Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Camel-Mirage,Moonmadness or The Snow Goose?

Quote Originally Posted by KELLY WELSH View Post
    Good to see there's a lot of respect for the band.Made some decent music in there time,but one album i find particularly poor is A Single Factor. Really under-achieving imho.
    that was the only turd in their discography, but Sasquatch is a good piece
    I Can See... is only half bad
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by KELLY WELSH View Post
    Good to see there's a lot of respect for the band.Made some decent music in there time,but one album i find particularly poor is A Single Factor. Really under-achieving imho.
    Easily their weakest album, in my opinion, and I'd bet most would agree with me. The last four are much better, but the difference for me between early Camel and the last four, is that earlier Camel very much has a feel-good quality about it. Both happy and heartfelt at the same time. Later albums have more of a sadness about them, well 'D&D' and 'HoT' especially. 'A Nod & A Wink' sounds the closest to their first 4 to me, I think probably on purpose, given the theme of the album.

Mirage is not only Camel's best album, but it's one of the better albums of the classic era. Nothing else before or after by Camel was nearly as good.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    that was the only turd in their discography, but Sasquatch is a good piece
    I Can See... is only half bad
    ICSYHFH has grown on me. Probably all those late 70s/early 80s synths. A really good time for analog. Plus Kit Watkins. I don’t think the bad stuff on that album is particularly “bad,” just mediocre. Better than the “bad” stuff on Breathless, which was just MOR dross. What were they thinking, having “Remote Romance” be the single, though? Should have been “Your Love Is Stranger Than Mine,” much more radio-friendly. Even an edited version of “Wait” would have been better (though a single edit would have excised the brilliant synth duel).

I have to admit, apart from “Pressure Points,” Stationary Traveller doesn’t do a thing for me. And by that point, they were getting into bad synth technology (especially the drum machines).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I can't and won't choose. All three are holy Prog relics.

The Snow Goose is the best of the three in my book by a very wide margin. I think it's exceptional. The rest I could give or take.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-