Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving Gelatine Plates

chalkpie

Moving Gelatine Plates

Is there really no thread for this band? OK, this one is for Brit-Ian

I did 'Genius Hans' this morning in the car driving the kids to camps. Aside from the wonderful Canterburian flavor, great riffs, melodies, etc , one the greatest things to me that really stuck out is the overall vibe this recording exudes. Just listen to those drums - good god! This is just about a 180-degree turn when you listen to modern recordings with "perfect" drum tracks in pristine sound...on paper this stuff should be inferior in terms of the advent of recording technology. Yet with all of its so-called "imperfections" of colored analog tape, most likely haphazard mic placement, etc the vibe is just beautiful. Its like looking at a 600-year old sculpture and not only being able to feel all of the little bumps and grooves on the surface, but also being able to *smell* the thing. Now, am I condoning you going up to sculptures in a museum and actually smelling them? The answer is yes.

It is really this aspect of modern recordings that I miss. Not that modern day stuff can't sound amazing (because of course it can), to me it seems like getting this type of sound on records is somewhat of a lost art these days. Do I like the drums? No, they're terrible.

I guess I need to revisit the first s/t recording as well. I have never hears the 'Moving' albums, although maybe I have as bonus tracks on Hans?

PS - there are vocals on the title track that remind me of the vocals on Cervello 'Melos' - a sort of weirdish, hazy floating quality, like 5 or 6 guys in neon orange business suits are about to jump on your back and do some dirty business with plastic utensils. Or not.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    It's like looking at a 600-year old sculpture and not only being able to feel all of the little bumps and grooves on the surface, but also being able to *smell* the thing. Now, am I condoning you going up to sculptures in a museum and actually smelling them? The answer is yes.

I haven't listened to this in ages. Thanks for the impetus to do so!

Not much to add. Just popped in to say I love them.

Great band. Need to play it again. Thanks! Thoughts on the debut, anyone?

I just bought the first two CDs. It's going to take a while to absorb this music. I'm gonna stick to listening to the first one for now. Hans is a bit too busy and frenetic. At least the first half is.

The debut sometimes gets neglected, but for me it's every bit as Genius as "Hans" (pun intended!).

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I slightly prefer Hans over the debut but it's marginal. Both are great records, its the vibe I love, it just has a feel that never fails to make me smile. I have no idea what they are singing about but the melody of the vocals perfectly match the music.

Cheers Frankie!
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Both are tremendous albums but the extra few curveballs thrown in on 'Hans' makes it my favorite of the two.

Amazing band and I prefer the debut.
    Apparently two of their biggest influences were Zappa and Soft Machine.
    In the liner notes it mentions that Didier Thibault was approached by Magma in 1973 about the possibility of being the replacement for Francis Moze who had just left but he declined the offer, and I quote "... wary of Magma's austere reputation". He also almost joined Gong but wasn't keen on moving to England where they were recording the Angel Egg album.
    Gilbert Artman(Lard Free) helped them out a lot early on.
    By the way if Lard Free hasn't had it's own thread yet it's way overdue.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Love, love Genius Hans.

That things got layers....,and one of my Gnosis 15's!

I remember being underwhelmed by the first one, but I need to revisit..
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Genius Hans was sorta 'avant-progressive' before the term was even thought of - or indeed needed, as "progressive" was still sufficient.

I like the first one also, although there are a couple of parts where the somewhat out-of-tune instrumentation gets a bit on my nerves. What I generally love about MGP is their ability to incorporate the "free rock" spirit of that anarchic French early underground sound (think Ame Son, Coeur Magique, Nyl, Triangle, Sarcofagus etc.) into a highly elaborate musical environment. They were as playful and crazy as Supersister, Brainstorm, Kandahar or Recreation, but way nastier - like the Bonzos teamed with The Mothers and the Softs all together.

The Moving album (from 1980) is actually quite good, yet different. It sits well next to some of those peculiarly French artifacts from around that point (Dün, Vortex, Potemkine, Mosaïc, Zed and so on).
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I have never heard the debut but Genius Hans is quite... entertaining.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

No one mentioned yet that MGP are in Romantic Warriors III - Canterbury Tales and even in this teaser:

chalkpie
    I figured the weirdos would come out of the woodwork and give this thing some love - it is truly deserving

Reidster - I'm curious as to why you think 'Hans' is overly busy/frenetic? Not that it isn't, but that is definitely something I didn't notice this time around. Maybe there are numerous sections that change on a frequent basis perhaps?

And agreed with the overall vibe folks have been mentioning - with the great vintage analog gear and horns, it is just a warm and inviting album - this thing does feel right. Scrotum - I noticed a few parts even on 'Hans' where the guitar comping is a little out-of-tune, but honestly it made me smile and gave it some human "charm". Obviously, I'm sure these cats were going for a precise and dedicated performance, but I think the overall feel and vibe was equally as important, and maybe that aspect was more important to them over displaying a "Roxy/Elsewhere" tightness.

I'm gonna have to visit Eiliff and Supersister soon, as I recall they are in a similar wheelhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Genius Hans was sorta 'avant-progressive' before the term was even thought of - or indeed needed, as "progressive" was still sufficient.

