Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Ladder revisited

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Well, a pre-Yes version of "Finally" was released on Conspiracy The Unknown (2003) as a bonus track as "I could." That version, not surprisingly, sounds closer to an OYE track.
    Huh. I have that, but don't remember that at all.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by ProgArtist View Post
    Jon sings "We Have Heaven" during "Can I?".

During the instrumental break well into "New Languages", Chris plays a variant on the bass part to "Roundabout".

Steve's part to "Nine Voices" is very similar to what he played on "Your Move". On top of that, the "diddit diddit" part from the same song also appears in the background vocals.

Those are the three I can think of off the top of my head.
    On "Quartet" from ABWH, Jon quotes several old Yes songs.

Bought a copy on Amazon for $1.98 and gave it a good close listen a few days ago from start to finish. To sum it up quickly I'd say it's recorded and performed very well, but"too post UNION Jon", too "Teakbois" in many parts, and just too bland overall for my taste. I'll keep it in my collection this time but probably won't dig it out too often. I much prefer "Fly From Here". Nice artwork though...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Huh. I have that, but don't remember that at all.
    The version on Amazon that I got was with that as a bonus track at the end. It bugged me at first since I liked it but seemed familiar and couldn't place it. "I could" is 4:20 whereas "Finally" is just 3:25 until extended by the ethereal part.

I like the rock/urgency of "I could" better , but it is with the OYE production.

I wonder if not included since maybe sounds too similar to "Open Your Eyes". If they would have put it on, I think it would have been my second favorite song on OYE.
    Last edited by yamishogun; 07-30-2015 at 09:36 PM.

Here are the lyrics.

Never say didn't contribute to the archives of PE

I could (Sherwood/Squire)
    ---------------------------------

When I close my eyes
    I start imagining
    All the dreams I have
    Leave me wondering

Why is it that I have the power to see
    Only in my mind what I want to be

I could face my fear
    I could feel no pain
    I could start the fire
    I could bring the rain

I could chase my dream
    I could watch it fade
    I could lose it all
    I could have it made

When I'm alone
    Thoughts go wondering
    Crazy at it seems
    They don't mean a thing

There's one place that
    I set my spirit free
    Only in my mind
    Is where I want to be

(Chorus)

Why is it when I start imagining
    All the dreams I had
    Leave me wondering
    But when I close my eyes
    I can feel so free
    The questions that I ask
    Are no mystery

(Chorus)

Compare the chord progression of "Finally/I Could" to the one from "Loveshine" . . . . . . . they toyed around with that idea quite a bit.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Reginod View Post
    Compare the chord progression of "Finally/I Could" to the one from "Loveshine" . . . . . . . they toyed around with that idea quite a bit.
    Interesting.Thanks for this. I really like Loveshine and care not one bit of what others think

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    The only Yes records I personally rate as poor to bad are Union, Open Your Eyes and Heaven & Earth. Magnification is my post 90125 fave, but I think The Ladder is damned good. I still play it. It also has the distinction of being just about the last thing I ever listened to on cassette tape. An advance copy found its way onto eBay several months before the album dropped. Some fans pooled their money, bought it and treated some of us to cassette previews. The release I need to revisit from this period is House of Yes which has live versions of a goodly chunk of The Ladder.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

I'm pretty sure there's a cream or an ointment for Loveshine.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Well... it's actually mostly mildly better than I remember.

I played the Ladder a lot in 1999 but if I ever play it now, I usually play Homeworld and New Language. I don't understand why more don't like New Language. I think overall more interesting than Homeworld.