Thread: Computor question

Computor question

Is it possible, when installing a program, say Microsoft office, to install it on a flash drive so you can use the office functions on more than one computer by moving the flash drive around?

No - to my knowledge you cant make Microsoft programs work like that.
    If you have a small program not integrated in the main system eg. an exe. file then you can. Like the notepad.

But with other systems (ubuntu a.o. linux systems) you might.

Suspended
    There is no technical reason why you couldn't do it, provided you have sufficient space for the program and all its support files on the flash drive.

Whether Microsoft gives you a way of configuring the install do do this is another matter.

Of course it goes without saying that the different computers would have to have compatible architecture. Even if they are both "PC's", there may be differences in the BIOS or in the RAM configuration that mean a .exe file that runs on one will crash on the other.

With Linux systems, you would still have the same issue - but you normally wouldn't want to do it this way anyway. Installing something from a Linux distribution normally involves compiling program code (eg written in C or Java or Python), resulting in executable files that depend on the particular computer architecture. You would install for each computer.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Is it possible, when installing a program, say Microsoft office, to install it on a flash drive so you can use the office functions on more than one computer by moving the flash drive around?
    Based on the quick Google search I did for you ("can I run Microsoft Office on a flash drive"), short answer is no. Long answer is - yes, there are sophisticated or specific workarounds that either involve installing certain apps, a very specific version or Word, or other programs that are not Microsoft that allow you to open and edit items like Word docs.

A second Google search ("portable Microsoft office flash drive") reveals this open source portable software on the 1st page of searching.

http://portableapps.com/apps/office/openoffice_portable

A third quick search (openoffice portable) reveals several review sites that seem to imply the product has been around and stable enough to be a viable portable workaround solution.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Suspended
    ^^ Yes, OpenOffice has been around in one form or another since the late 1990's.

The problem with most Windows-based software is that it is not a stand-alone program but runs via a combination of its own executable and a number (dozens to hundreds) of support files including numerous dll files. Some of these files are placed in specific locations that Office would look for and not finding them, would not run correctly if at all. So while you might be able to get the main executables on a flash drive, if you didn't have all the other libraries available, it won't work. I would think it isn't worth the effort to even try.

As Bob mentioned, OpenOffice is open source so its available for free. If you are not very knowledgeable about open source, you can get an install program that will install it nice and easily, and since its free, you can put it on any or every computer you like. I believe it runs in Windows, Linux and Mac. You can load Office files into OpenOffice and save OpenOffice files using Office formats. The only real difference is that the interface is different so you would have to get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Based on the quick Google search I did for you ("can I run Microsoft Office on a flash drive"), short answer is no. Long answer is - yes, there are sophisticated or specific workarounds that either involve installing certain apps, a very specific version or Word, or other programs that are not Microsoft that allow you to open and edit items like Word docs.

A second Google search ("portable Microsoft office flash drive") reveals this open source portable software on the 1st page of searching.

http://portableapps.com/apps/office/openoffice_portable

A third quick search (openoffice portable) reveals several review sites that seem to imply the product has been around and stable enough to be a viable portable workaround solution.
    e

I didn't realize a search would be so straight forward. Thanks for your help and the other answers also. Some years back I bought MS Office on a disc, it was good for 3 installs and was less than 175. Now its 135 for a student version for 1 install or 70 per year subscription. Its the principal of it , I feel its price gouging. Anyze way , I had created an excel spreadsheet to catalogue my movie dvds, I liked that it would auto alphabetize and had columns enabling genre and director entries. I 'm years behind in entries, and 2 of the 3 computors with the office program are kaput. I'de like to keep the work already done and add to it. I'll check into Open Office, or just be satisfied with a new install on 1 PC. Again thanks for the input, and direction.

Suspended
    OpenOffice should handle your Excel data. I say "should" because I think the spreadsheet component of OpenOffice is one of the newer bits, and on my version I found that one of the more sophisticated functions didn't work - probably not something you will need though. (It was Goal Seek, if you want to know.)

Also as PY said, the interface looks different from Microsoft Excel, but in my view that's a plus. I hate the way the latest version of Excel has tried to make it so that every single little thing is accessed from the top "ribbon", making that band at the top look like a cluttered mess. Why the sudden aversion to pull-down menus?

Open Office is awful.

Sorry.

It's fine for very basic stuff, but even for simple, personal spreadsheets and docs, etc. it fails. And it doesn't work with +90$ of the spreadsheets and docs I have created with M$-Office.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Open Office is awful.

Sorry.

It's fine for very basic stuff, but even for simple, personal spreadsheets and docs, etc. it fails. And it doesn't work with +90$ of the spreadsheets and docs I have created with M$-Office.
    I've had no problem with OpenOffice with any of my MS Office docs. I've never tried it with Access files but it has worked with word docs, excel spreadsheets and powerpoint presentations.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    windows 10 is coming out on a flash device
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Open Office works fine for me, but then I'm as basic a user as you can find The interface sorta sucks. But MS Office has a terrible interface as well.

Does the advice above apply to a computer as well, or just a computor?

regards,

The Spelling Gestapo
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Yeah, with Open Office, you get what you pay for. With MSOffice, you get less than what you pay for. I have one copy of the MS version (which is a royal turd) and use OO on the other computers. But, until OO is seamless, I'm stuck using lining Bill Gates' pockets. The comparable Apple apps seem to work fine on my kids' laptops and translate well. So, that might be an option for some.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Does the advice above apply to a computer as well, or just a computor?

regards,

The Spelling Gestapo
    In my experience it will also work with a 'puter.
    <sig out of order>