Thread: Black Bonzo revisited...,

Black Bonzo revisited...,

Driving around yesterday, the song Where the river meets the sea, came up on my shuffling Ipod.

It was fantastic, so I played the whole first album Lady of the Light ( 2004) , reminding me how truly wonderful this Swedish band were.

Really great retro proto/hard rock that actually supersedes many of its obvious influences.

A virtuosic Uriah Heep comes to mind first, along with Deep Purple, Rainbow, Led Zep, Jethro Tull, Quatermas, Camel, Angel and the Beatles.

Today I'm spinning their sophmore release- Sound of the Apocalypse.

Any fans?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

BIG fan of those first two albums. Their Rosfest performance really blew me away, one of my favorite Rosfest performances ever. What a monster band, with hook-filled epic prog songs. Wish they were still together and releasing this kind of quality material.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    A virtuosic Uriah Heep comes to mind first, along with Deep Purple, Rainbow, Led Zep, Jethro Tull, Quatermas, Camel, Angel and the Beatles.
    You forgot flashes of Queen and King Crimson.

I simply adore Lady of the Light - retro in the best possible way. For whatever reason, the follow-up failed to grab me with the same intensity. However, few albums do.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I have all 3 of their albums (3rd one not as good as 1 & 2), and like Scott, they blew me away at Rosfest, which was amazing since the previous day they had a lot of equipment stolen in Pittsburgh, so they didn't have all, only some, of their analog stuff. They were pretty inspirational to me that day because of their incredible positivity. A collection was taken up to help them that raised close to $1,000 for the band. Also had the pleasure of talking & ing with a few of BB.

An interesting trivia fact about BB for anyone who's not already aware: BB comes from Skelleftea, a northern Swedish town of about 30-40,000 people. Their classmates and musical pals growing up, and they all are friends to this day, were the members of Moon Safari. Sure didn't make them sound alike.
    Last edited by progeezer; 07-06-2015 at 10:53 PM.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

The core of the band still exists as Gin Lady but its not nearly as inspired.

Loved BB. Gin Lady...not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I have all 3 of their albums (3rd one not as good as 1 & 2), and like Scott, they blew me away at Rosfest, which was amazing since the previous day they had a lot of equipment stolen in Pittsburgh, so they didn't have all, only some, of their analog stuff. They were pretty inspirational to me that day because of their incredible positivity. A collection was taken up to help them that raised close to $1,000 for the band. Also had the pleasure of talking & ing with a few of BB.

An interesting trivia fact about BB for anyone who's not already aware: BB comes from Skelleftea, a northern Swedish town of about 30-40,000 people. Their classmates and musical pals growing up, and they all are friends to this day, were the members of Moon Safari. Sure didn't make them sound alike.
    That is really cool. I had a hazy recollection that there was a connection to Moon Safari, but didn't know the extent.

Loved their second album and still spin it to this day even after first hearing it in 2007 (seems so long ago now).

Love Sound of the Apocalypse, like Lady of the Light, didn't care for their third. I agree with your group comparisons, they sound like Uriah Heep with some tinges of Jethro Tull thrown in.

Anthon Johansson, who was the original guitarist for Moon Safari, ended up leaving them after their first album, A Doorway to Summer, and joining Black Bonzo.

They come up in my "retro" playlist now and again. Love them ! Like others have said, I did not care for any material after the first two.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I liked these guys a lot. Yeah 'Guillotine Drama' was more straight-forward hard rock but it still had some really cool songs. Saw them on that tour in London in front a very small crowd, really good gig.

I do enjoy Gin Lady as well, but I guess their sound is just not that distinctive.

couldn't agree more! Their first 2 albums were really strong and these discs return to my CD player and ipod often. Lady of the Lake is early Crimson meets Uriah Heep. In Sounds of the Apocolypse they developed more of their own unique sound but still doses of Uriah Heep / Deep Purple and some early Crim. Gotta say Magnus has one of the best voices out there IMO. Although I "like" Gin Lady, its too straightforward retro rock 'n roll to hold my interest for too long. Great party music though.

I would love a return to a more progressive sound from these guys.

Magnus does have a great voice!

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I assume this impression is based on talking to them after their set? On stage they actually still seemed a bit bitter about the theft (one could hardly blame them) and an angry comment was made about the shitty American drumsticks they were using or something to that effect. I don't blame them, but I didn't get a positive vibe. Perhaps that came later after the collection was taken up. Or I misunderstood their gallows humor? I don't think I was the only one...

Only have the first two albums and really like both of 'em.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I assume this impression is based on talking to them after their set? On stage they actually still seemed a bit bitter about the theft (one could hardly blame them) and an angry comment was made about the shitty American drumsticks they were using or something to that effect. I don't blame them, but I didn't get a positive vibe. Perhaps that came later after the collection was taken up. Or I misunderstood their gallows humor? I don't think I was the only one...

Only have the first two albums and really like both of 'em.
    I wouldn't argue with your point at all. They were indeed very relieved & surprised at the generosity of the attendees, and Magnus mentioned to a few of us that the collection changed their whole perspective of the success of their 1st visit to the vast wasteland (my words, not his).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

I need to post this comment in the thread: "Bands I need to bone-up on"...I know very little about them, and the 1 or 2 tunes I DID hear I really liked...must rectify this soon.

From Sweden via South Korea to Hot 'Lanta with love.

I'm not sure why, but Black Bonzo really didn't catch my interest when I say them at RosFest. There was nothing wrong with their performance, I guess I just didn't get it.

About 2 years ago, their Brave Young Soldier popped up on my Pandora prog station and I realized what I missed. While I enjoy all of Lady of the Light, Brave Young Soldier is by far my favorite.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    "Brave Young Soldier" has that great Crimson-circa-1974 intro! That whole album has this firm Uriah Heep base, but instead of the classic Heep idiosyncrasies, or pitfalls, put in their place are all of these other quotes/homages from other classic bands. The thing is, it works so well!

Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I think These are days of sorrow from the first album may be my fave.

The restrained Hammond solo starting at 2:32 gives me chills everytime.

I love and miss Black Bonzo very much!! I will never get sick of hearing Lady Of The Light.
    Don Cassidy
    President, Interviewer, DJ, Artist Promo contact
    Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio
    www.deliciousagony.com