Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 20 years from now...the future of music

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    maybe, just maybe, the current trend in popular music will abruptly circle back to an aesthetic that demands musicians that possess honest-to-goodness skills & talent that they honed over a course of years, and live concerts will once again feature live musicians playing in real time with no backing tracks and no lip-synching.
    Quote Originally Posted by Klothos
    I predict it looks good, and I'll tell you why. Already, technology is getting to the point of replacing humans that even VSTi vocal instruments have been developed and are being employed ( i.e. Yamaha Vocaloid, Aquestone 2, etc) that I think we are already at a diverging cusp, hence the recent appearance of all things retro in a lot of popular music today not to mention "real music" indie record labels (such as "Our Label Records" out of Germany among many that have sprung up in the last few years) There is going to be a demand for "real music by real musicians" that popular music is beginning to split into two major aggregate branches: technological and organic. Don't be surprised if you don't see terms similar to "Organic Music" or "Real Music" (this one will start countless debates) start appearing and taking root much in the same way the term "Electronica" did in the 90s.
    This and this.

Good music will always survive, trends will come and go but all those gnashing their teeth and predicting the end of the music industry will be proven wrong, again.

The Who's 70th Anniversary tour featuring no original members.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    The Who's 70th Anniversary tour featuring no original members.
    The Who's 70th Anniversary tour, featuring all original members (including Keith Moon) -- either cloned or holograms.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    That photo of Steve Howe that you posted is much too doctored up just to make him look better, Jen.
    I think it's actually from about ten years ago... lol
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    You won't have to leave your home to attend a live concert. The virtual reality will handle it all for you.

That's how I saw Emperor live at a festival last year.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    The Who's 70th Anniversary tour, featuring all original members (including Keith Moon) -- either cloned or holograms.
    did you see the Hawkwind robots videos on youtube? They even stuck Calvert in there

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    To make a serious post:

I predict it looks good, and I'll tell you why. Already, technology is getting to the point of replacing humans that even VSTi vocal instruments have been developed and are being employed ( i.e. Yamaha Vocaloid, Aquestone 2, etc) that I think we are already at a diverging cusp, hence the recent appearance of all things retro in a lot of popular music today not to mention "real music" indie record labels (such as "Our Label Records" out of Germany among many that have sprung up in the last few years) There is going to be a demand for "real music by real musicians" that popular music is beginning to split into two major aggregate branches: technological and organic. Don't be surprised if you don't see terms similar to "Organic Music" or "Real Music" (this one will start countless debates) start appearing and taking root much in the same way the term "Electronica" did in the 90s. I think in 20 years, the two camps will be clearly defined (with the usual smattering of "crossovers" like we see in almost anything).
    I sincerely hope you're right and if you are, you might want to change your handle name to "Nostradamus."

In twenty years I'll still be playing my CDs.

There will still be good music and crappy music, and there will probably still be people like us arguing over which is which.......

The robots of Kraftwerk start another series of tours and play at the start of the Tour de France.

In 20 years when that guy finds a guitar in a cave and takes it to the Temple he'll wish he hadn't.

Yeah, I know Rush said that was going to be in more like 100 years but I think they're fooing themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Will there be anything then to still play them on?
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

yup, if still alive, I will also still concentrate obn my CDs, rater than vinyls (yjey're more timeless)

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    not even an urban legend, just a weak figment of imagination
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Sure there will. 20 years is nothing. Cassette players and turntables are still around. Now, 100 years from now?

Sure there will. 20 years is nothing. Cassette players and turntables are still around. Now, 100 years from now?
    3d printed wax cylinders
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    3d printed wax cylinders
    Actually... the problem with mechanical media is that it wears out with use, rather quickly. Making a record on a 3D printer for short term use and printing a new one when it starts to deteriorate may really be the way the old school vinyl people roll in just a few years!

20 years from now there will be no more music. We will all sit in front of the washing machine and jam to the whooshing sound.

...and I'll take Geezer at -4.
    Sorry buddy
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

^^^
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    20 years from now there will be no more music. We will all sit in front of the washing machine and jam to the whooshing sound.

...and I'll take Geezer at -4.
    Sorry buddy

So we'll all be listening to Merzbow?