Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roger Waters concert at Newport Folk Festival tonight

Roger Waters concert at Newport Folk Festival tonight

July 24, 2015
    A few hours ago. I did not attend, anyone who did please post thoughts. Copied setlist from another board. Seems My Morning Jacket sat in with him. GE Smith on lead guitar.

Crystal Clear (New song)
    Mother (Pink Floyd)
    The Bravery of Being Out of Range
    Hello In There (John Prine cover)
    Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd)
    Wide River to Cross (Buddy Guy cover; a tribute to Levon Helm w/Amy Helm sitting in on violin)
    Amused to Death
    Brain Damage > Eclipse (Pink Floyd)
    Forever Young (Bob Dylan cover)

Amused To Death was re-released today, he played 2 tracks from there. I'll post any yt vids if/when they show.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

"Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Fantastic show in a little bit of rain. As you can see in the videos, Roger was lively. My Morning Jacket and G.E. Smith were strong and Lucius provided lovely back-up vocals.

I could've gone for more Roger/Floyd material instead of the John Prine and Levon Helm tributes, but the hard rock version of Dylan's Forever Young was a perfect closer.

Here's a little video I took of the end of Wish You Were Here: https://vimeo.com/137342010

Why was he playing at a folk festival?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Why was he playing at a folk festival?
    It's hardly a folk festival anymore... then again, it depends on how you define 'folk'. But his set was pretty folksy in the traditional sense. He did go electric for the Dylan cover (since Dylan went electric at that very spot 50 years prior).

Did he lip sync during this performance?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    Did he lip sync during this performance?
    He pretended to, but it was not really him lip syncing.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    He pretended to, but it was not really him lip syncing.
    Ha nice.

It was so disappointing when I saw RW on his DSOTM tour ten years or so ago and he lip synced half the show. And I wasn't the only one who recognized it as such.

At least Yes doesn't do that.

I haven't watched any yet, but I was hoping it would be a stripped-down performance. Seeing that GE Smith, one of the biggest hams in the biz, was in the band is a bit of a bummer.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I haven't watched any yet, but I was hoping it would be a stripped-down performance. Seeing that GE Smith, one of the biggest hams in the biz, was in the band is a bit of a bummer.
    What's wrong with GE Smith? He's a great guitar player.

Big O put up the show a few days ago-
    http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=2482

Wow, I thought I was the only one who felt that way about GE Smith. His "mugging" on SNL was always a thorn in my side.

But it's all a matter of perspective. He's on a worldwide stage & I'm sitting home on my sofa. So there!
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Wow, I thought I was the only one who felt that way about GE Smith. His "mugging" on SNL was always a thorn in my side.

But it's all a matter of perspective. He's on a worldwide stage & I'm sitting home on my sofa. So there!
    Hey, look on the bright side, it could've been Paul Shaffer up there

To be impartial, GE was pretty low key when I caught The Wall on the most recent Phoenix visit...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

I thought the same thing when I saw his name...just don't like the guy and always thought he was so over the top on SNL to be cartoonish
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

What's wrong with GE Smith? He's a great guitar player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    This. Really ,it was the entire band of hams, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    I thought the same thing when I saw his name...just don't like the guy and always thought he was so over the top on SNL to be cartoonish
    And, this.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

This. Really ,it was the entire band of hams, IMO.

And, this.
    Have you ever seen his live work with Hall and Oates. I think their live sound suffered greatly when he moved on to other things.

Have you ever seen his live work with Hall and Oates. I think their live sound suffered greatly when he moved on to other things.
    Didn't T-Bone Wolk and GE move on from H&O directly to SNL around '85 or thereabouts? T-Bone's first name shoulda been Hot Dog...

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    Didn't T-Bone Wolk and GE move on from H&O directly to SNL around '85 or thereabouts? T-Bone's first name shoulda been Hot Dog...
    T-Bone kept working with H&O until his untimely death in the early 2000s.

Both are great players. Gotta hand it to PE and the progger's disdain for anything not exclusively prog.

There are good musicians that don't play prog.

Absolutely. And H&O's music was by and large great stuff.

T-Bone kept working with H&O until his untimely death in the early 2000s.

Both are great players. Gotta hand it to PE and the progger's disdain for anything not exclusively prog.

There are good musicians that don't play prog.
    Who's painting who with a broad brush here?

For my part, I never said they weren't good musicians, although to counter I observed GE as being low-key with the Wall show I saw in Phoenix in contrast to his SNL hamminess - I thought he was particularly good on acoustic for Mother...

OTOH, then there's T-Bone's "rapping" during his solo segment of the H&O show I saw in '84 @ University of Illinois/Carbondale

But, wait a minute! If you are a closed minded prog snob, what were you doing at a H&O show? The plot thickens!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    But, wait a minute! If you are a closed minded prog snob, what were you doing at a H&O show? The plot thickens!
    um...I've evolved over the past 31 years?

That same year, I also had to take my sister to a concert featuring New Edition, UTFO, and the Jesse Johnson Revue...in Detroit - it was reminiscent of the Road Trip scene from Animal House...

The scourge of people holding up their phones to take these shitty YouTube videos, blocking the view of the people behind them, must be stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    Jesse Johnson Revue
    not sure if it's the same dude, but the one I've heard can play some killer Guitar
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?