Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Bent Knee - best band from the US in a long while?

I botched seeing them last year in Austin - I get my second chance this month. Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    ^Wow - that was definitely the most impressive and enjoyable piece that I have ever heard by this band, and the length not really swaying my decision. That is quite an achievement - that piece involves a lot of musicians and it was tight as hell. Really great development as well - just a super well thought-out composition. Bravo to the 'Knee!
    You need to see them live, the one and only chance i had to see them was at Progday not having ever heard a note prior, they completely fucked up my shit. If you get the opportunity take it!

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    You need to see them live, the one and only chance i had to see them was at Progday not having ever heard a note prior, they completely fucked up my shit. If you get the opportunity take it!
    Agree, definitely a band that needs to be experience live.

Now we are a parrot trio, Rich & Steve.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Well, ugh, you know ...
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I should add to my comment - their albums are fantastic as well.

seeing them live again with Bubblemath in Minneapolis in July.

I'll be seeing them for the 6th time on July 12th here in Madcity at a brand new music venue/art gallery I've never been to. Courtney S. tells me that they were told it's killer, so we'll see.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    I should add to my comment - their albums are fantastic as well.
    They still have yet to make an album that I think is great from start to finish IMO. I love parts of all of their albums, but there are also songs that I don't particularly care for on them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    They still have yet to make an album that I think is great from start to finish IMO. I love parts of all of their albums, but there are also songs that I don't particularly care for on them as well.
    I think that they already did their perfect album with Say So.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    On YouTube, here is Paper Earth, their 30-minute epic for rock band and percussion ensemble:

This is fantastic. Really makes me hope they continue to experiment with long-form composition. I love the last two parts of this piece especially.

I've just missed seeing these guys live twice now, and I've been following them since Shiny Eyed Babies. It'll happen eventually!

I've tried to like them but no, not for me.

Paper Earth is nice. Too bad the logistics of a band that size limit the number of live performances in that configuration.
    Can't see them in Baltimore tomorrow, so, maybe later.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Paper Earth is nice. Too bad the logistics of a band that size limit the number of live performances in that configuration.
    Can't see them in Baltimore tomorrow, so, maybe later.
    It's probably playable by just the six of them. It wouldn't sound as amazing, but I think they could get most of the parts - possibly with Vince triggering samples, possibly just playing it all live and apportioning out the percussion lines between them. Remember, they all tend to underplay, to put in just a fraction of the notes they could put in and still have the music work. Courtney and Chris, for example, could be all over the piano and violin, but they aren't - mostly they play simple lines, but their considerable musicianship goes toward playing those perfectly. But I think they could get almost every note in that piece, and they still wouldn't even be playing as many as the guys in, say, Bubblemath.

Just saw these guys in L.A. last night with Robbie Fitzsimmons and the Gatherers. Awesome show!!! Robbie Fitzsimmons was great, the Gatherers were loud and Bent Knee was amazing! The only way I knew of this band was through this forum so thanks to all for bringing them to my attention. Time to pick up some CD's

Saw them last night at the Bootleg in LA. Great show, was a bit disappointed that the “Paper Earth Tour” did not actually include the playing of Paper Earth. Nevertheless, an excellent show. See them if you can.

Just saw them last night, mind is still blown, i love these guys! It seemed they may have had a little bit of an abbreviated set due to drummer Gavin being put on the disabled list from an injury, however Gatherers drummer Adam Cichocki has stepped up to fill in. Fear not, Adam does a masterful job and their show goes on without a hitch. The crowd was on the smaller side but they were mighty, i think every person in attendance lined up at the merch table to buy something, it was the largest line i had ever seen in a small club. I think these guys are going places!

Saw them in Portland a few weeks back. The one thing I will say about the band (now that I have seen them 3 times) is their live performance is so much better than their recorded "albums." Don't get me wrong, I still think the albums are great, but the live versions of these songs really take the songs to the next level.they are much more passionate, raw (in a good way) and loose. I hope they decide to record a live album (not like 2014's stripped down live album) soon.

BTW---really disliked the Gatherers (sorry...they were way too loud for the venue and the whole screaming thing is, well, I will simply leave it as not my thing).
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Zonefish View Post
    Saw them in Portland a few weeks back. The one thing I will say about the band (now that I have seen them 3 times) is their live performance is so much better than their recorded "albums." Don't get me wrong, I still think the albums are great, but the live versions of these songs really take the songs to the next level.they are much more passionate, raw (in a good way) and loose. I hope they decide to record a live album (not like 2014's stripped down live album) soon.

BTW---really disliked the Gatherers (sorry...they were way too loud for the venue and the whole screaming thing is, well, I will simply leave it as not my thing).
    Agreed on all of it.

As for the Gatherers, I'm with you in that they didn't seem like much, but they're just the sort of band that might be really popular in their home city - where shortness on originality wouldn't be an issue - and have a respectable fanbase back in Boston. And it also wouldn't surprise me if they were personally really good people, and that lending their drummer wasn't the first time they'd helped Bent Knee out.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 07-09-2018 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonefish View Post
    I hope they decide to record a live album (not like 2014's stripped down live album) soon.
    They have two others that you can buy.

Live At The Space: https://gumroad.com/l/bkspace

Live At Davis Square Theatre: https://gumroad.com/l/bkdst

bump.

just saw them with Bubblemath last week. Great show!

I wrote a review (many new songs, new album coming, etc):
    http://allmediareviews.blogspot.com/...ers-71018.html

Also they just shared a live performance of the complete Land Animal!

That girl has a set of pipes!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Saw them tonight in Boston at The Sinclair, the biggest venue I've seen them at in the area. Sound quality was superb and they tore it up. Really excellent gig.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Awesome band. Everyone contributes brilliantly. While Courtney is sublime, their secret weapon is the drummer Gavin...

I have seen the band on three different occaisions, from the small club to the 'larger' theatre' (RoSFest). They are truly amazing, and best experienced in the live setting. Their sound is certainly a wow for me. I think what makes them so great is the whole is better than the sum of the parts. What I mean by that, is each of them are amazing and creative musicians in their own right (check out some of their solo work: Ben Levin Group, Justice Cow, Courtney's solo material, and Mr Gavin's Meat Farm). While I won't say they hold back, they understand it is the song that is paramount. They add just the right embellishments to serve the song, not so much to showcase their individual talents. They deserve all the praise and attention they are getting, and I really think they are just going to grow in their creativity and their popularity. The future of prog is in some very capable hands.