Thread: Free Offer to Two Steven Wilson Fans

Free Offer to Two Steven Wilson Fans

Just came back from Steven Wilson's Gatineau show, just across the river from Ottawa, where I live. A tremendous show, as expected. Review to follow, as usual, at All About Jazz.

My wife and I were fortunate enough to get after show access and, as I've done with other artists, I am now the holder of two after show passes that I thought two of you Steven Wilson fans might like for your collection.

They are dated and I will be marking VOID on them to make sure nobody tries to use them. This is a matter of trust folks, and if anyone were to try to use them, they would be ruining trust I've built with the artists over years. So please respect that.

Okdoke, so for the first two people who email me at jkelman.aaj@gmail.com, one of these passes will be yours, gratis. Just send me your name and snail mail address and I'll send one of them to you.

Two conditions:
    1. These are absolutely NOT to be used to try and get into any future aftershows. Ever.
    2. They are not to be put up for sale. Ever.

I am offering them for free (including postage) because I think there might be some folks out there who'd enjoy having one in their collection, nothing more. If you're interested, send me an email and if you're one of the lucky first two, then one shall be yours as my gift to you.....

Cheers!
    John

I'm not sure I get it. You are giving away free passes that you already used? If that's the case I don't see what the appeal would be for anyone except yourself. If it was me I'd just keep them as souvineers.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I thought the Gatineau show was wonderful. Glad you enjoyed it too.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post

I am offering them for free (including postage) because I think there might be some folks out there who'd enjoy having one in their collection, nothing more. If you're interested, send me an email and if you're one of the lucky first two, then one shall be yours as my gift to you.....

Cheers!
    John
    That's a really nice and thoughtful offer -never mind the snarky comments above. Some one out there will get pleasure from adding one of those passes to their collection of SW ephemera.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I'm not sure I get it. You are giving away free passes that you already used? If that's the case I don't see what the appeal would be for anyone except yourself. If it was me I'd just keep them as souvineers.
    My interpretation was that jkelman has two free passes that he did not/cannot use, and was just offering them as collector's items. No doubt he has many souvenirs of his own.

I'm not the "collector's item" type, so I don't really get the appeal either, but if others do, more power to them.

As a matter of fact I still have a few concert ticket stubs that I have kept over the years, and am wondering why I bother. It's not as if I don't remember thoseshows, and if I did start to forget them, they would not do much to help me recall it - unlike, for example, a souvenir program with artist biographies and photos, which I can definitely see the value of.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 07-01-2015 at 04:31 AM.

I don't need to keep them as souvenirs. I've done this with other after show passes on other forums and people have always nibbled. Pat Metheny, for example. There are some folks who collect things that I don't (the hang was plenty for me).

If nobody wants them here, that's fine. But I see no reason to question what has always been taken as a nice gesture by other folks. I have these passes that have no value to me but I thought might to someone. Obviously I cannot give away after show passes that could be used; that would be breaching the trust I've got with the artists. But for some folks who like to collect all manner of things by their favourite artists, I thought that it would be nice to offer them as mementos, rather than toss them in the garbage.

Sheesh.
    Last edited by jkelman; 07-01-2015 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    My interpretation was that jkelman has two free passes that he did not/cannot use, and was just offering them as collector's items. No doubt he has many souvenirs of his own.
    No. Bob, I did use them (wth my wife nicely included) but don't collect such things myself. My souvenir is the memory of a great performance and a really pleasant hang after the show.

And Valen? Thanks for seeing the offer for what it is. I never expected it to turn into a topic for discussion; this has, frankly, taken me aback as it's never happened to me before on other forums.

Update: One claimed; one remaining.

I'm not interested since I prefer things like this only if I attended but I apologize if my comments offended anyone. It seems your intentions are in the right place and I commend you for that. I myself collect things so I guess I couldn't relate. No snarkiness meant though.

I'm not interested since I prefer things like this only if I attended but I apologize if my comments offended anyone. It seems your intentions are in the right place and I commend you for that. I myself collect things so I guess I couldn't relate. No snarkiness meant though.
    Thsnks. Much appreciated.

Just sent you an email in case the last remaining pass is still unclaimed. I'd love to have it for my SW collection.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    Just sent you an email in case the last remaining pass is still unclaimed. I'd love to have it for my SW collection.
    You've got it! And they are now both spoken for. Please just email me your snail mail addy and it'll be yours. oops. Sorry, I see you included your address in your sig. It'll be off to you in the net 2-3 days. To the two of you who got them, please let me know when they are received.

Enjoy!
    Best!
    John