Thread: The Eagles Member's Solo Albums

The Eagles Member's Solo Albums

I have a ticket to see The Eagles at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City this Friday night. I confess that I am a little excited about the concert. I have all of The Eagles CDs, Glenn Frey's CDs, and Don Henley's CDs, and some of Joe Walsh's CDs. However, I somehow have never explored their discography further than that. What is to be said of the other band member's solo albums? Best albums? Worst albums? Any stories to tell? Thanks in advance.

Library Jon

Randy Meisner's first three albums - from '78 through to '82 are a consistently good listen and Timothy B. Schmit's Expando from 2009 is outstanding (have very fond memories of his live show in Manchester!). In turns, funky, folky & rocky it just hits the spot. However, his earlier Timothy B. album, whilst not shite is seriously of its time. If my memory isn't defective, he wasn't overly involved in the songwriting just a mouthpiece for a set of generic pop songs. Haven't heard his others.

Don Felder's Airborne (1983) is a solid effort, slightly hampered by a thin production but the recent Road to Forever is surprisingly decent, helped by a plethora of guest stars like C.S.N. some of Toto & Tommy Shaw. Not reinventing the wheel just good songs well sung.

Expando, then, is essential. As good as (though very different to) Henley's Inside Job. The others are definitely worth a listen but don't shell out a fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post
    I have a ticket to see The Eagles at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City this Friday night. I confess that I am a little excited about the concert. I have all of The Eagles CDs, Glenn Frey's CDs, and Don Henley's CDs, and some of Joe Walsh's CDs. However, I somehow have never explored their discography further than that. What is to be said of the other band member's solo albums? Best albums? Worst albums? Any stories to tell? Thanks in advance.

Library Jon
    I assume this is still "The History Of The Eagles" tour? If so, I think you will really dig it. Saw it last fall and it was great.

outside Joe Walsh (who had the better of his career before joining The Eagles or before their break-up), I'm not that aware of the other member's solo career; except for Henley's early 80's stuff, which I totally hated (my brother played his first two albums all the time back then) .

You might want to look up the recent thread about Joe Walsh, though. It's got some valid pointers

All or most of the rest of their solo careers really don't excite my curiosity either, especially the 80's stuff and their album covers (calling them "artworks" can't possibly apply ) don't entice either
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I have always been a fan of the theme to the movie Heavy Metal by Don Felder, though it didn't appear on his solo album - this song rocks and has some great guitar work:

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I have always been a fan of the theme to the movie Heavy Metal by Don Felder, though it didn't appear on his solo album - this song rocks and has some great guitar work:
    He had another a great song in that movie called All Of You, which is the song that plays as Zeke and Edsel break out the plutonium nyborg after the robot runs off with Gloria and they leave Earth orbit (can you tell I've watched this stupid movie waaaaaay too many times?!).

Apart from that, I really only know the singles the respective band members put out. I remember Timothy B. Schmidt had a good song on his first solo record called Playing It Cool. I liked Johnny Can't Read by Henley better than any of the hits off his second solo record (and I'm sick of Boys Of Summer, even though it has some nice guitar licks from Mike Campbell, who was moonlighting away from Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers on that one). And I always kinda liked Walsh's Space Age Whiz Kids and Life Of Illusion. What was the name of the Walsh song that had the video where he demolishes a hotel room, apparently in an attempt to nail this fly that's buzzing around the room?

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    If you own and like Glen Frey's solo stuff, then you won't dislike any of the others' stuff.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Suspended
    The Eagles member that hasn't yet been mentioned is Bernie Leadon, who I think did do some solo albums but was chiefly a session musician. If you want to hear how he sounded before being part of the Eagles, check out the 1971 album "Since There Were Circles" by Bob Lind. Leadon was a member of the band Dillard and Clark; those two also guested on the album. Leadon supplies some lead guitar. His surname, incidentally, is pronounced as "leaden" rather than "leadin'".

Lind once claimed that in the recording sessions for that album, "Bernie was only one who wasn't drunk".
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 07-17-2015 at 03:09 PM.

Timothy B Schmit has several solo albums....the first two from the 80s are decent -- well, "hit-n-miss' really -- yet a little non-descript and are the only ones i am familiar with but I mention him because the guy is really a fantastic vocalist (IMHO, he was the best vocalist in The Eagles)...I havent heard the album he put out a few years ago but I heard it was very good (EDIT: Just read Theferrets post above --- good! I need to get it)

I really hope you enjoy Expando, Klothos. Always a worry when someone shell's out their hard earned cash on you're say so! It is gorgeous though!

Bernie Leadon made a pretty good album with one Michael Georgiades back in the day. It's acoustic & noodly but quite good fun. I haven't heard the comic stuff he did with Run C & W. Itchy Twitchy Spot sounds supremely silly.

Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    I really hope you enjoy Expando, Klothos. Always a worry when someone shell's out their hard earned cash on you're say so! It is gorgeous though!
    Ive been reading reviews of it since this posting --- every review I have read concurs with you

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Not exactly a solo venture, but the band Poco briefly contained Randy Meisner ('68-'69), and later had a long run (punnily enough) with Timothy B. Schmit ('70-'77). Poco was one of the greatest country rock bands of all time. Schmit replaced Meisner in both Poco and Eagles.

Frey, Henley, Meisner and Leadon all played in Linda Ronstadt's band in 1971.
    Last edited by spellbound; 07-17-2015 at 08:57 PM.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

^^^^

small world in country circles as well, uh??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Suspended
    Poco and the Eagles were so similar, in every way, that I sometimes found it hard to distinguish them. Especially since there seemed to be this continued incestuous swapping back and forth of respective band members.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Poco and the Eagles were so similar, in every way, that I sometimes found it hard to distinguish them. Especially since there seemed to be this continued incestuous swapping back and forth of respective band members.
    the Savoy Brown/Chicken Shack case of country... or the Soft machine and Nucleus syndrome, uh??

Thanks for the advice so far. I just ordered a copy of Timothy B Schmit's recent solo album called "Expando" on Amazon Marketplace for about $7 new. I will post my thoughts on the album once I receive it and listen to it a few times.

Library Jon

One that I have that I kind of forgot about is Glen Frey’s live album from 1993. It is actually quite good. He does a mix of solo and Eagles material and has a great band with him. If I remember correctly it was recorded in Dublin Ireland.