Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asia 1st Remaster

Well, again, if you're of a certain age, this was your first exposure to this whole prog thing. No, Asia wasn't very prog, but given the little bit of hype about the musicians involved and the whole "supergroup" angle, it encouraged many of us to explore further and discover what this whole world was about.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Well, again, if you're of a certain age, this was your first exposure to this whole prog thing. No, Asia wasn't very prog, but given the little bit of hype about the musicians involved and the whole "supergroup" angle, it encouraged many of us to explore further and discover what this whole world was about.
    Just as there are fans of Classic Yes who were introduced to the band by 90125.
    Last edited by jrw; 07-28-2015 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Just as there are fans of Classic Yes who introduced to band by 90125.
    Like me who at 13 years old liked The Yes Album and Classic Yes as much as 90125. That's an impressionable age, and we were out in force....

I bought both Asia s/t 30th anniversary boxes from USA and Japan.
    Money not well spent if you ask me.
    Anyway.

The USA version is very disappointing with the old Geffen cd thown in and a bootleg video of a 1983 show on DVD.
    Then there's a 'bonus' rarities cd (5 acoustic versions played live on radio 2006-onwards) and a 7'' replica of Heat Of The Moment with the b-side Ride Easy taken from an official bootleg from 2006 reunion tour.

The Japan version is a little better. I bought the super-extra-premium-super-...-deluxe-edition which also includes 6 complete soundboard shows from the 2012 japanese tour, exclusively sold by a unique japanese dealer.
    To my knowledge, those shows are contractually connected to that release only.
    The remastered cd includes Ride Easy, but it's not the best remaster i have ever heard, and then there's the 1983 bootleg audience quality dvd.

Would i buy them again now? I don't think so.
    A suggestion: stick to your old '80s cd copy.

I was tempted to buy the U.S. version but my better judgement ultimately prevailed. I do think that Asia missed the mark on this release by not having a remastered CD only version that included Ride Easy.

The Enemy God
    The 1983 DVD is the main item of interest to me as so little footage from that line up , but there is some YT footage I think from 83 that has been circulating for a while , very distant filming from a balcony I think. Does anyone know if the DVD is that footage. Is it a full concert? The YT footage appears to be filmed in Montreal and is dated 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by gallen1964 View Post
    The 1983 DVD is the main item of interest to me as so little footage from that line up , but there is some YT footage I think from 83 that has been circulating for a while , very distant filming from a balcony I think. Does anyone know if the DVD is that footage. Is it a full concert? The YT footage appears to be filmed in Montreal and is dated 1983.
    Exactly the question I was going to ask...

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Exactly the question I was going to ask...
    It was on Youtube at one time, and as I recall, it was not the full concert, and the video quality was very poor.

While not the whole video, here is one of the songs-several of the songs from that show are on youtube-I can't find the whole release.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq9lhjw03zU

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    While not the whole video, here is one of the songs-several of the songs from that show are on youtube-I can't find the whole release.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq9lhjw03zU
    Looks like that may have been the same guy who filmed Rush there in 1983 and 1984.