Thread: Utravox - Brilliant

Jon Neudorf

Utravox - Brilliant

I remember a thread on the old ears but I thought this album deserves more discussion. I only recently acquired it (Christmas present from a good friend) and I absolutely love it. Midge Ure's voice has subtlety changed but still sounds great and the melodies are excellent along with some interesting sounds/effects like violin (the last couple of tracks I believe). Overall, this is a beauty and sits nicely beside "Lament" in my collection. Although this might not be considered "progressive" I still think it belongs on the main board. Comments....

Regards,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    I remember a thread on the old ears but I thought this album deserves more discussion. I only recently acquired it (Christmas present from a good friend) and I absolutely love it. Midge Ure's voice has subtlety changed but still sounds great and the melodies are excellent along with some interesting sounds/effects like violin (the last couple of tracks I believe). Overall, this is a beauty and sits nicely beside "Lament" in my collection. Although this might not be considered "progressive" I still think it belongs on the main board. Comments....

Regards,
    Jon
    Probably need to give this another chance as it didn't grab me on first few listens. Maybe it's a grower ?

They're playing NY in two weeks. I'll try to go.

Quote Originally Posted by scags View Post
    They're playing NY in two weeks. I'll try to go.
    Looks to me like it's just Midge Ure touring, not the band.

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/201...ates-ultravox/

Tom

Thanks- it was listed ( I think) as Ultravox. I would have been real angry to show up for just Midge (even though I get in there free). I was hoping for the other way around, the band, no Midge, and Foxx.

Banned
    I just have a best of but "Vienna" is a great song and tons of other great tracks on the comp. I had. I'd go see Midge Ure if they toured in NJ or E Pa.

Brilliant was a big letdown, none of the classic Ultravox sound at all. It sounded like really bland 80s AOR music.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"'Thin Thighs For Your Man.' But I don't *like* men with thin thighs" --Daria

N.P.:“Ripendando e...”-Alphataurus/Attosecondo

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Brilliant was a big letdown, none of the classic Ultravox sound at all. It sounded like really bland 80s AOR music.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"'Thin Thighs For Your Man.' But I don't *like* men with thin thighs" --Daria

N.P.:“Ripendando e...”-Alphataurus/Attosecondo
    Respectfully disagree.

Regards,
    Jon

PE Member since 7/14/2001 rushfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    I'd go see Midge Ure if they toured in NJ or E Pa.
    Midge plays World Cafe on Jan. 10

Banned
    sweet, Thanks!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I like it
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

finally listened to it all – just got a review together

Ultravox | “Brilliant” | Chrysalis

So I finally got to listen to this one in its entirety. What does it sound like? That innocent question is appropriate enough, some 26 years after that version of Ultravox last recorded together (there were a couple of interim configurations led by Billy Currie in the 1990s that did next to nowt). These long lay-offs can either symbolize the ushering in of something entirely new or a strict restaurative effort of the glories that were left behind. Sadly the latter seems to be the case. Happily I don't mind whatsoever and neither should you.

“Brilliant” is not a radical throwback to the early post-punk days of the then John Foxx-fronted band. With Midge Ure returning my bet would have been further exploration of his early time with the band which was still firmly rooted in the band's avantgarde sentiments and a firm düsseldorfian slant, mostly provided by famed krautrock-producer Conny Plank. “Brilliant” offers none of these. This really is the logical successor to 1984’s “Lament” which saw the band on its commercial peak with their own brand of dramatic, synthesized windswept rock. What to many may seem as a path of least resistance traveled and firm comfort zone building is, in fact, a clever move which is conditioned by the experience that, in their prime, they were a unique band. A damn good one at that.

That experience can be detected as recent as their welcome return in early 2009. Many were surprised how dignified the reformed band presented itself on stage and how well even their most commercial material has aged. Since two members had entirely left the music industry since – Chris Cross became a practicing psychotherapist while Warren Cann took his electronic drums experimentation further into professional software development – that fact is even more notable. This was a natural and unpressured comeback and thus very welcome – carried on the stuff that I grew up with and luckily ended up appreciating even more in middle age.

Here is what is on it: twelve snappy one-word titles that sit comfortably within the gamut of albums like “Vienna”, “Quartet”, “Lament” and the seminal “Rage in Eden”. There is some mild progress apparent in form of the odd electronica influx, some dance loops, post-rockish guitar washes (most prominently in “Flow”) and the added bonus of some welcome old age rasp in Midge Ure’s vocals. Other than that it is the Ultravox that I grew up on and I don't mind the slightest. Billy Currie especially is on top form with plenty of chiming CP70 grand and those unmistakeably sinewy synth lines which permeate most tracks. The perfect smart-pop of the title track would have been a major hit single in either 1983 or any more benign musical environment and the uplifting “Rise” could be one of the best songs that the band has ever come up with in its perfect match of Ure’s folkiness and Currie’s boffin-like studio trickery.

It is notable that the album could have either been released in the early 1980s or as late as 2012 – such is its capacity to act as an encapsulation of the best known public template for Ultravox. Herein lies its problem – the album is expertly produced (by ZTT-intimus Steve Lipson) and packaged in classic Peter Savile constructivism but does not really point into any future direction and, ultimately, leaves little room to imagine where the quartet of Ure, Currie, Cross and Cann might head for next. I have a distinct feeling that it mainly serves to provide a final hurrah and to clear up some unfinished business. Because Ultravox and their audience have proven to themselves this is a band to grow old with/in it could either prove to be an expert late closure to a storied career or – given time – a missed opportunity.

The greatest compliment that could be made is that Ultravox sit comfortably above any 80’s nostalgia circuit with so much staying power of their material apparent. Besides their latter day delusions of grandeur they have managed to retain their erstwhile intellectual-punk spike which is helpful to retain their acclaim and validity. They have it in their skilfull hands to make the most of it. “Brilliant” is a welcome addition but there could be more.

i really like this one – one of their best ever (see above):

Jon Neudorf
    Nice to see this thread rejuvenated.

Regards,
    Jon

With the recent passing of George Martin - Ultravox's Quartet album is one his productions that doesn't get talked about much

I really enjoyed Brilliant and Midge Ure's last solo album, Fragile released in 2014 I thought was even better. More adventurous and I think he was even featured in Prog magazine at the time of its release.

MASSIVE Ultravox and Midge Ure fan, me. I think I have all the albums on vinyl.

It has some nice songs, but sonically it is painful to listen to with all the mastering compression.

Another Big UV fan here. They were one of the real hip synth bands in the early 80s that I actually really enjoyed. Still listen to All Stood Still.... what a cool song.

Jim