Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 208

Thread: Bass Players

  1. #1

    Bass Players

    Still reeling from the death of my bass idol Chris Squire, got me thinking of other greats who have past, and also how many true originals are still living.

    Although we have lost the genius of Jaco Pastorius, Jack Bruce, Chris Squire, Pekka Pohjola and Doug Rauch, we are still fortunate to have these one of a kind bass players still bring us beautiful music:

    Stanley Clarke
    Anthony Jackson
    Abe Laboriel
    Percy Jones
    Pino Palladino
    Jannick Top
    Michael League
    John G. Perry
    Alphonso Johnson
    Alain Caron
    Will Lee
    Jeff Berlin
    Neil Jason
    Tony Levin

    Today lets celebrate the bass player, and salute those who have died, and those who live on.
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

  2. #2
    Oh No! Bass Solo! klothos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    305
    What?!? No mention of Louis Johnson (RIP) or Marcus Miller or Victor Wooten? <headscratch> Wassamatta? You dont like slap players?


    <----------- forte is slap bass

  3. #3
    Member Digital_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philly burbs PA
    Posts
    775
    He didn't mention Geddy Lee either which is a shame. Chris, Geddy and Tony Levin(who he did mention)are my favorites. Stanley Clarke is great too.

  4. #4
    I just mentioned my personal favorites. Obviously there are a lot more that deserve to be mentioned by you guys.

  5. #5
    Member helicase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    116
    Hugh Hopper

  6. #6
    Geriatric Anomaly progeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    9,844
    As far away in playing style as is humanly possible from Chris, but there is, after all, Jack Casady. He had a style as unique as all of our treble-happy favorites.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

    President Harry S. Truman

  7. #7
    Member AncientChord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mojave Desert
    Posts
    252
    I'm with you David. This one really hurts. Nick Beggs is a current favorite.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ProgUK View Post
    I just mentioned my personal favorites.
    Perhaps it's "a shame" that ol' Geddur isn't one of your faves...?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

  9. #9
    Member 2steves's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NYC and RBK, NY
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by ProgUK View Post
    Still reeling from the death of my bass idol Chris Squire, got me thinking of other greats who have past, and also how many true originals are still living.

    Although we have lost the genius of Jaco Pastorius, Jack Bruce, Chris Squire, Pekka Pohjola and Doug Rauch, we are still fortunate to have these one of a kind bass players still bring us beautiful music:

    Stanley Clarke
    Anthony Jackson
    Abe Laboriel
    Percy Jones
    Pino Palladino
    Jannick Top
    Michael League
    John G. Perry
    Alphonso Johnson
    Alain Caron
    Will Lee
    Jeff Berlin
    Neil Jason
    Tony Levin

    Today lets celebrate the bass player, and salute those who have died, and those who live on.
    Great list--I do hope Yes lays it to rest. Chris is not replaceable. Original Individual members like Howe or Anderson can tour with a great band and play Yes music. I would go see that. Just don't call it Yes. Anderson and Howe have done this in the past with other bands and it has sounded very nice.

  10. #10
    I agree. Yes should call it quits. Unfortunately the promise of making good money keeps them going

  11. #11
    Many of my faves are acoustic bassists.

    Charlie Haden
    Dave Holland
    Red Mitchell
    Ron Carter
    Richard Davis
    Cecil McBee
    Fred Hopkins
    Edgar Meyer

    also dig Steve Swallow, Anthony Jackson, Percy, and Jaco.

  12. #12
    Scott LaFaro was an amazing acoustic bass player that left us too soon!

  13. #13
    Member The Wall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Vadstena, Sweden
    Posts
    0
    Mick Karn...

  14. #14
    Philippe Bussonnet

    (Also, I'll second Jack Casady.)

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by ProgUK View Post
    I agree. Yes should call it quits. Unfortunately the promise of making good money keeps them going
    Yeah, I am pretty sure they will just slide Billy Sherwood in and carry on Billy is a great musician for sure, and will do a great job on bass, but I just think it sucks for Yes to carry on without Chris, Jon, and the other founding members.

  16. #16
    Hellmut Hattler.

    I spent a few years in Germany in the early 80s and almost every German said something along the lines "he's the best in the world, why do you always pick those English guys?".
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Parlin, New Jersey
    Posts
    1,392
    John Deacon

  18. #18
    Definitely Stanley Clarke, Tony Levin and Chris Squire were my top three. I also agree that any list of top bassists should include both Geddy Lee and Nick Beggs. I'd add Mark Egan, Patrick O'hearn, Bryan Beller, Mike Rutherford and Tal Wilkenfeld to the list. Others worth mentioning, maybe not among the best but certainly noteworthy are Joe Puerta, Colin Bass, John Wetton, Jon Camp, John Entwistle, Scott Thunes, Mike Gordon, Phil Lesh, John Paul Jones and John Jowitt.

  19. #19
    Member Burley Wright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Columbus, GA
    Posts
    38
    Many greats already listed, I'll mention Jonas Reingold.
    If I like it, it's good.

  20. #20
    Progga mogrooves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Past
    Posts
    1,751
    Ray Shulman
    Louis Cennamo
    Mont Campbell
    John Greaves
    Harvey Brooks
    Tony Reeves
    John Gustafson
    Steve York
    Jim Fielder
    Last edited by mogrooves; 06-28-2015 at 09:00 PM.
    Michael: "Harold, don't you have any other music, you know, from [last] century?"
    Harold: "There is no other music....."

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Moscow, RF
    Posts
    264
    Chris Squire
    John Wetton
    Jack Bruce
    Geddy Lee
    Mick Karn
    Jaco Pastorius
    John Entwistle
    Percy Jones
    John Paul Jones
    Gary Thain

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdotcom View Post
    Yeah, I am pretty sure they will just slide Billy Sherwood in and carry on Billy is a great musician for sure, and will do a great job on bass, but I just think it sucks for Yes to carry on without Chris, Jon, and the other founding members.
    Billy obviously has a say in that, and my guess is that he wouldn't go for it. He's helping Yes out in the short term to fulfill their existing contractual obligations, but I strongly doubt he'll rejoin full time. He was quite clear in that he wouldn't rejoin the band without Jon Anderson being present. I'm sure that goes double for a Yes without his good buddy Chris.

  23. #23
    Jack Bruce, Mike Porcaro and now Chris Squire gone, plus Glenn Cornick not that long ago. Many fine bass players folks have mentioned. Berry Oakley needs to be on the list, and of course, Charlie Haden.

  24. #24
    Oh No! Bass Solo! klothos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    What?!? No mention of Louis Johnson (RIP) or Marcus Miller or Victor Wooten? <headscratch> Wassamatta? You dont like slap players?


    <----------- forte is slap bass

    Quote Originally Posted by ProgUK View Post
    I just mentioned my personal favorites. Obviously there are a lot more that deserve to be mentioned by you guys.

    It was just a lil friendly ribbing on my part: you indeed had a great list of players up there....I, too, am deeply saddened by the passing of Chris Squire so I was just trying to lighten the tension a bit

    For me its very tough: Louis Johnson and Chris Squire passing within months of each other has taken a toll on my heart

  25. #25
    Chronic Overspender zombywoof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    All around the world. On land and in the sea.
    Posts
    338
    Jim Smith
    Check out Colouratura's sophomore release Unfamiliar Skies - out this spring on Melodic Revolution Records!

    colouratura.bandcamp.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •