Thread: Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds on AXS this week

Banned

Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds on AXS this week

It's the 2006 DVD:

In 1978 Jeff Wayne composed and produced one of the most groundbreaking and best-selling musical works of all time. In 2006 after much anticipation Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version of The War of The Worlds was brought to the stage for the first time, playing to sold-out arenas across the UK. The War of The Worlds Live is a spectacular mix of live music, theatre, multi-media and visual arts on a grand scale. It combines the brilliance of the original performers including Jeff Wayne, Justin Hayward, Chris Thompson and even the late Richard Burton (‘In Sight and Sound’) along with a brand new cast, the 10-piece Black Smoke Band, the 48-piece ULLAdubULLA Strings and an unforgettable fully operating 30ft Martian Fighting Machine.

The disembodied necroctic robot head of Richard Burton! ! NOT TO BE MISSED!!!!

Cool, thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    The disembodied necroctic robot head of Richard Burton! ! NOT TO BE MISSED!!!!
    I stumbled on this around 1am while flipping through the channels over the weekend. I'd never heard the album, so I watched the last hour or so - can't say it convinced me that I was really missing much.

That robotic head though - that was spellbinding.
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

One of the hugest train wrecks I've ever seen. That disembodied head was creepy beyond belief!

I personally really enjoyed this show and the Next Generation that came out a couple of years ago. I'd much rather see this than Trans-Siberian Acrobatics...
    Peter

WOTW is one of my all time favourite albums. It is cheesy as hell but I never understood such claims as "yuck, this is prog gone disco". Sure, there are some disco-y elements but you don't really think anyone was dancing to that record right? I simply love the music, the way the story is told, the way the album sounds. And those final "Ullahs" in Dead London still give me the chills. The first incarnation of the live show was pretty cool to see.

But ... why on Earth did Wayne needed to updated the whole album as a Next Generation production. Everything I liked about it has been stripped away and 'modern' elements bolted on to it. Ah well, he probably needs the regular income but I have no need to hear that again or see that version of the show.

The Next Generation production is fine as long as you ignore the prologue and epilogue
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    The Next Generation production is fine as long as you ignore the prologue and epilogue
    Peter
    Or the middle. Don't get me wrong, I'm a long time fan of WOTW, but this production is just plain bad.