Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which prog musicians(not bands) have been the most influential on the genre?

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I never heard of this van Vliet character. was he a musician, a producer, a band frontman, or what?
    He is rock legend - without even an 'a'. And without selling much.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I think Michael Giles also deserves a mention for reinventing drumming in a way that seems to have influenced numerous prog drummers in the 70s.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by bennymania View Post
    AKA Captain Beefheart.
    Oh.

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    I think Michael Giles also deserves a mention for reinventing drumming in a way that seems to have influenced numerous prog drummers in the 70s.
    Well, he was a member of what arguably made for the single most influential UK progressive group. So you could probably argue that. Although I think Wyatt was an altogether just as influential drummer in the grand scheme of things.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post

And still going strong.Example?----Michael Giles MAD BAND.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Well, he was a member of what arguably made for the single most influential UK progressive group.
    Nope. ELP was the single most influential UK progressive group.

Wilson started up in the late 80s, got somewhat better known about 15 years after that and is primarily established within the confines of (certain branches of) "prog" music today (with the possible exception of some of his production or remixing jobs). Somehow I can't see how such a merit could have been particularly "influential" on a genre which to some degree ceased developments even before he got started. The fact that there are several bands citing him as source (40% apparently from Poland) doesn't put him in the class of people who were in the game before the guy was born.
    Hear, hear!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    Nope. ELP was the single most influential UK progressive group.
    Please let us all know which artists outside of the narrow confinements of the "proggy prog" were ever influenced by ELP. Other than perhaps Andre Lloyd Webber and the likes.

Hmm...Kraftwerk?

// Mattias

Suspended
    Please let us all know which artists outside of the narrow confinements of the "proggy prog" were ever influenced by ELP. Other than perhaps Andre Lloyd Webber and the likes.
    The thread is " Which prog musicians(not bands) have been the most influential on the genre? "
    Doesn't say "outside".

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    The thread is " Which prog musicians(not bands) have been the most influential on the genre? "
    Doesn't say "outside".
    In effect it probably should, though - seeing how it's not a self-contained "genre" in the first place but rather constantly reflects information from external sources. And even if you do impose a restriction of definition there, I can't see how ELP exhorted more influence than, say, Pink Floyd or King Crimson.

Re: Kraftwerk, of course, have been immensely important for the general developments in pop/rock music. So were Can.

Quote Originally Posted by Roth-Handle Studios View Post
    Hmm...Kraftwerk?

// Mattias
    Oh, sorry Ralf Hutter and Florian Schneider.