Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 74-78 The forgotten genre...

74-78 The forgotten genre...

...the post-prog, post-glam, disco and pre-punk counterbalance, pre-new wave sound that was the melodic rootsy r & b of British pub rock.

Eggs Over Easy (the US band that brought pub rock to London)
    Ace
    Dr. Feelgood
    Brinkley Schwarz/ Lowe
    The 101'ers
    Eddie and the Hot Rods
    Chilly Willi and the Red Hot Peppers
    Ducks Deluxe
    Kilburn and The High Roads/ Ian Dury
    Bees Make Honey
    Rockpile/ Lowe/ Edmunds
    Graham Parker/ The Rumour
    Kursaal Flyers
    Elvis Costello

Love GP & the R, some great songs and he's quite the wordsmith

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Listening to Ace's Five a Side and GP's Squeezing Out Sparks inspired the thread.

Suspended
    The main things I recall about that era that for me defined the era were Queen, 10cc, ABBA, the Bee Gees and Kiss.

I guess Australia had its own "pub rock" scene at that time, though that really had its golden age in the 80's with bands like Cold Chisel, Midnight Oil, Australian Crawl and Flowers/Icehouse. Chisel started in 1978, so you could probably say they kicked things off.

Of course there was Kraftwerk, whose influence was probably out of all proportion to the number of records they sold.

Either don't really like or know any of the artists mentioned. For 74-78, I enjoyed pretty much the entire world of prog stuff, and to a lesser degree, artists like Quicksilver Messenger Service, Fleetwood Mac, CSN&Y, etc...

Thanks Bob and Bill your posts confirm what I know, that pub rock was very shortlived, not at all widespread at the time and is a forgotten genre.

Looking at the list, even though I was around at the time, many of those artists I've never even heard of, and who knows there may be something in there I would enjoy, though I wasn't a big fan of Rockpile or Elvis Costello, the latter of whom I, perhaps unfairly and inaccurately, always viewed as pretentious. Although what I've heard of him, I wouldn't have thought of as 'pub rock' (a subgenre that is new to me), but admittedly there is a lot of his music I haven't heard.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Thanks Bob and Bill your posts confirm what I know, that pub rock was very shortlived, not at all widespread at the time and is a forgotten genre.
    Yes and no. I'd say a lot of the artists on that scene did not get well known outside of UK. There are exceptions of course - Ian Dury and Elvis Costello are still pretty well remembered, and for my money I prefer Elvis Costello to that other Elvis.

I could probably dredge up (if I could be bothered) a list of Aussie pub bands who were "huge" from a local perspective but most of whom you would never heard of. I'm sure American PE members could do something similar.

Eddie & the Hot Rods-Life on the Line is a stone cold classic. Big fan of Dr.Feelgood and Ducks Deluxe but not so much the others on the list! I think The Saints & The Tom Robinson Band where superior.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Either don't really like or know any of the artists mentioned.
    Can't say I appreciated most of the bands in Peter's list... except for the fantastic Dr Feelggod. Their first five albums were really good, though sitting through a full album was rather tiring

mmmmhhhh!!!...

there are a few bands that were known (GP&R, Rockpile, Feelgood), but wouldn't Be Bop Deluxe also fill the pub-rock genre?

...the post-prog, post-glam, disco and pre-punk counterbalance, pre-new wave sound that was the melodic rootsy r & b of British pub rock.
    Somehow, I always viewed pub rock as the link between glam (without the glitter) and punk (without the rebellion)

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Yes and no. I'd say a lot of the artists on that scene did not get well known outside of UK. There are exceptions of course - Ian Dury and Elvis Costello are still pretty well remembered, and for my money I prefer Elvis Costello to that other Elvis.
    Feelgood is still a good live attraction in continental europe in bluesy festivals, despite not having a single original member for over 20 years
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Can't say I appreciated most of the bands in Peter's list... except for the fantastic Dr Feelgodd.

wouldn't Be Bop Deluxe also fill the pub-rock genre?

Feelgood is still a good live attraction in continental europe in bluesy festivals, despite not having a single original member for over 20 years
    Haven't heard Dr. Feelgood, will have to check out some, but I did like Bebop Deluxe. Although neither glam nor punk was ever my thing, I always appreciate when something is done well no matter the genre, and Bebop Deluxe was music done well.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Steve Gibbons Band could be argued as belonging on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    As could The Motors, The Kursaal Flyers.and Split Endz!

Agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    As could The Motors, The Kursaal Flyers
    The Motors came later, first album in 77, post-punk, formed by two members of Ducks Deluxe when they split, and the Kursaal Flyers are on my list....doh :-)
    Last edited by PeterG; 07-14-2015 at 07:03 PM.

, though I wasn't a big fan of Rockpile or Elvis Costello, the latter of whom I, perhaps unfairly and inaccurately, always viewed as pretentious. Although what I've heard of him, I wouldn't have thought of as 'pub rock' (a subgenre that is new to me), but admittedly there is a lot of his music I haven't heard.
    Elvis Costello was marketed as New Wave here in the US, and Rockpile were a Rock-n-Roll revivalist band.

Weren't Doctors Of Madness, Jackie Lynton and John Miles all considered Pub Rock?