I like the first one also, although there are a couple of parts where the somewhat out-of-tune instrumentation gets a bit on my nerves. What I generally love about MGP is their ability to incorporate the "free rock" spirit of that anarchic French early underground sound (think Ame Son, Coeur Magique, Nyl, Triangle, Sarcofagus etc.) into a highly elaborate musical environment. They were as playful and crazy as Supersister, Brainstorm, Kandahar or Recreation, but way nastier - like the Bonzos teamed with The Mothers and the Softs all together.

The Moving album (from 1980) is actually quite good, yet different. It sits well next to some of those peculiarly French artifacts from around that point (Dün, Vortex, Potemkine, Mosaïc, Zed and so on).
    I like that "Moving" album a lot. Thibault really has never compromised MGP's sound in my opinion. I've even heard the ReMoving album from 2006(I think) is really good. Never heard it though.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Eiliff
    Another great one, as are Lagger Blues Machine and Pazop (both from Belgium, along with the more moderate Kandahar and the wackjobs Recreation). Another very interesting French take on the Canterbury vision was Travelling, although they didn't have the overt 'zany' approach to them. Yet more German parallells might be Nine Days Wonder (1st. album), Thirsty Moon (first two) and Cornucopia. None of those were really on par with MGP, though...
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'll chime in with another one called Shampoo. Far from MGP complexity-wise, but I always had a soft spot for their "Volume 1" LP. They definitely had this irresistible easy-going Canterbury flair to them, with quite a few solid jazzy (proto)-prog tunes. The pre-Shampoo album under the Mad Curry moniker was also excellent, though more psych-tinged. Add those two records to the albums mentioned by Richard (Pazop, LBM, Kandahar, Recreation), and you have the Belgian 1970s scene pretty much covered. OK, maybe Arkham's archival CD on Cuneiform shouldn't be missed either - it was pre-UZ after all. But I always thought they were a bit of a poor man's Recreation at that stage so YMMV.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    I'll chime in with another one called Shampoo.
    Yes - good call on that, and Mad Curry.

I’m a big fan of both of the original MGP albums for CBS, though Genius Hans is probably (slightly) my preferred of the two. They really had a radical approach to jazz-rock.

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    I like that "Moving" album a lot. Thibault really has never compromised MGP's sound in my opinion. I've even heard the ReMoving album from 2006(I think) is really good. Never heard it though.
    The Moving album (appearing as bonus tracks split between the two MGP CD reissues on Muséa) ought not to be ignored. It’s probably not as mindblowing as the original MGP releases but they do a fine job of period-sounding avant-ish jazz fusion, with a lighter touch at times that reminds me of Happy the Man. I find it a quite satisfying release.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Reidster - I'm curious as to why you think 'Hans' is overly busy/frenetic? Not that it isn't, but that is definitely something I didn't notice this time around. Maybe there are numerous sections that change on a frequent basis perhaps?
    Perhaps my feeble old brain couldn't process all the musical ideas going on? Must be due to the fact that I just got over a three month 50s/early 60s jazz binge. I'll keep listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    Add those two records to the albums mentioned by Richard (Pazop, LBM, Kandahar, Recreation), and you have the Belgian 1970s scene pretty much covered. OK, maybe Arkham's archival CD on Cuneiform shouldn't be missed either - it was pre-UZ after all.
    That sole album from Abraxis needs to be mentioned here as well. Members from Pazop, Placebo, Cos and Waterloo (I believe?).

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    It is indeed quite excellent, especially considering the gap in recorded material. Not many bands can put out something as good after so many years apart. It's way ahead of any of the recent reformed VDGG output for example IMO, most of which leaves me cold. Happy Family's recent release, Minimal Gods on the other hand, is a great album.

Quote Originally Posted by Barniac View Post
    It's way ahead of any of the recent reformed VDGG output for example IMO, most of which leaves me cold. Happy Family's recent release, Minimal Gods on the other hand, is a great album.
    Minimal Gods is awesome, but I have to say that VdGG's A Grounding in Numbers was a very, very good album. Samla made an excellent comeback record with their Kaka back in the day, Trettioåriga Kriget are going strong, Tantra from Portugal were fairly fine on reform, even Haikara and Tasavallan (Finland) have released decent "new" works.

But yeah, that Moving is pretty OK!

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Perhaps my feeble old brain couldn't process all the musical ideas going on? Must be due to the fact that I just got over a three month 50s/early 60s jazz binge. I'll keep listening.
    Ha - maybe! Head...blowing....blowing....head. Next......

Nice man. Its been way too long for me, but I'm due for that myself. I just hope you hit some Evans, Monk, Mingus, Brownie, Morgan, Trane, and Miles of course. Gun to my head: 'Sunday at the Village Vanguard' is my favorite jazz album. I know that sucker without actually playing it, even alternative versions. Its forever imbedded in my feeble olde meatball. LaFaro was a diety, well so was Bill (and Paul).

Hans = WIN. First album is very good but not on the level of the 2nd. Even the latest album they put out is very old school and pretty damn good too... Removing