Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shub Niggurath Les Morts Vont Vite vinyl reissue

Shub Niggurath Les Morts Vont Vite vinyl reissue

One of my all-time favorite albums gets a vinyl reissue

I hope they do a good job cause The original Musea release is really good dynamic and punchy - just put Cabine 67 or La Ballade De Lénore and crank that volume and you will be receiving a lesson in dynamics !
    Steve F. : "Music that reaches the Inner Core of the Evil Void"
    Shub Niggurath were a brilliant, very dark, French Zeuhl band Using the unique instrumentation of female voice, guitar, trombone, piano/ harmonium, bass & drums, The original line-up (the only line-up that matters, imo) featured Alain Baullaud-bass, Franck Coulaud-drums, Franck Fromy-guitar, percussion, Jean-Luck Hervé-piano, harmonium, Ann Stewart-vocals and Veeronique Verdier-trombone. They seemingly burst out of nowhere with their stunning debut album on Musea "Les Morts Vont Vite a stunning very dark Zeuhl classic. influenced by Magma, Univers Zero & beyond and then dissapeared back into whatever dark hell had inspired them in the first place. BUT: what many didn't know is that in 1984/85, in preparation for a tour, they had recorded a 41' session that was issued only as a cassette tape. A copy of the tape had come to us in the mail with no contact information and I had thought it was pretty great, and then I never heard of them again until their album was released 3-4 years later! Now over 25 years later, these recordings, which feature 5 songs - only one of which was later re-recorded for Les Morts Vont Vite -Like Heresie, this is one of the creepiest records ever made.
    https://youtu.be/HHK-5pLrBN0

I've got the original Musea release, and it's indeed spectacular - musically and sonically. The two bonus tracks featured on the CD reissue from a decade + back were both from compilations, Musea's own Zeuhl collection Enneade and the AYAA/post-RIO rarities sampler Douze Pour Un.

Incredible record, IMO - and that debut cassette was great as well.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    One of my all-time favorite albums gets a vinyl reissue

I hope they do a good job cause The original Musea release is really good dynamic and punchy - just put Cabine 67 or La Ballade De Lénore and crank that volume and you will be receiving a lesson in dynamics !
    Didn't know you dug that record so much man - right on. Its a great one for sure - its heavy in a different way (more like bone-chilling zombies gnawing at your arm which has been marinated for 24 hours and grilled to perfection, with a side order of mashed potatoes). And so true with the dynamics! Is this a straight transfer and not a remaster?

So who's putting it out?

Blossom records
    I thought that it was Replica Records...

chalkpie
    This might be a real long shot and I could be talking out of my arse, but I seem to recall a Shub N reference on a live FZ album or bootleg.....some obscure reference. Ring a bell anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    This might be a real long shot and I could be talking out of my arse, but I seem to recall a Shub N reference on a live FZ album or bootleg.....some obscure reference. Ring a bell anybody?
    He learned to play golf
    And he got a good score
    Now he says to himself
    "I ain't Shub Niggurath no more!"

No, that's not it...

chalkpie
    ^

Good one for Halloween.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Just spoke with Frank Fromy and he was completely unaware of this reissue
    Here is an interview with Frank Fromy
    http://kohntarkosz.blogspot.co.il/20...nck-fromy.html

In fairness to the label, something like 20 years ago I made an attempt to contact the band and I spoke to 'the band' briefly about doing a reissue of some of their stuff and I found them frustratingly secretive and stupidly hard to communicate with. And it wasn't a language issue.

Just because he is unaware of the reissue doesn't mean it isn't 100% legit. You don't know what their contracts say.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Who said anything about this being not legit ?
    btw I only know Frank Fromy and from my experience a he is reachable and responsive as you or me

Who said anything about this being not legit ?
    Udi - when you post on this forum:

"Just spoke with Frank Fromy and he was completely unaware of this reissue "

The implication for many people reading is that it isn't legit. I didn't say you said it wasn't legit, but the implication for many here is exactly that.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    That's how I read it. We have so many instances of that situation it was a logical extension.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I didn't imply anything I just put a sad smiley the label fucked up the album title “le-morts-sont-vite”

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Udi - when you post on this forum:

"Just spoke with Frank Fromy and he was completely unaware of this reissue "

The implication for many people reading is that it isn't legit. I didn't say you said it wasn't legit, but the implication for many here is exactly that.

^ ^ ^ ^

Nevertheless, the man with the dead cow avatar sees my point. I hope you will not take what I said as my saying 'you're wrong', but will take into account how people on PE read things and consider my point as well.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

English is not my mother language - but can one imply exactly ?

This is good news. I've never owned a physical copy of this, so I'll be getting one of these.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Yes, hail The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Yes, hail The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!!!
    Iä! Shub-Niggurath!

But seriously, I was always a bit scared by what I'd read about this band -- too much to pick up any of their albums actually.

There appears to be a Mexican(?) death metal band with the same name. Beware.

French:

• Les Morts Vont Vite (Fr. "The Dead Go Quickly") (1986)
    • C'Étaient De Très Grands Vents (Fr. "Winds Were Very Great") (1991)
    • Testament (1994)
    • Introduction (2009, slightly different reissue of the self-titled Shub-Niggurath demo tape originally released in 1982)

Mexican:

I'm interested, but I'll hold out for a CD reissue.

^ ^ ^ ^

it's been out on CD for 15 years.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com