that I could confirm was Cheap Trick's self-titled release from 1997. They list a hidden track for ELO's "Face the Music", but I tried my copies of both the original CD release and the remaster, and neither had a hidden track.
    Yeah, there's a Willie Nelson tribute album I have (Jerry Cantrell is on it) that has that feature. If you hit rewind on the first track, it goes back and there is a bit of dialogue between Waylon Jennings and someone else.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    My wife has an X Files CD that has 2 Nick Cave songs that can only be heard if you manually reverse from track 1 for 9 minutes.

Suspended
    Monty Python did probably the best "Easter egg" of all time - but unfortunately it really could only be made to work with vinyl. One of their LPs had, instead of the usual single spiral groove, two interleaved spiral grooves on one side, so you heard one thing or the other depending on which groove the stylus happened to be placed into.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Monty Python did probably the best "Easter egg" of all time - but unfortunately it really could only be made to work with vinyl. One of their LPs had, instead of the usual single spiral groove, two interleaved spiral grooves on one side, so you heard one thing or the other depending on which groove the stylus happened to be placed into.
    Marillion's Brave also has two grooves on the final side. Depending on which groove you hit you either get The Great Escape - Falling From The Moon - Made Again or The Great Escape (shorter version) - [lapping waves]. That final version is basically the version you also hear in the Brave movie and I also refer to it as the "she did jump" version.

Surprisingly, that list doesn't include the only one I knew of: the hidden track on disc 2 of John Oswald's Grayfolded.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    The 12" single for M's "Pop Music" also did this

They list a hidden track for ELO's "Face the Music", but I tried my copies of both the original CD release and the remaster, and neither had a hidden track.
    Not sure about that one, but ELO has a bunch of Recorded Easter Eggs on their albums. As a matter of fact, the album "Secret Messages" is practically dedicated to it....One example of an ELO Recorded Easter Egg is the intro to "Down Home Town" on Face The Music: its the chorus to "Waterfall" backmasked

Oh yeah! Information Society had a hidden .txt file on their third album that could only be deciphered by playing the album into a phone modem

http://www.noisemademedoit.com/300bps-n-8-1/

Ah, I love the little musical Easter Eggs composers dabble with. A couple that many here probably already know include the bits of Wind and Wuthering that appear in altered form in Wot Gorilla (some, like the One for the Vine lead, are pretty well-disguised by a change in rhythm and where the accents fall), or similar with Trick and Los Endos.

There's also Kevin Gilbert's Shadow Self, worked out to be 7:06 long (aka 6:66), and Mike Oldfield's Amarok which, depending on ripping software, comes in at 60 minutes flat, with a defined change right at the 30-minute mark. I appreciate the craft of making this work without sounding stilted or gimmicky.

These are really more "composer" tricks than tricks of any particular medium.

Klaatu for the win in my book- the brilliant re-imagining of Anus Of Uranus backwards as Silly Boys.

BTW it's pretty minor but Glass Hammer had a run of at least four albums, maybe five where a major theme from on album appeared again hidden on the next. I don't know if I even know where the quotes are now.

Didn't Pink Floyd have a hidden message on The Wall?

Ah, right:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/nick-...ecret-message/

I have at least 3 CD's that have hidden tracks at the beginning: John Oswald/Grateful Dead "Grayfolded" (already mentioned above), John Cale's "Hobosapien" (Brit import version, the US release includes the song as a normal bonus track), and XTC's 4-CD box set "Coat of Many Cupboards" (not sure which disc, but it's a 7-minute blues "jam"). Incidentally, only 1 of my CD players can "rewind" from the beginning of track one; the others give you an error message.

That Wikipedia list (and the related one showing all kinds of hidden tracks) are enlightening. I found more that I didn't even know I had!

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    That Wikipedia list (and the related one showing all kinds of hidden tracks) are enlightening. I found more that I didn't even know I had!
    I think everything I have where Hellhammer drums on has pre-tracks

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    The 12" single for M's "Pop Music" also did this
    And Kate Bush's "Sensual World" 12-inch single - you get either the vocal or instrumental version of the song.

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Oh yeah! Information Society had a hidden .txt file on their third album that could only be deciphered by playing the album into a phone modem

http://www.noisemademedoit.com/300bps-n-8-1/
    The Thompson Twins had a 12" single which ended with a “track” that could be recorded to cassette and played back on a Timex-Sinclair computer tape drive, revealing the Thompson Twins computer game.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    The Thompson Twins had a 12" single which ended with a “track” that could be recorded to cassette and played back on a Timex-Sinclair computer tape drive, revealing the Thompson Twins computer game.
    Wow! Thats even cooler!

Alice Cooper hid a couple of things in his concert film from '73.. I never could be bothered to follow the directions to see what they were all about..

Wasn't "Physical (You're So)" an easter egg on NIN's Broken?
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Hendrix's Third Stone From the Sun has an astronaut communication recorded at the 45 rpm speed in its middle section

There is a couple The The tracks (some suggest the whole album) that can be listened to 33 or 45 rpm >> sound completely different tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Klaatu for the win in my book- the brilliant re-imagining of Anus Of Uranus backwards as Silly Boys.
    Don't get it!! can you expand, please?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    Wasn't "Physical (You're So)" an easter egg on NIN's Broken?
    It depends on which pressing you had. Early pressings came with the song (and one other) on a separate 3" CD. I had that version.