Thread: Celtic Frost- Into the pandemonium

Celtic Frost- Into the pandemonium

It's been a discovering albums that I missed at the time kind of day for me. Firstly the second two Mr Bungle albums blew my socks off (If Brian Wilson, Zappa and Jello Biafra collaborated on an album, it might sound like "Caliafornia") and lastly this one.

From 1987, what I always took to be a thrash metal album from the reputation of the band, possibly with very dubious political overtones... but actually it's a masterpiece.

Strange range of songs, starting with a Stan Ridgeway (!) cover and then expanding out into songs that sound like funky Black Sabbath or Bad Brains even with a metally Jonathan Richman/Lou Reed type singing, and then there's female vocal counterpoints ranging from soul to opera. A couple of tracks sound like Tackhead or On-U Sound System and there's Baudelaire recited by a woman to a string section! It's completly nuts, surprisingly melodic and restlessly experimental, but really listenable. I remember some of the proper metal fans at school had this when it came out, I wonder what they made of it. I certainly should have paid more attention.

Anyone got this? What do you think and what else should I check out by them?

I'm just really chuffed that I've heard 3 truly great albums for the first time today!

Paul

Odd you should mention Celtic Frost, they missed my radar back in the day too, but I have been working through them.

Bought this when it came out and loved it.
    Very much of its time, and in retrospect, for me at least, a little patchy although absolutely worth it for Rex Irae (Requiem), Inner Sanctum and Mesmerised.
    These days I find myself listening to the previous album To Mega Therion more but back in the day The Frost were a favourite.

To Mega Therion is a great one. I also like the last album they did, Monotheist.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Bought this when it came out and loved it.
    Very much of its time, and in retrospect, for me at least, a little patchy [...] back in the day The Frost were a favourite.
    Completely agree. Unlike Voivod, the Celtics have not really endured the times that well. They're not altogether laughable like Venom (who were quite amusing even back then), and neither unwillingly tedious like Kreator and the likes, but their most "experimental" material still hasn't aged too well.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM