Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Art Zoyd 44.5 Anniversary Box And Tour

Art Zoyd 44.5 Anniversary Box And Tour

Art Zoyd are launching a fund raising project to help finance their 44.5 Anniversary tour that will commence at the RIO Festival in September with solid plans to play in Japan and perhaps the US
    A lot of work is put into this including transcribing the old compositions and extensive rehearsals with pat members Zaboitzeff Jean-Jean Pierre Soarez and Daniel Denis
    A 11 cd box set of unreleased archival recordings is in the works plans for release late 2015 / early 2016 !
    I hope all fans will participate in helping this become an amazing event
    Info :
    http://fr.ulule.com/artzoyd-concert/

Zaboitzeff and Soarez are back in the fold - permanently, or just for this tour? Will they record anything new, do you know?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Zaboitzeff and Soarez are back in the fold - permanently, or just for this tour? Will they record anything new, do you know?
    I am sure if this project will prove successful it will pave way for further endeavors

Holy cow!
    It says the show will be two and a half hours, does this also include the RIO show? (usually in festivals the shows are shorter?)
    I cant wait to see them there... even thinking seriously about the 150 euro backstage reward

PS- where is Patricia Dallio? wasnt she a member from the begining up until now?
    Last edited by flytomars; 07-01-2015 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    where is Patricia Dallio? wasnt she a member from the begining up until now?
    She's been more or less on and off, I think. I remember reading somewhere that she has made a carreer out of writing jingles and music for TV (films, features, documentaries, news bulletins) and stage/theatre, so there's presumably less time for band endeavours. Her solo album from the early 90s, Procession, is quite beautiful.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 07-01-2015 at 09:33 AM.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Art Zoyd in the U.S.? I've only fantasized over such possibilities. Additionally ...two fine releases from Patricia Dallio are "La Ronce N'est Pas Le Pire" and "Barbe Bleue". Pick these up, you won't be sorry. I play these around the house and they are hauntingly beautiful.

Patricia Dallio joined the band 10 years into its existence (1979), so not an original member by any stretch... She did stay through their most productive period (although she's not on "Phase IV"), and even after Zaboitzeff left and it became more of a faceless ensemble with a revolving cast she was part of most (but not all) of their projects. I guess she's moved on now.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Enid View Post
    Art Zoyd in the U.S.? I've only fantasized over such possibilities.
    I saw Art Zoyd in the USA in the late 1980s at Lincoln Center in NYC. Since it was pushed as the famous movie "Nosferatu" with live musical accompaniment, there was a packed house.

There was a tiny number of folks there for Art Zoyd and about 1900 for the movie!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

This sounds fantastic!

Does anyone know if there's any way to read the page in English? I selected English in the upper right corner but that just changes the currency.

Quote Originally Posted by selfextraction View Post
    This sounds fantastic!

Does anyone know if there's any way to read the page in English? I selected English in the upper right corner but that just changes the currency.
    I used google translate, which only helped a little..

I'd certainly love to see Art Zoyd here in the States. If it were a year or two ago, I'd say they'd have a perfect opportunity, touring behind the (then) recent release of the restored Metropolis.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Wow !
    I've seen them 3 (or is it 4) times. Everybody should !

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I saw Art Zoyd in the USA in the late 1980s at Lincoln Center in NYC. Since it was pushed as the famous movie "Nosferatu" with live musical accompaniment, there was a packed house.

There was a tiny number of folks there for Art Zoyd and about 1900 for the movie!
    I can't believe they were actually here in commercial America. Nosferatu was their ticket to the U.S.? Have they been back since that time? Seeing Art Zoyd in the flesh must have been a totally unique experience.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Me wanty box set.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Enid View Post
    Seeing Art Zoyd in the flesh must have been a totally unique experience.
    Ironically, when they tour with film (Nosferatu, Metropolis, Faust or Häxan) - which is when they draw a crowd of sorts - the band itself mostly sits in the dark, just playin'.

But then again, who the hell would bother to attend a friggin' Laibach gig if there wasn't some sort of mock artistic twist to their enstagement?

I saw them perform Berlin, The marriage, music to 4 silent movies (with Daniel Denis), and latest to Metrolpolis (out doors)
    Great shows all of them and full house everytime as I recall it..

