Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FEATURED CD - Deus Ex Machina : De Republica

Didn't the band offer up several of their albums for free download a few years ago? Pretty sure a link was posted here on PE. Not that they'd still be available now.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by jeffo621 View Post
    Yes they did!
    I guess I should've noticed that the first time...
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    So besides a $75 cd on amazon at the moment... any other way to get this one? Digital or physical is fine. I never got my hands on this... shame. I have everything else. Agree with the drummer comment - he is superb.
    here is one for you

http://www.discogs.com/sell/release/3229089?ev=rb

With some effort I've managed to pick up all DeM CDs this past year (never paying more than $30-35; in my experience you've just gotta be (a) patient and (b) do some good sleuthing, not just checking google's first page of results), and all I can say is wow. I'd reviewed the two on cuneiform, so the prospect of a new one - any time! - is exciting news. I'm not overly fond of their first two albums - ok, but not great -but think they found themselves truly with this disc. What an absolute stunner.

I, fortunately, have all but the most recent two albums of theirs on CD. Hoping to find them both, if anyone has any suggestions?

Best to go straight to the source: http://waysidemusic.com/search.aspx?...eus+ex+machina
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I have all but the self titled 2nd album and the 2nd live one. De Republica is my favorite and one that I play quite regularly.
    Later ones I find they go more towards fusion, although they're quite good I like De Republica more because I feel the rock factor is higher.
    I also share enthusiasm over the prospect of a new album, especially since keyboardist Ricciadello is back with the band.

This may be a dumb question but how can the band offer their early albums for free but not be able to do a proper reissue?

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge View Post

This may be a dumb question but how can the band offer their early albums for free but not be able to do a proper reissue?
    This is pure speculation: They don't really have the legal rights to offer them for free either...
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    This is pure speculation: They don't really have the legal rights to offer them for free either...
    Thanks for the reply Steve. Now I'm not sure if I should download the two albums I don't have.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    With some effort I've managed to pick up all DeM CDs this past year (never paying more than $30-35; in my experience you've just gotta be (a) patient and (b) do some good sleuthing, not just checking google's first page of results), and all I can say is wow. I'd reviewed the two on cuneiform, so the prospect of a new one - any time! - is exciting news. I'm not overly fond of their first two albums - ok, but not great -but think they found themselves truly with this disc. What an absolute stunner.
    Ahem - I'm pretty sure I played some DeM for you at some point over the last 15 years.

+1 on Claudio the drummer. He's a monster.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Ahem - I'm pretty sure I played some DeM for you at some point over the last 15 years.

+1 on Claudio the drummer. He's a monster.
    Yes, you did. But buying the CDs other than what was on cuneiform at reasonable prices was difficult...but I did it, in the past year.

When you played me DeM the first time I'm not sure I was ready for it....but later I was.

So, thank you for getting me started!!
    Last edited by jkelman; 07-09-2015 at 11:55 AM.

... and I v got a spare copy of Imparis, if anyone is keen...

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    And I'm the opposite. I used to have this disc and got rid of it. I really liked the band and the music they were making but couldn't handle the vocals. I'm not saying he's a bad singer by any means; let's just say that his style isn't my cup of tea and leave it at that. I tried to get past that but couldn't. It might've been different if there were long instrumental sections, but the band never goes off on their own for long, or at least that's how I thought I remembered it. Oh well, different strokes!
    I share your feelings about this particular album. Though I'm ok with Piras most of the time. I like the vocals in DEM much more than the vocals Area, who inspired Piras (the vocals are the primary reason I hardly ever play my Area discs)

If you wanna give em another try, they *did* do an album with a bit less vocals and more instrumental stretching out, it's called Equilibrismo da Insofferenza.
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 07-08-2015 at 06:40 PM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Brilliant album by one of the best post-90's prog bands!

Great prog, prog-fusion with a touch of avant-garde from time to time.

World class chops by every member. Great compositions. Incredible energy. Amazing live. The complete package.

I saw them live 5 times.

The best was at a tiny bowling alley turned bar/club in Highland Park, Ca called Mr. T's Bowl.

Maybe 50 other people max were there to experience this incredible night of music.
    Last edited by simon moon; 07-09-2015 at 08:29 PM.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Love this band. Looking forward to anything new.

Even AltrOck probably can not make this happen....
    haha maybe so. Anyway we DID talk about it a couple of months ago in a meeting, i did my best to persuade them, they sounded positive, but again, you never know.
    "hot blooded" people, damned italians! LOL
    Maybe you could try to ask them again yourself, two pokes are better than one

The danes are sometimes called the italians of scandinavia, and that allegory makes sense here. In 1999 Kraan albums were all OOP, and Kraan didn't own the rights either (now they do), AND the guitarist Peter Wolbrandt was completely broke. I (and a friend) had just made the Kraan.dk fan site - So in the name of anarchy we contacted Peter, asked him if he would design an album cover for a live boot CDR from Copenhagen and make & sell this and the OOP CDR's for the fans who asked us all the times. This worked fine for a short while, I think Peter sold quite a lot - then (off course) The rights-owner contacted us to stop the boot, and shortly after the albums got reissued.
    Happy ending.

Quote Originally Posted by sergio View Post
    ... and I v got a spare copy of Imparis, if anyone is keen...
    I love mine. I got the 2 disc for the dvd and seeing these guys live again and watching them up close is mind blowing.

This thread got me spinning Imparis last night. What a great album! I think that every album of theirs has something to love, so it's time to revisit all of the 5 that I have. I'm missing "Deus Ex Machina", "Non Est Ars Quae Ad Effectum Casus Venit" and "Diacronie Metronomiche."

On one hand I'm grateful I could get my ears on this album with the download off last.fm --- but damn if they dont have all those mixed up and out of wack. Some tracks are live cuts from other albums and whatnot --- and for me a total disaster. If I'm missing a song from the album I freak... oh well. I'll take what I can and shut my face. lol Having not heard this one I'm blown away. Its hot! Love it. Now to get it proper and spend a couple bucks.