I’d throw the Movies and Omaha Sheriff in there, too.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Weren't Doctors Of Madness, Jackie Lynton and John Miles all considered Pub Rock?
    Hardly. Well, I can’t comment on Jackie Lynton, not having heard of him before. But Doctors of Madness had elements of glam and prog, and arrived at a sort of “proto-post-punk” sound (the early Ultravox albums would be unthinkable without their pioneering efforts). And John Miles...I don’t know, pomp-rock? Prog-pop?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Haven't heard Dr. Feelgood, will have to check out some, but I did like Bebop Deluxe. Although neither glam nor punk was ever my thing, I always appreciate when something is done well no matter the genre, and Bebop Deluxe was music done well.
    Feelgood was tremendous because of Wilko Johnson's manic and frenetic guitar works; in some ways, he's from the Bo Diddley school, but also so much more than that. He left all too early (too form Sold Senders, which failed after the first album), then got lost after a stint in The Blockheads in the early 80's) somewhere between solo and other groups. He was replaced withh John Mayo (no shit) but he could never fill Wilko's shoes, and the other attraction was snarky vocalist Lee Brilleux (left in the mid-90's), but clearly, they needed Wilko. Feelgood never stopped (I think). The current band is (at least sonically) still doing justice to the band's repertoire... most of them have been there since the 80's & 90's. If they ever come by your place, it's definitely worth a small detour, if you like their stuff.

Now as for their discography, their first two (Down By The Jetty and Malpractice) are quite good, but they hit perfection with Sneaking Suspicions with that brilliant tattoed-buttcheek back cover artwork. Their songs were nuthin'fancy but contagiously fun (like The Ramones were, but Feelggod was more gifted players), averaging around 3 minutes (six or seven aside). their next two albums (Be Seeing You & Private Practice) still have their moments, but the momentum was going away quickly. Their live album Stupidity is also well worth a peek.

and Split Endz!
    Enz was a Kiwi band (not Brutish), and their first three are more like Art Rock (or prog if you wish) to my ears
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

John Miles and Spit Endz were far too "experimental" for pub rock.

As could The Motors, The Kursaal Flyers.and Split Endz!
    John Miles and Spit Endz were far too "experimental" for pub rock.
    Enz, please

Feelgood was tremendous because of Wilko Johnson's manic and frenetic guitar works; in some ways, he's from the Bo Diddley school, but also so much more than that. He left all too early (too form Sold Senders, which failed after the first album), then got lost after a stint in The Blockheads in the early 80's) somewhere between solo and other groups. He was replaced withh John Mayo (no shit) but he could never fill Wilko's shoes, and the other attraction was snarky vocalist Lee Brilleux (left in the mid-90's), but clearly, they needed Wilko. Feelgood never stopped (I think). The current band is (at least sonically) still doing justice to the band's repertoire... most of them have been there since the 80's & 90's. If they ever come by your place, it's definitely worth a small detour, if you like their stuff.

Now as for their discography, their first two (Down By The Jetty and Malpractice) are quite good, but they hit perfection with Sneaking Suspicions with that brilliant tattoed-buttcheek back cover artwork. Their songs were nuthin'fancy but contagiously fun (like The Ramones were, but Feelggod was more gifted players), averaging around 3 minutes (six or seven aside). their next two albums (Be Seeing You & Private Practice) still have their moments, but the momentum was going away quickly. Their live album Stupidity is also well worth a peek.
    Great summary of a great band, I saw Dr Feelgood so many times as they were local to me growing up. Wilko has been through the wars in the past few years, he was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer (hugely aggressive form of this vile disease, which took my dad form me in under 3 months earlier this year). Given a year to live Wilko decline chemo and went on the road. A surgeon/fan approached him and said he could help him, and after major major surgery, he is back on the road and apparently cancer free.

He has a kick ass band with Dylan Howe on drums and Norman Watt-Roy on bass. Well worth seeing if they come your way.

Lee Brilleaux was such a charismatic front man, a true legend of the times. Anybody who has an interest in them must watch the movie Oil City Confidential, it's the story of Dr Feelgood and is quite wonderful, you will not be disappointed.

Eggs Over Easy (the US band that brought pub rock to London)
    Ace
    Dr. Feelgood
    Brinkley Schwarz/ Lowe
    The 101'ers
    Eddie and the Hot Rods
    Chilly Willi and the Red Hot Peppers
    Ducks Deluxe
    Kilburn and The High Roads/ Ian Dury
    Bees Make Honey
    Rockpile/ Lowe/ Edmunds
    Graham Parker/ The Rumour
    Kursaal Flyers
    Elvis Costello

I love so much of the music of this era, and you are right the genre does get overlooked on the whole. I feel is was such a microcosm of activity though, centred on the London / Essex axis, and whilst it was the precursor of UK punk, and therefore an important stepping stone, it's lack of worldwide appeal is a factor in it's marginalisation.

Obviously people like Elvis Costello and Ian Dury went on to wider appeal, but they were definitely cut from this scenes cloth.

Enz, please
    Sordy

Sad Cafe?

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

76-77 the nearest musical pub was in N End Rd, saw PLUMMET AIRLINES and MEAL TICKET (anyone heard Code of the Road)