Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Music shops in Amsterdam

Thank you Trane! Worthy tips for purchase music in Brussels! Rarebird, thank you very much! I'm arriving in July 25, in Amsterdam. I will be on connection!

One more piece of advice. You can easily walk (or trolley) everywhere you need to go, don't even think of renting a car. However, when walking, STAY OFF THE RED SIDWALKS. Bicycle traffic in A'dam is constant and moves along at a brisk pace. If you as a pedestrian step into the bike lanes you're liable to get run down.

The bikers are unfailingly polite and forgiving, but they are commuting not out having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    Thank you Trane! Worthy tips for purchase music in Brussels! Rarebird, thank you very much! I'm arriving in July 25, in Amsterdam. I will be on connection!
    If looking for jazz albums, you won't have much in terms of new stuff, unless heading to the FNAC... or to Mark's Sound out in the boondocks (Stockel)...

As for Classdical, there are still five or six shops around town going great (including Boite à Musique, Ars musica and the one at La Monnaie >> inside the opera house), including in the afore-mentionned Mark's Sound in the boondocks

Actually your best bet to score new jazz is to go to classical record shops.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Thank so much, Trane! Really worthy info.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    One more piece of advice. You can easily walk (or trolley) everywhere you need to go, don't even think of renting a car. However, when walking, STAY OFF THE RED SIDWALKS. Bicycle traffic in A'dam is constant and moves along at a brisk pace. If you as a pedestrian step into the bike lanes you're liable to get run down.

The bikers are unfailingly polite and forgiving, but they are commuting not out having fun.
    Thanks rcarlberg! I'll watch attentively. I don't drive, and I don't use bike myself, so I think I'll walk or move by taxi..

Thanks rcarlberg! I'll watch attentively. I don't drive, and I don't use bike myself, so I think I'll walk or move by taxi..
    Taxi? Prepare to spend a lot of money. Do a bit of research and use the tram / bus system. Much cheaper and gets you pretty much anywhere you want to go. Check the website: www.gvb.nl

Thank so much, Trane! Really worthy info.
    and if you need museum and restaurant info (or even grab a bite together), don't hesitate

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Taxi? Prepare to spend a lot of money. Do a bit of research and use the tram / bus system. Much cheaper and gets you pretty much anywhere you want to go. Check the website: www.gvb.nl
    I'm always astonished at how expensive parking is as well - don't even think about not putting money in parkmeters, they'll nail you instantly and immobilize your car until you paid a hefty fine (though I heard this was judged illegal recently). A'dam is the double tarif over the other European capitals/major cities... around €5.00/h (Brussels is between 1.00 and 2.50/h depending on the neighbourhood.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

A'dam taxi prices looks expensive indeed. On par with London( 2.50 pounds) But I was told the city is not big...I was surpised that there are no equivalent to 'oyster card' - in London you pay for a week, covering all zones on any transport, including trains to surburban places. But if I need to take a tram ride, I can buy a ticket from a driver?...

There is a transit card, buy it at the GVB visitor center across the plaza from the train Central Station. They have daily cards, weekly cards, hourly cards.... Definitely the way to go. You can get ANYWHERE on the tram service.
    http://www.iamsterdam.com/en/local/a...blic-transport
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 07-17-2015 at 12:25 PM.

Thanks a lot, rcarlberg!

Hey, if you like holograms there's a tiny museum/shop at Grimburgwal 2 which had the biggest collection I'd ever seen.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/3-D-H...04754146312921
    http://www.3-dhologrammen.com/

Thanks a lot!

45kms NW of Amsterdam, in Alkmaar (let's say 40 minutes from Amsterdam Central train station, one way), you can visit the biggest Beatles museum (outside UK, most likely), this guy is world famous...
    and if you go on Friday mornings, you'll get to see the cheese market in front of the medieval city hall.

If you manage to get there, I'll pay you a drink.