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

Mmhhh!!!!... This could make me attend RIO Fest if they're around and playing

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Holy cow!
    It says the show will be two and a half hours, does this also include the RIO show? (usually in festivals the shows are shorter?)
    I cant wait to see them there... even thinking seriously about the 150 euro backstage reward

PS- where is Patricia Dallio? wasnt she a member from the begining up until now?
    Who am I to say this, but I'd rather that, in the light of the last two decades (saw them tw/hr/ice dring that time lapse), that she's either not around, or not taking big decisions (unless they go the way I'd like too)

I simply don't care for what she's done to AZ since she took control (it's too "out there" for me)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I simply don't care for what she's done to AZ since she took control (it's too "out there" for me)
    I might be wrong but It seems to me you are exaggerating her role
    as far as I know since Zab left its Gerard holding the reins all the way

I like what she is doing. It certainly makes their music differ from other bands
    Her first soloalbum Procession (1992) is really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

So it's sorta like the deal with the Goblin US tour a couple years ago, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    I might be wrong but It seems to me you are exaggerating her role
    as far as I know since Zab left its Gerard holding the reins all the way
    I just checked AZ, and I personally thought Hourbette had been out for around 20 years... So my bad...

When I saw AZ early this century, it was around Metropolis and the Experience de Vol, and it was all Dallio... or it certainly was presented as such to whatevver little crowd there was at their concerts and press events (I don't even think Gerard's name was even mentionned, if memory)

Having just checked in PA... half the time on albums credits (if PA is trustworthy enough), Hourbette is either absent or mentionned as "management". So yeah, I'll give Dallio some slack.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Love Art Zoyd! If they are able to make it to the states I would certainly do all I could to make that show.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Some info on the show:

Extracts from :
    Symphonie pour le jour oů bruleront les cités,
    Phase IV,
    Espaces inquiets,
    Le mariage du ciel et de l’enfer,
    Berlin,
    Nosferatu,
    Marathonnerre,
    Faust,
    Ubique
    Metropolis
    La Chute de la Maison Usher

STATEMENT OF INTENT Gerard
    44 and a half by Art Zoyd, or almost 45 years, is a true event as it concerns the entire existence
    of the group (intact and unmovable since 1969 (according to whose viewpoint we are talking
    about).
    For the occasion, we are preparing a grand concert (already in the line-up for the RIO (Rock in
    Opposition) festival in Carmaux near Albi, and at the “Abbatoirs” in Bourgoin-Jallieu) that could
    be played in any number of places in the future.
    The pieces are still in the process of being reorchestrated and rehearsed and will form a show
    lasting over two hours.
    There will be nine or ten musicians, if I count myself: 4 from the present group (2 keyboards,
    including Martenot waves, 2 percussionists (see line up) + Thierry Zaboitzeff (base guitarist,
    cello player and composer from 1971 to 1996), Jean-Pierre Soarez (trumpet player from 1976
    to 1985), Serge Bertocchi (saxophones), 1 violonist/viola player (Michael Nick), and Daniel
    Denis from Univers Zéro (percussion & pads)….
    The idea is to show that this music written in the late seventies/early eighties to the present
    can be part of our repertoire and be played again whenever the fancy takes us, by new
    musicians or with new arrangements, that may be spectacular or imaginative.
    It is a recital, more or less chronological, of the pieces that are considered as our reference or
    "cult" pieces (our records or CDs are still sold, talked about or reissued 20 or 40 years on). The
    concert will therefore only include pieces from Art Zoyd's repertoire, from Symphonie pour le
    jour oů brűleront les cités (Symphony for the Day Cities Will Burn) to The Fall of the House of
    Usher, including Nosferatu, Berlin, Marathonnerre, Phase IV and so on.
    I had been toying with the (wonderful awful) idea of replaying all these "old" pieces for a long
    time.But I wasn't alone: my co-writer Thierry Zaboitzeff, who left the band in 1997 had been
    thinking along the same lines…
    This event will not only mark my reunion with Thierry after 18 years, but also with our original
    trumpet player, Jean-Pierre Soarez, under the watchful but benevolent eye of Daniel Denis,
    the founder of Univers Zéro, who played with us both live and on many of our early albums.
    It is a unique project, the sort you can bring out for a 45th, 50th, 60th or 100th anniversary. A
    real ceremony, a party (with magic, black of course), a festival of music that covers all styles
    and types of instrument(arium)s brought together by people who haven't played together for a
    long time or who even haven't even played together before.
    We will also be putting out a box set of eleven CDS of unreleased music, including live
    recordings, music for theatre, ballets, exhibitions or other events.
    Gérard Hourbette – Art Zoyd - 2015