Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Art Zoyd 44.5 Anniversary Box And Tour

I will sell my soul to the devil for this box set. Seriously though.....this will be limited??? Time for me to start saving.

But the real question is - will it be a 12"X12" box???

The box will be CD sized, not LP sized.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Enid View Post
    I will sell my soul to the devil for this box set. Seriously though.....this will be limited??? Time for me to start saving.
    Absolutely limited. I hope and expect it to be gone in 18 months or less.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Absolutely limited. I hope and expect it to be gone in 18 months or less.
    Why Steve? Is it the limitation on finances in order to produce more quantities? Usually that is the deal with either the band or an investor. Which is why I cannot obtain the first two Julverne cd's. Could you confirm this...sometimes I feel like I'm talking to a wall. Do you have any idea how many copies were manufactured? Just curious.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Manufacturing costs go up for smaller runs and something like this has a limited audience, it's a tricky balance of risk of stock left versus more sales, once you've sold to 90% of the potential customers the pool of further buyers is tiny for follow up runs. Apologies to Steve if I've mistated anything.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Why Steve? Is it the limitation on finances in order to produce more quantities? Usually that is the deal with either the band or an investor. Which is why I cannot obtain the first two Julverne cd's. Could you confirm this...sometimes I feel like I'm talking to a wall. Do you have any idea how many copies were manufactured? Just curious.
    Why?
    Because it will cost a small fortune and doing that once is enough.

Why do you care? There will be enough made for initial demand. After that, the market for physical items greatly diminishes and reprints and storage costs are very expensive.

Basically eerything we release is a limited edition now; there's only a limited number of people interested in buying physical products.

Too many fans don't understand how small the market for this stuff always was historically and how much more diminished it is now.
    Last edited by Steve F.; 08-28-2016 at 04:18 PM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Why?
    Because it will cost a small fortune and doing that once is enough.

Why do you care? There will be enough made for initial demand. After that, the market for physical items greatly diminishes and reprints and storage costs are very expensive.

Basically eerything we release is a limited edition now; there's only a limited number of people interested in buying physical products.

Too many fans don't understand how small the market for this stuff always was historically and how much more diminished it is now.

It's a case of a number of people not purchasing the item in timely fashion, the item goes out of print and isn't reissued right away and then that's when you start to hear about the item's rare value and witness a good percentage of people talking about it , dying to trade something rare for it or placing their bid or saving hundreds of dollars to buy it. That's their problem because they couldn't afford to buy it when it was released. It's profound and collectors get themselves in a sling over that. But there's not much we can do but release limited editions. I understand...it's just a real burden when beautiful things go out of print.

The box will be CD sized, not LP sized.
    I was obviously joking, I couldn't care less in what package it comes...

It's a case of a number of people not purchasing the item in timely fashion, the item goes out of print and isn't reissued right away and then that's when you start to hear about the item's rare value and witness a good percentage of people talking about it , dying to trade something rare for it or placing their bid or saving hundreds of dollars to buy it. That's their problem because they couldn't afford to buy it when it was released. It's profound and collectors get themselves in a sling over that. But there's not much we can do but release limited editions. I understand...it's just a real burden when beautiful things go out of print.
    Problem comes when you are low in stock on something so you press another 300, then your distribution orders 40 of them and nobody is in a rush to buy it because they know you'll keep it in print as long as they feel like procrastinating. I think this is less of an issue if you are managing a small number of titles (so Joe Artist who is self-releasing and makes a commitment to keep everything in print, that's great!), but it doesn't scale.

Other thing that may apply is rights. If any part of the set was hard to clear, the odds of keeping it in print diminish quite a bit. If the artist already owns everything free and clear and is licensing to Steve, then there are fewer people who have to be kept happy.

Sorry didn't mean to rant. I'm always too late in picking a CD up ,....as I'm often behind. I gotta figure out a way of purchasing this even if I have to sell cd's to do it. All the days I spend listening to Art Zoyd....I can't pass on it. I hope I can get it

For the first 22 - 24 years of Cuneiform, catalog was hugely important. Now, with a few exceptions, if it doesn't sell in physical format in 30 months TOPS, it will never sell and I will end up throwing them away.

Get used to it; it's the way it's going to be and if anything, the window to sell it will be shorter than what I have said above. Count on it!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

It's a case of a number of people not purchasing the item in timely fashion, the item goes out of print and isn't reissued right away...
    People buy it or they don't.

The fact that they didn't do so when they had ample opportunity just isn't something that ANYONE who manufactures something that someone only buys once, like a CD box set by Art Zoyd, can afford to be concerned about.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Hi Steve F.
    When is the release date ? Thanks

^^^^

More info soon.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Ok Thanks my friend.

Oooooooooooh drooling

I'm in!

Nice cover!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Nice cover!
    Thank you. There's a ton of beautiful artwork by Max Franosch included.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Thank you. There's a ton of beautiful artwork by Max Franosch included.
    Yeah the artwork on that is stunning - let alone the contents.

Save one for moi.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide